Forums / Games / Halo 4

Will the Halo 4 servers be fixed?

OP A Swanky Lemon

Hi there,

Just posting here in hopes of reaching a mod or someone at 343 who might be able to provide some kind of a response.

Halo 4 has been having server issues for more than a year, in which a player searching matchmaking will be kicked back to the playlist select screen, with an error message that reads something like "You must be connected to Xbox Live to play" despite remaining connected to XBL and having a valid Gold membership. Sometimes, the game doesn't let you search into any playlist, displaying the same message. This is fixable at the moment only by waiting a few minutes or exiting to the Xbox dashboard and relaunching the game, but even those don't always work.

The impression I have is that these problems are occurring across all X360 Halo titles. Is anyone at 343 aware of this issue, and is there any sort of official recommendation on how to deal with it? Is it unrealistic to expect that it will eventually be fixed, given these titles' declining popularity?

Thanks to all for your time in reading
Wow, I actually thought this was a problem that I was only facing. It’s good to know it’s not just me but it’s also disheartening at the same time because if it’s already been more than a year that this has been happening, I doubt it’ll be fixed soon.

I decided to hop on Halo 4 yesterday on my old Xbox 360 for old time’s sake (been feeling a ton of nostalgia lately and I wanted to check it out again after not playing it for about 3 years) and I kept running into this same issue. I had to keep relaunching the game after finishing a match, and I only found two matches throughout the whole day yesterday since only about 200 players were online, but that’s of course unrelated.

Just wondering, were you playing Halo 4 on Xbox 360 or Xbox One? I also tried out Halo: Reach yesterday and I had no problems with that game, but when I tried Halo 3 I was running into the same server problems as Halo 4.

Trying to play any of these games on my Xbox One results in me using my old Xbox 360 profile with a completely out-of-date Gamertag, and I can’t find a way to redownload my 360 profile like I could a year ago.
I mostly play X360 H4 on my xbox one through backwards compatibility. I've tried playing on the proper X360 but the server issues still occur on that, so I'm not sure if there's any way to fix. It usually gets worse after a couple games completed, but even for the first few games after launching H4, sometimes I have issues.
I mostly play X360 H4 on my xbox one through backwards compatibility. I've tried playing on the proper X360 but the server issues still occur on that, so I'm not sure if there's any way to fix. It usually gets worse after a couple games completed, but even for the first few games after launching H4, sometimes I have issues.
Yeah, I’ve tried many ways to try and fix this issue but I’m postitive there’s nothing we players can do. I guess we’ll have to wait for 343 to do something but I don’t think it’ll happen anytime soon given that it’s been this long.
Yup tried playing some Halo 4, couldn't find a match for a minute and got sent to the select screen with Must be connected to Xbox Live to Play, guess all the Old Halo games are having issues
Yup tried playing some Halo 4, couldn't find a match for a minute and got sent to the select screen with Must be connected to Xbox Live to Play, guess all the Old Halo games are having issues
I believe they are too.

I am unable to load anyone's Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, or Halo: Reach service records here on Waypoint. Usually when that happens the fix is to play a game or two.

Last night I tried to load up Halo 3 and was having difficulty getting it to connect to Xbox Live. I was able to eventually, but it took a few tries, and playing some games did not fix the service record problem.
I can confirm that the connection issues occur on both the 360 and through the One back compat play. The issue resides with 343 and from what I can tell they haven't addressed the problem or provided a timeline on a possible fix. Currently, Halo 4 multiplayer is nigh unplayable. Me and my friend can typically only get into 2 or 3 games per hour.

343 really just needs to tell us one way or the other what's going to happen with this game.
I'm pretty sure 343 has kinda forgotten about Halo 4 on 360, even though its backwards compatible.