Forums / Games / Halo 4

[Locked] Anyone else annoyed at the 'ODST' armor?

OP furaii

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I have always loved the odst armor and when I found it was coming with the champions bundle it made it a day one buy for me. But after equipping it... WTF is this? it looks like ODST but is wrong in so many ways, the visor for example is too rounded, the ODST shape is unique and this looks nothing like it.

The shoulder pads are the wrong way round, the body looks like it was thrown together in minutes, and the arms / legs are far too generic and dont looks like ODST...

Incase by some miracle you dont know what ODST armor should look like heres some art:

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/14/20/69592014/photos/ODST/halo-3-odst-20090915032900938.jpg

Now look again at the halo 4 ODST armor and try to help me understand why it looks so bloody different.
I also dont like it, it looks like a child armor for me, it has no little scratches, conture or anything.
I just like the chest because of the big backpack or whatever it is.

I only like the Ricochet armor, the others doesnt really fit into Halo 4 in my opinion. Like two different people designed the old and new armors.
It's just the way that it is viewed in the armory, it looks better in game, trust me, play couple of matches online and go into theatre mode, you will see that there is a lot more detail on the in game model
yeah i here u man i was wearing that helmet but i noticed that it didnt have many features to it
It's the new artstyle of Halo 4 I guess. I mean, every armor in this game looks weird and not very Halo'ish, as we know it from 3 or Reach.
Quote:
I only like the Ricochet armor, the others doesnt really fit into Halo 4 in my opinion. Like two different people designed the old and new armors.
Of course old armors look different than Halo 4's style.
yeah it does look a lot better in game
Thank you! Someone else who agrees with me. I thought I was going to like the new additions but they all look bad. As if they were done quickly and little thought was put into it.
All the DLC armor in the champions bundle is low poly I think, they all have different textures from the default armor selections. the ODST helmet I agree is a joke, and if you're going to use the setup I suggest the perfectly fine Air Assault helmet, for obvious reasons being it LOOKS like the ODST helmet from 3/Reach.
Everyone has their own opinion. I personally think it looks great, but if you don't like something, you say that you don't like it and dont go on and bash on it.
Well given the amount of people that agree with me it clearly isnt 'my opinion' I get what your saying and im usually open minded about this sort of thing, I'll admit the majority of the halo 4 armor I DONT like but I havnt complained about it because im sure many people do like them.

This is different though, this is an armor since halo 3 has had a unique look, its already a loved / well designed armor. My problem is they have taken that and almost dumbed it down, like people have said its less detailed almost like a childish version. my main problem is the visor, I can live with the rest, but the visor has always had that unique angle when looked at from the side, something this helmet DOESNT have, its just round and to me that makes it look COMPLETELY different to the ODST helm.

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this and take comfort that I am not the only one that see's this ODST armor as wrong. I doubt very much it will be changed due to feedback, mainly because this thread seems to be the only one I have seen on this issue. But I hope they make a better job on halo 5 :) I will continue to wear the ODST armor (at lease the helm) to show my support for the set but the way it looks I cant say I will wear it with pride lol
Quote:
Well given the amount of people that agree with me it clearly isnt 'my opinion' I get what your saying and im usually open minded about this sort of thing, I'll admit the majority of the halo 4 armor I DONT like but I havnt complained about it because im sure many people do like them.

This is different though, this is an armor since halo 3 has had a unique look, its already a loved / well designed armor. My problem is they have taken that and almost dumbed it down, like people have said its less detailed almost like a childish version. my main problem is the visor, I can live with the rest, but the visor has always had that unique angle when looked at from the side, something this helmet DOESNT have, its just round and to me that makes it look COMPLETELY different to the ODST helm.

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this and take comfort that I am not the only one that see's this ODST armor as wrong. I doubt very much it will be changed due to feedback, mainly because this thread seems to be the only one I have seen on this issue. But I hope they make a better job on halo 5 :) I will continue to wear the ODST armor (at lease the helm) to show my support for the set but the way it looks I cant say I will wear it with pride lol
Not sure what the point of that is.
Yes. It looks too round and smooth, not at all badass.

I find most of the remade armours are a bit off. I like the Mark VI, but it looks just a bit wrong. I think it's because the top is a bit too wide compared to the rest. The only armour that seems to properly resemble the original is Mark V. It looks like they imported it from CEA, which is fine by me. I don't see why they couldn't use previous armour models, and touch them up for Halo 4, or at least use them as more of a reference.
It looks lazy; same for the MarkV and Prefect. It's like they were designed and rendered on 1st gen XBox and then pulled into Halo 4. The shapes are wrong, there's no detail or textures that make them look right when combined with the slender and highly-detailed H4 armor.

I think this is the designers way of spiting in our faces for all the criticism they got for their -Yoink- looking H4 armor. We finally get what we want and it looks even worse.
Quote:
Yes. It looks too round and smooth, not at all badass.
Thats pretty much what I wanted to say, it should be a "hey, I jump from space into hell" helmet, not a "hey, I kill you hihihi hohoho hahaha" helmet. xD
The ODST helmet looks like it's a combination between the Halo 3 and the Halo 2 versions of it. Granted, I thought the Halo 2 versions looked stupid anyways, but it's obvious that that's the route they took. Therefore, yes, I was a little annoyed that they decided to tweak the design. At least it looks like they finally did the Mark 5 right... or at least as close to "right" that it ever was.
Recruit helmet took too much cue from ODST. Now we're faced with two helmets trying to be different but not really succeeding. ODST should have been in from the start to avoid this, but oh well. I'm just glad it's back.

The new armor looks unfinished in the armory. The metal lacks that weathered look that other armor has. And the visors aren't as detailed. The overall effect is they look incomplete.
Lets do it buy piece shall we?
Helmet: Right off the bat it looks off. The visor is the main problem, as it looks too flat.
Chest: IMO, they did the chest perfectly. The back pack adds to armour, and I'm glad its here.
Shoulder: Look like they are from H2. I personally don't use them, but I can see why people would care.
Arms: I don't even know what to say.
Legs: Needs more scratches. Maybe even some pockets.
worst part is for me, the addition of Mark V, finally, love the fact they added it, but then its not useable in Spartan ops, and I get set to default armour, really does kill it
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3