Forums / Games / Halo 4

[Locked] Why don't people like 343 Industries' new style?

OP Geth Pathfinder

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
My question is why do so many fans dislike 343's design in Halo 4? I get the people who think that the Covenant look uglier than previous games.The UNSC, on the other hand, are awesome: the Warthog looks tough and sounds powerful, the weapons all sound great, Spartans armour is made in way that is functionally and flexable, the ONI security marines look cool in mission 7. When I heard people complaining online about Halo 4's Warthog I was shocked. The Warthog has a bar around the edge, making it look more rectangular and more Humvee-like, the engine sound has been improved, and the machine gun sounds much better. The Scorpion has been improved to sound lauder.

Weapons: The Assault Rifle sounds powerful and looks like a classic AR with slightly more detail. The Battle Rifle has been changes to look more like the FAMAS and sounds better than the Halo 3 version. Never unstood the hate for the sound design. Everywhere, people say that it sounds like crickets cherping, when I think that it sounds like a very fast burst fire that blends into a single powerful thump. I think that nobody who plays Halo 3 has the right to complain about sound design, considering that Halo 3's AR sounds like a nerfed airsoft rifle.

There is more but it would take a page to fit every single piece of equipment. For the record I dislike the art more in Halo 5, Halo 4 changed the art design but stayed true enough to Halo. Halo 5 does have some changes that I like but many things that look ugly. I don't mind talking about Halo 5 but this post is primarily for Halo 4.
Those "fans" dislike anything that is different from Halo 3. Halo 4 is a perfect game with a really good Design, Story and Soundtrack but most of the Fanboys ignore that because they want the classic Halo back. The Spartan Armor looks better. I really like Master Chiefs redesign. Marines and Vehicles look way more realistic than in the other Games.
I love Halo 4, but I hate it's art style, especially the Covenant. I hate the look of everything Covenant in that game except some weapons and the Zealot class Elite, which looks badass, IMO. Now...
  • I might think that Reach's spartans are the most realistic in the saga, but Halo 4's spartans armor is, with no doubt, more flexible and functional. Now, most of the armor look meh, but armors like Mark VI, Venator, Mark V, look awesome.
  • The vehicles are the most realistic in the saga, next to Halo 5, IMO.
  • Weapon sound design is great.
  • The forerunner architeture, while it looks kinda clean and recent... I guess, looks amazing. Who remembers the first time you saw those gigantic floating structures after you leave the Dawn's crash site, with the music syncing? It looks gorgeous.
  • Master Chief's armor looks really great, and honestly, the best in the series. (With Halo 2 Anniversary's really, really close <3)
Now classic Halo fans will just look at Halo 4 and say "Halo 4, the Downfall of Halo", "Halo 4, the worst game of all times"... I disagree.
I love Halo 4, but I hate it's art style, especially the Covenant. I hate the look of everything Covenant in that game except some weapons and the Zealot class Elite, which looks badass, IMO. Now...
  • I might think that Reach's spartans are the most realistic in the saga, but Halo 4's spartans armor is, with no doubt, more flexible and functional. Now, most of the armor look meh, but armors like Mark VI, Venator, Mark V, look awesome.
  • The forerunner architeture, while it looks kinda clean and recent... I guess, looks amazing. Who remembers the first time you saw those gigantic floating structures after you leave the Dawn's crash site, with the music syncing? It looks gorgeous.
  • Master Chief's armor looks really great, and honestly, the best in the series. (With Halo 2 Anniversary's really, really close <3)
Now classic Halo fans will just look at Halo 4 and say "Halo 4, the Downfall of Halo", "Halo 4, the worst game of all times"... I disagree.
I like most of the Covenant stuff, but I can see where you're coming from.
Spoiler:
Show
I think Halo Reach looks better, but that's not to say there were some cool designs in Halo 4. I really like the look of the weapons and vehicles. I like the look of the Spartan armor too. The only designs I dislike are the Grunts, and the UNSC Marines. That's about it though.
My question is why do so many fans dislike 343's design in Halo 4? I get the people who think that the Covenant look uglier than previous games.The UNSC, on the other hand, are awesome: the Warthog looks tough and sounds powerful, the weapons all sound great, Spartans armour is made in way that is functionally and flexable, the ONI security marines look cool in mission 7. When I heard people complaining online about Halo 4's Warthog I was shocked. The Warthog has a bar around the edge, making it look more rectangular and more Humvee-like, the engine sound has been improved, and the machine gun sounds much better. The Scorpion has been improved to sound lauder.

Weapons: The Assault Rifle sounds powerful and looks like a classic AR with slightly more detail. The Battle Rifle has been changes to look more like the FAMAS and sounds better than the Halo 3 version. Never unstood the hate for the sound design. Everywhere, people say that it sounds like crickets cherping, when I think that it sounds like a very fast burst fire that blends into a single powerful thump. I think that nobody who plays Halo 3 has the right to complain about sound design, considering that Halo 3's AR sounds like a nerfed airsoft rifle.

There is more but it would take a page to fit every single piece of equipment. For the record I dislike the art more in Halo 5, Halo 4 changed the art design but stayed true enough to Halo. Halo 5 does have some changes that I like but many things that look ugly. I don't mind talking about Halo 5 but this post is primarily for Halo 4.
They hate it because it was not made by bungie. I bet if bungie did everything 343 did in halo 4 and 5 there wouldn't be as much halo 4 and halo 5 haters as there are now.
Everything was too shiny, too sleek for my liking. 4's armor, in particular, took a step back from its predecessor's grittier, more detailed armor pieces.
You mean this?
You mean this?
You're late, but that's exactly that.
Also I've seen you in a thread called "Where does Master Chief pulls his knife from?". Where do you get these gifs?
You mean this?
You're late, but that's exactly that.
Also I've seen you in a thread called "Where does Master Chief pulls his knife from?". Where do you get these gifs?
I make them. DVR a game clip (or snag it from youtube) then use some gif software (instagiffer)
My favorite game was Halo 3, but Halo 4's my second. I honestly loved the new style. The UNSC stuff felt a lot more realistic than it used to. The Covenant seemed a little too cartoony for my taste, but the Covenant colors were far better in this game in my opinion than the previous games. The Wraith's cannon looked and sounded way better than before too. I wish they hadn't made the Banshee weapons switchable, I preferred being able to fire them with two separate buttons than switching back and forth. The Forerunner structures had far more power to them than when they appeared in previous games, as I feel they were always intended to. Plus, the introduction to Forerunner tech was something new and refreshing.
I agree with everything stated, UNSC: waaaaaaaay better, Covenant: weapons were nice but the species design sucked.
I'm a classic halo fan but tbh felt 3 was a downfall, then after was increasingly good until 5.
I'm a classic halo fan but tbh felt 3 was a downfall, then after was increasingly good until 5.
What makes you avoid Halo 3? I don't see how, it's my favorite Halo game, like the majority of the community. Great story, great gameplay, great designs, great soundtrack (I have One Final Effort as my ringtone <3).
What makes you avoid Halo 3? I don't see how, it's my favorite Halo game, like the majority of the community. Great story, great gameplay, great designs, great soundtrack (I have One Final Effort as my ringtone <3).
Story was fun but man was I sick of the flood, too repetitive for me. Soundtrack was f-ing epic though. designs were OK, still felt like Halo 2 for the most part. Now for complaints:
Didn't like how almost every MP match was just a large scale BR battle
I felt that any dual wield able weapons were heavily underpowered (along with the Brute shot)
Many if not all of the " tools" didn't benefit me.
and idk, the multiplayer just wasn't very fun which MP is what makes halo for me normally.
Oh yeah and I was a bit salty about the elites turning sides, I understand why but man, brutes are way less fun to fight than elites.
IMO, it was probably a 6.5/10. Although that's 10x more than I can say for Halo 5 lol
(also unlike a majority of the community, Halo 4 is my 2nd favorite, right before CE)
Story was fun but man was I sick of the flood, too repetitive for me. Soundtrack was f-ing epic though. designs were OK, still felt like Halo 2 for the most part. Now for complaints:
Didn't like how almost every MP match was just a large scale BR battle
I felt that any dual wield able weapons were heavily underpowered (along with the Brute shot)
Many if not all of the " tools" didn't benefit me.
and idk, the multiplayer just wasn't very fun which MP is what makes halo for me normally.
Oh yeah and I was a bit salty about the elites turning sides, I understand why but man, brutes are way less fun to fight than elites.
IMO, it was probably a 6.5/10. Although that's 10x more than I can say for Halo 5 lol
(also unlike a majority of the community, Halo 4 is my 2nd favorite, right before CE)
  • I think most of the community doesn't like to fight the Flood, but I love to fight them a lot.
  • I agree with the large-scale BR battles. Bungie made it too powerful. Basically, you'll be swapping every weapon for the BR.
  • The pros said that dual-wield we're overpowered. Plasma Rifle + SMG\Spiker\Magnum, Plasma Pistol + Magnum\SMG\Spiker, are really deadly combos, if you know how to use them correctly. Plasma for the shields, bullets to the body. For the most part, you wouldn't be using these combos, because plasmas and the other said weapons are usually a bit too far away from each other, which makes it harder than how it needs to be (Unless a plasma spawns alongside SMG\Spiker\Magnum), and also because a player wielding a BR can just shoot you from the distance, or simply out-skill you. BR is OP.
  • What tools?
  • More of a campaign guy :P
  • I understand your opinion about the replacement of the Elites by the Brutes. I think it's much more satisfying to kill a Elite General or Elite Field Marshall than a Brute Chieftain or Brute Chief-weapon. The Chief-weapon is a total joke, even on Legendary if you manage to get up close and personnel to him. You can just melee him to death, lol. As for the Chieftain, you can simply out-smart him, very easily. Elites are way more challenging, and more satisfying to kill.
  • There's one thing that I like in Halo 3. Jackals are "rare", especially Jackal Snipers >:D.
Personally, as 343's first Halo game, I thought it was beautifully well made game. When I first started I was like "Wow, this has way more improvement in graphics." Of course not everything is perfect as some visual effects needed more emphasis...
Spoiler:
Show
Aside from visuals, I thought the story was amazing, there was a lot more emotion, stronger connection between Cortana and MC, basically it brought more emphasis on the theme and brought my attention to MC's character to a whole new level. The game took me away from the organic killer that was a the MC to a more in-depth look, and that's what people find important in a story. I can understand that many feel unsatisfied with the game because yes the art may have appeared "weird" or "too shiny", but you have to appreciate how the campaign has reached a whole new level. Personally, I see the story more important than the art of any game because gaming for is an opportunity to feel what another person's imagination has brought you.
I agree with everything stated, UNSC: waaaaaaaay better, Covenant: weapons were nice but the species design sucked.
Since Halo 4 is 4 years ahead from Halo 3, I see the Covenant utilizing new armor and technology to keep u-p with the galaxy, but then again the classic armor with a minor upgrade would have been sufficient.
daem231 wrote:
My favorite game was Halo 3, but Halo 4's my second. I honestly loved the new style. The UNSC stuff felt a lot more realistic than it used to. The Covenant seemed a little too cartoony for my taste, but the Covenant colors were far better in this game in my opinion than the previous games. The Wraith's cannon looked and sounded way better than before too. I wish they hadn't made the Banshee weapons switchable, I preferred being able to fire them with two separate buttons than switching back and forth. The Forerunner structures had far more power to them than when they appeared in previous games, as I feel they were always intended to. Plus, the introduction to Forerunner tech was something new and refreshing.
I agree, the upgrade of Covenant weapons in Halo 4 brought a more satisfied result in terms of making fictional items realistic. The introduction of forerunner weapons was amazing, Although it basically just brought "skins" for the already present UNSC weapons, the forerunner weapons were awesome to use and was happy with the designs brought forth by 343.
I thing that elites looks not that bad... Marines don't looks like unsc marines... And those grunts witg out masks... OMFG. Hazop looks bad...but i like knights and Zelot elite. But i can't say that halo 4 look bad. But art style is not the best in series... And hi i'm from poland.... Hi...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2