Forums / Games / Halo 4

what was wrong about spartan ops?

OP ShockChaos50

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
i dont know why some people hate spartan ops while others does, i personally think it was a good idea, what went wrong?
The first 5 episodes were pretty repetitive. It came down to going to a location, killing a bunch of enemies, pushing a button, getting ambushed by a bunch more enemies, killing those enemies, repeat x number of times, and then leaving the area. Episodes 6-10 were good though, but I think most players had left by that point which is why we never got a second season.
I had no problem with it until Halo 5 threw Spartan OPS out the window like it never happened. Weeee!
tuhin94 wrote:
The first 5 episodes were pretty repetitive. It came down to going to a location, killing a bunch of enemies, pushing a button, getting ambushed by a bunch more enemies, killing those enemies, repeat x number of times, and then leaving the area. Episodes 6-10 were good though, but I think most players had left by that point which is why we never got a second season.
that sucks
I had no problem with it until Halo 5 threw Spartan OPS out the window like it never happened. Weeee!
halo 5 have spartan ops? i've never played the game before so idk
halo 5 have spartan ops? i've never played the game before so idk
Nope. Bit of a spoiler here, but they resolve one part of the plot of Spartan Ops in the first level and never mention anything else again.
Though the level format was largely the same copy and paste design (as mentioned by tuhin94), I still found enjoyment in the immersion factor. The levels themselves may have been wishy-wash at best, but the idea of having your Halo 4 Spartan being a part of the canon storyline of the Second Battle of Requiem was awesome. Maybe not an exact repeat of Spartan Ops, but I'd like to see if 343 includes any means for allowing your player character to be a part of extra content in a canon storyline.
I didn't enjoy spartan ops because I never really felt in danger. I could stand way back and just kill enemies one at a time at a distance, without being shot at. Finding ammo was the only real tricky part. There were a few interesting missions but most were just killing groups of enemies on an open field. It was repetitive.
It was new and weird for the comunity, that and a major complaint i hear is that it was repetive..... which it was. A bunch of people want it back if they fit it up a bit. I enjoyed it, but at times it was boaring. I hope it comes back and plays a bigger role in the next halo games.
Regice554 wrote:
It was new and weird for the comunity, that and a major complaint i hear is that it was repetive..... which it was. A bunch of people want it back if they fit it up a bit. I enjoyed it, but at times it was boaring. I hope it comes back and plays a bigger role in the next halo games.
alright then
Regice554 wrote:
it was pretty repetitive when i played it last time
Regice554 wrote:
it was pretty repetitive when i played it last time
Yeah the time in between the action and repetive maps made it bad. It aslo needed more dialog
i dont know why some people hate spartan ops while others does, i personally think it was a good idea, what went wrong?
Considering the fact that it can be played as a singleplayer experience, forcing players to pay a yearly subscription fee to play it was an act of greed and greed alone.

The mode itself was alright, but ultimately it lacked the customization Halo: Reach's Firefight had which likely angered people.
I liked how it was an arcade style campaign, but I wasn't as interested with the story.

I recently played Halo Spartan Assault, which was a fun game, but I can definitely say that game didn't have an amazing story. It gave me the same feeling as Spartan Ops. It tells you there are enemies in this area, take them out. Then when you do that, mission accomplished everything is fine, until the next mission where you have to kill some more enemies in another area. The story in Spartan Assault didn't have any character development, as you are always being told what's happening at the very moment by Commander Palmer or some other character, yet they never have any dialogue you can relate to. I don't mean relating as if you were being a commander. I mean relating to a character's emotions and feelings. How a character reacts to a certain situation, and how you can relate to that.

If that isn't how character development works, I tried my best and you can tell me what it actually is if I'm wrong, and give me a better example.
I thought Spartan Ops was decent as a whole. I think it just fell short of the 'end game pve' compared to ODST, and Reach FF mode.
I would agree the maps were repetitive, other wise it was solid
I am done with episode 3, from what I have found it is repetitive (Tuhin 94 said it gets better after 5). I really don't like Palmer finding various ways to tell me to blow *yoink* up. The way she is rude and disrespectful to everyone but your character I find weird and annoying.
It was an attempt to give Firefight a plot that didn't pan out. Not only were the levels repetitive but even worse they were predictable. Every time I entered an area, I pretty much knew exactly where the enemies would come from. I played it through until I had earned all its related achievements and then gave up on it.
Spartan Ops was a concept to online coop similar to Firefight, but it didn't really work. DLC armors NEVER rendered, causing anyone wearing them to render as the default Recruit armor, missions got overly repetitive and lag eventually became a major issue. Also, paywalls to get additional missions really set some people off.

Fast forward, Halo 5: In Guardians Spartan Ops was essentially replaced by Warzone, a PvPvE gametype pretty unique, and able to pull off competitive play with coop play.

Fast forward further, and we now have Warzone Firefight. The true successor to Spartan Ops and the answer to the fanboys (and girls) questioning where their firefight went. And, it's way more popular. Finding a match takes only a second or two. (Disagree? Fite me.)

Truth is Spartan Ops was garbage. It was a test of a concept. It's been replaced by something else that simply feels more put together.
I never even got around to playing it but it still looks slightly interesting but I imagine the story is horrible.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2