Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Your Selected Weapon Tips?

OP FreeButter178

I'll just start right off with the example this time.

My weapon of choice of giving tips is the Covenant Carbine. Many players have ignored this rifle, for it being weak in their eyes. However, you can change that perspective with these simple, easy to follow steps:

1. Get the first shot. Getting the first shot will almost always get you to win a fight against precision weapon users, however aim is needed.

2. Aim on this monster is important. I'm not saying to turn your sensitivity to 1 for it to aim, making sure you land all the shots will net the kill.

3. Use grenades to your advantage. Sometimes the first two won't always work, so using your 'nades will benefit the kill.

---

That is basically the example. You can use many tips if you want, but it must be for only that weapon. Also, please refrain from flaming others posts, it's their opinion, not yours.

Now for the actual question...

What are your tips for that one weapon of your choosing?
Magnum should always be your secondary if you're running a match on non-vehicle maps.

The boltshot can osk, but in the middle of a fire fight the magnum will save you more than the boltshot will. It's power is devastating and has a quick rate of fire.

The weapon is best in mid to close range combat, and has no problem quickly stripping someone's shield or picking off a head shot.
With the BR, pick your battles. I've seen plenty off players charge out in the open and try to take on DMR users who are cross mapping. Don't try to fight long range, stick to mid range.

Strafe. Always strafe. Never stand still. When you go into a firefight if you don't strafe you'll be easy for other players to kill. When strafing make sure to move from side to side a good amount. The DMR is a popular weapon and the magnetism on it will kill you easily if you don't strafe enough.

Work with your team. You can go solo with the BR but teamwork greatly helps off set the firepower from the DMR. Plus the BR is great for mopping up players with no shields. Use grenades to drop shields and mop up with a burst to the head.

Plasma pistol and BR is a classic combo, dating back to Halo 2. Still effective in Halo 4, but be warned, when switching weapons you have a second where you can fire, so make sure to get some cover while you switch weapons.
I actually do a series of Halo 4 weapon guides on my YouTube but there is one tip that I can give that covers any weapon.

It doesn't matter which one you use - provided the following;

1. You understand its Strengths and how to maximize that potential
2. You understand its weaknesses, limits and shortcomings
3. You understand how the weapon works in-and-out (projectile speed, RoF, shots to kill, shots before melee, etc)
4. You understand that your weapon may be underpowered and you will lose some fights just because
5. Use your other equipment (grenades, armor abilities)

That being said, a good player can make even a bad weapon look top-tier. As long as you understand it fully, and know how to make the most of it, and know what fights you will win or lose, you can come out on top.

Halo 4 isn't just about weapons - its about armor abilities, grenades and map knowledge. Use the tools you have.

For example I use the Carbine in a support role. It can put out a lot of firepower that stacks really well with BR's/DMR's - so I throw on a plasma pistol, Regen field, AA efficiency and Ordnance Priority and I have a good solid loadout. Ordnance Priority rewards me for doing team support. I may not have the best K/D, but my team is usually grateful for my actions.

====================================================

Although for specific weapon tips I want to say something about the Boltshot.

The Primary fire - nobody ever seems to use it.

yes, the primary fire is very weak, especially compared to the magnum, BUT it has a very high Rate of Fire and is headshot capable. On maps like Adrift where the need to scope-in is very small the Boltshot makes a great finisher, moreso than the magnum purely because you can just spam at the head.

It funny how the boltshot can be considered so OP, yet has under-appreciated aspects that make it even better.

Anyways thats my 2 cents.
There are a few things you need to know before you fire up a suppressor. The suppressor is all about getting close, quite close, without taking any prior shots. If you do this then you have won. No primary can trump a suppressor up close, just make sure u stay right outside boltshot range. I highly recommend stealth. Sneak around a lot. Anticipate where your enemies are moving and set an ambush. Beware of getting team shot, especially a danger with the suppressor. Don't engage if your going to be team shot
To use the AR right:

Get close to your foe, point your gun at them, shoot them, suffer from an eargasm, reload and repeat.

In all seriousness though:

The AR works well as a backup weapon for the DMR or BR, but can work well on it's own. I find that it works best when combined with the thruster pack to get in close to your enemies. Using the mobility TP will allow you to sprint around with unlimited power, meaning if your Thruster runs out, you can still get in close. Dexterity or Ammo works well with the AR, A quick reload to ensure you always have a full mag at your disposal mean more bullets to kill with.

In short; The AR works well in CQB and is something I feel is a weapon that rewards players for being more like a ninja; Getting the jump on your foes and surprising them.
Magnum should always be your secondary if you're running a match on non-vehicle maps.

The boltshot can osk, but in the middle of a fire fight the magnum will save you more than the boltshot will. It's power is devastating and has a quick rate of fire.

The weapon is best in mid to close range combat, and has no problem quickly stripping someone's shield or picking off a head shot.
just saying if it came to any range the magnum would to the bolt shot but in close the bolt shot win also if you strife with the bolt shot you will win a lot of gun fights in close
not as much vs smg ar etc tho

oh sorry I thought this was and halo 5 post
your right lol
well for me I prefer the dmr for a few reason like you can always pick off a target at a distance and I also prefer to have a automatic machinegun on me incase things go for the worse and heck I also use plasma grenades as well as active camo just to get to where I want to shoot at
Carbine is actually listed as my most preferred and used weapon.

I like using the storm rifle though. I just pulse-fire to keep it accurate, while maintaining its rapid fire rate. Very under-rated weapon in Halo 4.