Is Halo 4 good?

OP RynoForceMinion

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
Many people say Halo 4 is bad but some people say that it is good, what do you think?
Personally, I think Halo 4 was a great game considering it was 343i's first Halo game. I appreciated the campaign because it brought more development to Cortana's character, however certain new characters needed more insight. Many have said that the matchmaking wasn't as good but enjoyed the new load out system. Matchmaking took too far of a step away from the original trilogy style, and we all know the Halo 2 mm brought Xbox Live into popular demand. Overall I think Halo 4 is meant to be judged more personally since it really brings in new concepts never experienced in the Halo universe. If you have not played the game, I'd say play it then go with what you think.
Halo 4 is both a bad and good Halo game from my point of view.
The story is fantastic. There are people like LateNightGaming that think it is superior to Halo 2, and others think it has the best story of the franchise.
The soundtrack is also great, probably my favorite. I love 117, Mantis, Wreckage and Never Forget. The soundtracks also defines my emotional status, for example, if i'm sad I listen to Green and Blue or Wreckage.
The gameplay however... fails. It is unbalanced. The Elite's melee attacks on Legendary kill you instantly and are undoggable. When they are wielding swords when they attack you, their animation takes 10 frames, in other words, only after you're dead is when you will be able to react to it. The Knights' shield's feel like bullet-sponge, and have the same problem as Elites. I like the Prometheans, but they we're though and executed terribly. The Knight's teleporting mechanic is bulls***, because they do it has soon as they decide to and there is no way to stop (however, at one time when I was playing campaign, I was able to kill a Knight when he was teleporting).
The multiplayer is also unbalanced, but I won't discuss that.

Final thoughts? I'm unsure whether you should buy it or not, leaving the choice up to you.
Halo 4 is a mixed bag for me. I think that the story and characters are the best in the series, but the gameplay and level design of the campaign leaves a lot to be desired. The prometheans are poorly designed and never fun to fight, some of the missions are just boring and waste potentially awesome ideas (looking at you Mammoth and Pelican...), and the sense of scale and openess that some of the previous games had is gone. Though there are still moments of greatness, such as the Broadsword run and any time you get to drive a Mantis.

The multiplayer is probably my least favorite out of all the Halo games. It introduced many gameplay elements that don't belong in Halo IMO, and forge and custom games (especially infection) somehow regressed from Reach. It's not that the multiplayer is unplayable garbage like some people seem to think it is. I can still play the MP and enjoy it in short bursts, just not nearly as much as other Halo games.

I've grown to appreciate the soundtrack, though some of the electronic music still doesn't do it for me. There really are some beautiful tracks (such as Legacy and Reqiuem) that I think many people overlook when dismissing Halo 4's OST.
Halo 4 is a mixed bag for me. I think that the story and characters are the best in the series, but the gameplay and level design of the campaign leaves a lot to be desired. The prometheans are poorly designed and never fun to fight, some of the missions are just boring and waste potentially awesome ideas (looking at you Mammoth and Pelican...), and the sense of scale and openess that some of the previous games had is gone. Though there are still moments of greatness, such as the Broadsword run and any time you get to drive a Mantis.

The multiplayer is probably my least favorite out of all the Halo games. It introduced many gameplay elements that don't belong in Halo IMO, and forge and custom games (especially infection) somehow regressed from Reach. It's not that the multiplayer is unplayable garbage like some people seem to think it is. I can still play the MP and enjoy it in short bursts, just not nearly as much as other Halo games.

I've grown to appreciate the soundtrack, though some of the electronic music still doesn't do it for me. There really are some beautiful tracks (such as Legacy and Reqiuem) that I think many people overlook when dismissing Halo 4's OST.
I remember a lot of people complaining about the Halo 4 OST for not being like the traditional soundtrack. While this is true, I think that it was almost appropriate as it was a new story line, new world, new everything. They gave the game a different feel which is controversial, but I understand why. It gets a lot of flack which I think is unfair.
It's my favourite Halo.
I feel as if they changed too much of the original weapon designs to make them look and sound really ugly. Spartan armour looks pretty bad considering all of the unnecessary detail on it. The story is really good but is now useless thanks to Halo 5s story.
I think that Halo 4 is a fantastic game. The problem is that most people don't like how multiplayer was implemented in it. I'll give them that, but a lot of them also like to compare it to COD, saying that the two games are almost exactly the same, and I can tell you that it isn't. I've already typed up my reasons why Halo 4 isn't like COD, and if you're interested you can read them here.
Yes it is
It's my first choice.
I thought it was a respectable build for a first game.
I enjoy Halo 4, it's not my favourite but I like the relationship between Chief & Cortana, I like the art design they used which holds up amazingly well when playing the 1080p 60fps Xbox One version.

The soundtrack while not your typical Halo soundtrack is actually quite good and fits in nicely with the mood of the game. Spartan Ops was enjoyable for a bit but on the whole it was the multiplayer that let Halo 4 down for me. If you had Halo 5's multiplayer with Halo 4's campaign then 343i would really be onto something.
I say Halo 4 is the second least enjoyable Halo game of the 360 - number one being Halo Wars. Halo 4 is just bland compared to the previous installments, and it's multiplayer matchmaking being the worst of all. Even with that said I still play the game. I haven't spent my money on the One so I have not played Halo 5...if I did I would be playing that and not Halo 4,
Many people say Halo 4 is bad but some people say that it is good, what do you think?
Only multiplayer, the campaign is not very good.
i like it on mcc
In my opinion, those who says it is bad are Bungielibers. I liked a lot, not for the story, for the multiplayer part, it is more enjoyable and less competitive than the previous Halo Games, and it made it more funnier and crazy. I liked Halo Reach too, but I prefer Halo 4 multiplayer.
It's arguably my favorite shooter ever! I will admit, as a Halo game it doesn't really strike the same chord as the classic games, but as someone who never really liked Halo until 4's changes, I find it to be incredible. The singleplayer has some great moments and I find the multiplayer to be the best in the series bar none, especially the large Big Team Battle modes.
In my opinion, Halo 4 had a great story and is probably my third favourite campaign (comparing it to the originals), it gave chief a lot of character that he needed and made players feel more emotional and thrilled into to the story. It's also faster pace which I like. The multiplayer was a bit of a dud though, even though it had a couple of good ideas, I liked dominion (correct me if that's the wrong title, it's been a while), it just failed to deliver multiplayer wise.
Halo 4 in my opinion is one of the best games in the series due to it's strong writing, performances, and relationship building between Master Chief and Cortana. However, even with it being one of the most compelling stories in the franchise, the same cannot be said for the level design throughout the campaign.

The level structure to me feels bland and uninspired with a lot of linear areas accompanied by a few open spaces where it really feels more claustrophobic comparatively to the other entries. Also the Promethean's become a fairly boring enemy to combat after a few missions, leaving you begging for more covenant interactions even though we have been dealing with that threat since day 1.

Next for me, the multiplayer. It's...fine. It changes out arena combat for a more gear oriented affair. Loadouts are introduced, along with spartan abilites that will frustrate after a few matches. And then we get ordinance drops, which basically leaves the playing field feeling quite uneven. The maps are fine, with a few memorable ones and the weapons all play and feel like you would expect, but the change of pace doesn't really benefit the series. The one thing I did like that happened to change was the overall scoring system (which was abandoned in Guardians unfortunately).

For me, Halo 4 has the best story (next to Halo 2 for me) with a welcome change to the asthetic, beautiful presentation, and a more daring take on the universe.

However, the level design is meh, the multiplayer changed for the worse, and the spartan ops a useless addition in place of firefight IMO.

I would still rank it in the top Halo entries soley because the story for me is that damn good...
Story was fantastic
Gameplay sucked butthole
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5