Forums / Games / Halo 4

Why do people hate Halo 4's multiplayer?

OP brosforlife334

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
i mean i really don't get why i played at on of it and my only problems with it was that they removed dominion and that the aesthetic looked awful to me but i thoroughly enjoyed everything it had to offer.so if you could tell me why you thought it was bad, or why the community thought is was bad that'd be nice to clear up my understanding as to why halo 4's multiplayer is/was hated.
you're going to get one answer and one answer only...loadouts
That's mainly because Halo fans are crap at one thing, adapting to others playstyles. That's why Halo 5 is so "popular" or at least was, it catered to slayer pure and simple and most of the time you could only use 1 play style. Whereas Halo 4 custom loadouts ensure unpredictability every match. Now I agree oneshot weapons, the boltshot, shouldn't be a loadout weapon, but I've spent the last week and a half playing nothing but Halo 4, and I gotta say loadouts aren't as bad as people claim they are, the whiners just suck at adapting to a new play style each game. Sure it doesn't happen in a snap, but if you pay attention to your opponents you can learn their play style quickly, and just as quickly formulate a strategy around it.
Honestly I prefer H4 over Halo 5, Multiplayer isn't taken seriously on H4 unlike H5, it's honestly great

SWAT I can enjoy again cause it offers so much more
That's mainly because Halo fans are crap at one thing, adapting to others playstyles. That's why Halo 5 is so "popular" or at least was, it catered to slayer pure and simple and most of the time you could only use 1 play style. Whereas Halo 4 custom loadouts ensure unpredictability every match. Now I agree oneshot weapons, the boltshot, shouldn't be a loadout weapon, but I've spent the last week and a half playing nothing but Halo 4, and I gotta say loadouts aren't as bad as people claim they are, the whiners just suck at adapting to a new play style each game. Sure it doesn't happen in a snap, but if you pay attention to your opponents you can learn their play style quickly, and just as quickly formulate a strategy around it.
I wasn't saying I'm all out against loadouts. BTB and CTF used them well. And I agree with your analysis. All I was meaning was that loadouts are effectively one of the only reasons people will throw out there. tbh, I loved halo 4. Slayer loadouts and the ordinance drops bothered me a bit but that was all. People act like the game was broken. Compared to other games on the maket, Halo 4 was fantastic for its time. The story was miles ahead of 5's, and I felt a strong casual community playing. Halo 5 has catered to the mlg platform by focusing on high level competition in slayer and because of that the campaign suffered.
Because it's too awesome and people can't release the overwhelming joy they feel while playing 😵
rockwhynot wrote:
Because it's too awesome and people can't release the overwhelming joy they feel while playing 😵
^This, I mean yeah there are moments when the game spazzes out but aside from a few very minor technchal issues I don't really have any bad memories of playing Halo 4. Sure it's not the best Halo, but it is one of the most enjoyable Halos, due to its variety of play styles, rebalanced AAs, and even it's Forge. So many good things came from Halo 4 and people just -Yoink- on it for having loadouts and ordinance drops. And I mean I understand why ordinance drops are a problem, but I'd rather play Halo 4 with custom loadouts than Halo 5 with equal starts any day. Equal starts are overrated and belong SOLELY in classic Halo games, they don't work with modernized Halo, period. Halo 4 is a unique kind of game where it doen't particularly build off of its predecessors but instead makes its own kind of identity.
I'll try list and remember why Halo 4 multiplayer was hated:
  • Loadout - Straying away one of Halo's staple signature and also giving the players some weapons
  • Ordinance - Killed the idea of map control
  • Boltshot (pre-patch) - People started complaining the Boltshot was pocket shotgun and the fact it had a slight edge in range for one shot kills compared to the shotty until the patch
Don't get me wrong, there's some aspects I like but more flaws I despise from Halo 4 so, I still hold the opinion that I think it's worst multiplayer in the franchise.
I only know Reach and Halo 4 multiplayers and have enjoyed them both, I just accept what they are and have fun... I blame anything negative on me just being a crap player LOL...
I'll try list and remember why Halo 4 multiplayer was hated:
  • Loadout - Straying away one of Halo's staple signature and also giving the players some weapons
  • Ordinance - Killed the idea of map control
  • Boltshot (pre-patch) - People started complaining the Boltshot was pocket shotgun and the fact it had a slight edge in range for one shot kills compared to the shotty until the patch
Don't get me wrong, there's some aspects I like but more flaws I despise from Halo 4 so, I still hold the opinion that I think it's worst multiplayer in the franchise.
I think it's more the over usage of Loadouts and Ordnance in Halo 4 that caused these features to be absolutely hated. I think every playlist and every gametype did allow the player to use custom loadouts in Halo 4 which removed a lot of variation for the game. The Ordnance feature is pretty interesting in my opinion but it was also totally overused until it reached the point of insanity.

There are still issues that surrounds Halo 4 because the implementation of Loadouts like that most of the weapons has a near perfect direct duplicate because the Loadouts had to be balanced in some shape or form.

To sum it all up, the biggest flaw with the Halo 4 multiplayer was over usage of certain features which made them end up being hated instead of something interesting.
I wasn't saying I'm all out against loadouts. BTB and CTF used them well. And I agree with your analysis. All I was meaning was that loadouts are effectively one of the only reasons people will throw out there. tbh, I loved halo 4. Slayer loadouts and the ordinance drops bothered me a bit but that was all. People act like the game was broken. Compared to other games on the maket, Halo 4 was fantastic for its time. The story was miles ahead of 5's, and I felt a strong casual community playing. Halo 5 has catered to the mlg platform by focusing on high level competition in slayer and because of that the campaign suffered.
Not just the campaign, but the multiplayer too. Halo has always had a decent balance of casual and comptetitive up until Halo 4 where it focused heavily on casual, while not a good thing to focus on one side of a community, casuals on Halo far outnumber actual competitive players, another reason why Halo 5s population seems so low, all the casuals up and left for the older games, even the MCC.
I like Halo 4 online but minor things like the aim assist feeling more pronounced and everyone having a sprint button throws off a lot of vets.
Also most of the better maps are reworked versions of previous games and that's not a great sign.

Someone in this thread mentioned loadouts and I think they're cool personally because it's something new and exciting to play with to customize your experience but it also takes away from how Halo always felt with everyone starting with the same gear giving more emphasis to power weapons like the sniper or shotgun. Many abilities as well as the sprint itself help pick the game's pace up and I like that but many people see it as an easy way out of punishing a bad play or poor positioning, but that's usually old school vets of Halo 1 and 2 I think?

TL;DR I don't think it's bad but I can see why others would say so.
I posted this a few months ago, hopefully it'll help you understand.

Quote:
The main reason why Halo 4 sees so much hatred is because of its multiplayer. A lot of people preferred Halo 3's simple, yet tried and true set up. Equal loadouts, no sprint, no armor abilities. Halo 4's loadouts shook this us so much that people felt it was too different from the game that they considered 'Halo.' But I'll say this: To call Halo 4 a COD clone is an exaggeration, a hyperbole. They both have custom loadouts, yes, but does that automatically make them the same? No, hell no. COD is a twitch shooter, where winning fights is determined by reaction time, and their loadout system allows players to spawn with snipers, shottys, LMGs, things that would be considered power weapons in Halo, but it doesn't matter there because its a twitch shooter. They also have things like equipment, throwing knives, landmines, and so on, as well as killstreak rewards, like an attack helicopter. I've never had to worry about proximity mines in Halo 4, or the other team calling in an attack Pelican. And above all, Halo 4 is still a tactical shooter, like all other Halo games. It's about outsmarting and outgunning your opposition, not about seeing them first and spraying them down with bullets. I'm also convinced that a lot of the hatred for Halo 4 stems from bandwagons.
1. The loadouts were pointless. Little kids probably were happy to be able to create a class like Call of Duty. But veteran Halo players knew you only needed one class with a BR and none of the other details such as armor ability or perks mattered.

2. There was nothing to entice players to keep playing to level up. I dont even remember there being ranks. H2 and H3 easily had the most rewarding leveling system. Reach at least had cool armor that unlocked as you leveled up and you needed to grind credits for. H4 you got points to create a class but ended up having a lot of extra points since there was nothing worth spending the points on. It was also lame just getting a number instead of being like sergeant, major, etc. I quit after I unlocked the first armor around 50 or 60 and realized it was pointless and I had nothing to play for. H5's leveling system isnt much better but collecting all the armor via packs and trying to level up in ranked playlist is why Ive put way more hour shift into it
Gefferr wrote:
1. The loadouts were pointless. Little kids probably were happy to be able to create a class like Call of Duty. But veteran Halo players knew you only needed one class with a BR and none of the other details such as armor ability or perks mattered.

2. There was nothing to entice players to keep playing to level up. I dont even remember there being ranks. H2 and H3 easily had the most rewarding leveling system. Reach at least had cool armor that unlocked as you leveled up and you needed to grind credits for. H4 you got points to create a class but ended up having a lot of extra points since there was nothing worth spending the points on. It was also lame just getting a number instead of being like sergeant, major, etc. I quit after I unlocked the first armor around 50 or 60 and realized it was pointless and I had nothing to play for. H5's leveling system isnt much better but collecting all the armor via packs and trying to level up in ranked playlist is why Ive put way more hour shift into it
I started Halo with Halo 3, technichally Halo 2 but only at my cousins house, anyway I loved the loadouts when Reach and 4 came around cause they gave us varied gameplay every match, each person had their own unique play style to choose from. CoD doesn't own the idea of loadouts it's just easy to call it out on that because it's a well known fact that Halo players hate CoD and vice versa.

As for the enticing players to level up, there were plenty of armor unlocks to get through leveling up. Not everything needs to be about classic Halo. Yes I like classic Halo but the fanbase needs to realize it's dead and move on, either accept it, or find another franchise, plain and simple.
Gefferr wrote:

I started Halo with Halo 3, technichally Halo 2 but only at my cousins house, anyway I loved the loadouts when Reach and 4 came around cause they gave us varied gameplay every match, each person had their own unique play style to choose from. CoD doesn't own the idea of loadouts it's just easy to call it out on that because it's a well known fact that Halo players hate CoD and vice versa.

As for the enticing players to level up, there were plenty of armor unlocks to get through leveling up. Not everything needs to be about classic Halo. Yes I like classic Halo but the fanbase needs to realize it's dead and move on, either accept it, or find another franchise, plain and simple.
Dude I agree with you 100% I've been saying the same -Yoink- for years.
Gefferr wrote:

It doesnt even have to be about COD but thats the most likely series they were copying since it took Halo's place as the most popular console shooter in the years after H3 release. Either way they conformed to the create a class system several other games had instead of staying true to Halo.

How much armor there was didnt matter since H3 players were happy with only like 15 options. From Reach onwards the goal of Halo multiplayer was to unlock all the armor which most people over the age of 16 found pointless. This system was the least compelling in H4 compared to Reach and H5.

Its really just a matter that the people who put alot of time into H2 and H3 were too old to enjoy the new games that were meant for the younger generation. I was watching my nephew play H5 and it amazed me how before even playing his first game he spent like 10 minutes making sure he had the perfect armor and emblem even though he was like level 5. Then he had to make adjustments after every game before searching again. Thats just what teenagers care about these days. The next Halo could have only 1 map and gametype and the AR as the only weapon and little kids wouldnt care as long as theres armor to unlock.

Im pretty sure most of the H2/H3 fanbase already accepted the death of Halo and moved on after playing reach for a few weeks and without ever giving H4 a chance.
Gefferr wrote:
Gefferr wrote:

It doesnt even have to be about COD but thats the most likely series they were copying since it took Halo's place as the most popular console shooter in the years after H3 release. Either way they conformed to the create a class system several other games had instead of staying true to Halo.

How much armor there was didnt matter since H3 players were happy with only like 15 options. From Reach onwards the goal of Halo multiplayer was to unlock all the armor which most people over the age of 16 found pointless. This system was the least compelling in H4 compared to Reach and H5.Its really just a matter that the people who put alot of time into H2 and H3 were too old to enjoy the new games that were meant for the younger generation. I was watching my nephew play H5 and it amazed me how before even playing his first game he spent like 10 minutes making sure he had the perfect armor and emblem even though he was like level 5. Then he had to make adjustments after every game before searching again. Thats just what teenagers care about these days. The next Halo could have only 1 map and gametype and the AR as the only weapon and little kids wouldnt care as long as theres armor to unlock.

Im pretty sure most of the H2/H3 fanbase already accepted the death of Halo and moved on after playing reach for a few weeks and without ever giving H4 a chance.
Okay first bold point: Halo 5's Armor unlock system, compelling? Are you trolling me or are you serious because if it's the second one then congratulations sir and/or madam you've officially dumfounded me! As for Reach it was no more compelling than Halo 4s in fact 4s was more compelling due to the fact most armor was linked to commendations. Sure it lead to farming here and there, but nothing near as bad as Achilles farmers, they know who they are. Reach was ok, but 4s unlock system hit the mark, you can't honestly say Halo 4's unlock system, on that was actually based on skill in a modern Halo title, was less compelling than that of Halo 5, whom of which's armor unlock system is based on an RNG gambling unlock roulette most often giving crappy gear or hideous armor.

Second bold point: If H2/H3 fans have accepted the death of Halo why is it they are literally everywhere whining that "Halo isn't what it used to be when Halo 3 was around!"? Seriously the classic Halo fan base has become just as bad as the new Halo fan base. I prefer Halo 4 because it was a middle ground of sorts. It allowed for users to fine tune their playstyle, while not forcing them to "git gud" or "try hard" in every aspect of the game as H5 does. Neither does H4 allow for long matches due to slow movement speed. Yes sprint in Halo 4 is good, because it isn't ALWAYS infinite, only if you decide you want inifinite sprint. The reasons H3 fans haven't moved on is because they just want one game on the Xbox One, one genuinely classic new Halo game on the Xbox One to enjoy, not a bwc game, a new game, because a lot of people grew up playing this franchise, myself included, and most of us are disgusted with the kind of cheap cash grab the name Halo has become.
Simple people don't like change and are not open to new experiences they rather stay in the past and not look forward.
I think the reason why people hated it. Or at least one of the reasons people hated it, was because it was unbalanced. Compare Halo 4 to Halo Reach (After the armor lock update) and Reach pretty much wins everytime.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3