Forums / Games / Halo: Reach and Legacy Halo

Your Own Spartan In Reach's Campaign

OP Nightcaster460

For the first time in the series, you can play as your custom Spartan in the campaign, which is awesome! It also means that you can be a female Spartan in the mode for the first time in Halo history. How did you feel about this when you first played Reach? Did you love the ability to play as your own Spartan in a Halo campaign?

It was brought back in Halo 4 as Spartan Ops, but it requires gold to play. For the main campaign, you're once again Master Chief.
I felt amazing when I first played and yes I did love the ability to do that! Still do! Reach is the best!
It's an interesting novelty at first, but because the game wants you to feel as though you're your own character, that means Noble Six just kind of exists. They hint at his/her personality, but it never really shows itself outside of Firefight. Noble Six could've been handled way better while still making him/her feel like your own character, but that'd involve things like dialogue options (I.E. Titanfall 2) that I doubt they would've ever done.
It's an interesting novelty at first, but because the game wants you to feel as though you're your own character, that means Noble Six just kind of exists. They hint at his/her personality, but it never really shows itself outside of Firefight. Noble Six could've been handled way better while still making him/her feel like your own character, but that'd involve things like dialogue options (I.E. Titanfall 2) that I doubt they would've ever done.
Would have been interesting to make our own choices in Reach's campaign.
[Spoilers. Most reading will have played Reach by now but just in case.]

I've always been wary when it comes to (near-)voiceless protagonists in story-driven games for a number of reasons.

The ability to design your own character is all well and good but if they never or rarely speak then it's hard to put yourself in their shoes.
If I was a member of Noble Team I would talk to the other Spartans about what's going on, try to comfort frightened civilians, engage in the (albeit limited) banter, etc.
Given how 6 has just enough dialogue across the entire campaign to fill a single page header, I invariably end up feeling like a mute or a robot that's trying to figure out human emotions; 6 doesn't show joy in victory, fear when Reach is glassed, or sadness when his/her teammates die.
Many people encourage you to fill in the blanks yourself but if the other characters don't respond to what you say (which they can't) it begins to sound like a poorly-written self-insert fanfic, for lack of a better term.

On top of that I rarely felt like an integral part of the team when playing; the lack of dialogue never elevates 6 above 'Some guy who's just here to pad the numbers' to me.
You start the game out as a stranger with a mysterious unexplained backstory, and end the game as the same stranger with a mysterious unexplained backstory.
Your teammates do warm up to you over the course of the game but it's hard to see why when you barely talk to them, and their deaths would've packed a much bigger punch if I'd considered them friends.

I do like the customizable armour though, I just think it would've been better if there was an actual voiced character under it all.
I absolutely love seeing my spartan in the game. That beautiful EOD helmet.
it was amazing, because whenever I bought a new helmet I would play the first mission cutscene just to check my armor out