Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] 5th Community Writing Contest (Please Lock)

OP Flugel Meister

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
[Subject: Sargeant Avina Verana]

Avina isn't the first marine I've been asked to assess, nor will she be the last. In fact, there is nothing special about her or her crime.

I have stressed time and time again to commanders of every rank and file that the human mind, like the body, can only take so much trauma. I have expressed that, once that trauma reaches a certain, unbearable level- one shouldn't be surprised when the subject breaks beneath the weight of it. We're all humans, and humans are far more fragile than believed.

Avina fought a hundred battles where she kept her cool, a hundred firefights where she remained proffessional even as her men died around her. They say her squad had metamorphosed multiple times, that they were plagued by death, and still she remained strong. But everyone has a limit, and for Avina it was the hundred and first.

So she ran. She ran, not because she was considering desertion and the opportunity finally arrived. She ran because that hundred and first skirmish, that dozenth dead soldier- her soldier- was a final straw. No one should blame her. We have no right.

I urge the council to reconsider her sentence.

(198 words)
Psychological Assessment:

Subject: Captain “Crimson” Miller
Commanding Officer of Echo Company

Millers strict adherence to the “never leave a man behind” rule would have made him an exceptional officer, if not for his blatant disregard of protocol and procedures. His methods had been called into question when it was found out he purposely forged requisition forms to better outfit his men. This alone would have resulted in his court martial, were it not for his companies effectiveness. 65 successful missions without a casualty while under Millers command.

He has also, on several occasions, disobeyed direct orders regarding mission parameters. When asked by the military conduct board what his reasoning's for failing to follow orders, he argued that the superiors orders were flawed and had too many unknown variable and that he wouldn’t risk the lives of his men for some old men's glory.

Despite all that could tarnish his reputation, Command seem to hold Millers methods in high regard, constantly quashing any attempt for Miller to be brought to a military tribunal, citing his service record as their official response. Despite the incidents, Miller appears to be an outstanding leader and his company are who command look to when they want things done.
Before I start mine, I just want to say that due to my lack of any finished works of halo fiction, I don't have any actual previous characters to assess. That being said, this character will most likely appear in a future story of mine.
-----------------------------------------
Subject: Marine Martin Bassing
Bassing has a penchant for trouble, and a line of misdemeanors dating back to his enlistment. Why he has remained in the military is due to his tactical prowess, and that the majority of his commanding officers distrust of his capability to have a normal civilian life, due to his variety of mental irregularities.
Bassing has a number of mental conditions, causing his temper to be set off by the smallest things, complete lack of remorse, and a hatred for the Insurrection, as most of his issues stem from those very battles with them. When put in a situation where he is required to complete a task he deems unnecessary, he will completely refuse to do it, therefore it is not recommended to do as such.
It is recommended he be returned to training for remediation, and psychiatric therapy. Do this as soon as possible, as his mental condition appears to be deteriorating at an exponential rate, and could cause harm to squadmates and superiors. My recommendation, after his return from therapy, is to put him in a low stress position, where his tactical skill can be used without the stress of actual combat.
(200 words)
[Subject: Sargeant Avina Verana]Avina isn't the first marine I've been asked to assess, nor will she be the last. In fact, there is nothing special about her or her crime.

I have stressed time and time again to commanders of every rank and file that the human soul, like the body, can only take so much trauma. I have expressed that, once that trauma reaches a certain, unbearable level- one shouldn't be surprised when the subject breaks beneath the weight of it. We're all humans, Colonel, and humans are far more fragile than you believe.

Avina survived a hundred battles, a hundred firefights where she kept her cool, where she remained proffessional even as her men died around her. They say her squad had metamorphosed many times, that they were plagued by death, and still she remained strong. But everyone has a limit, and for Avina it was the hundred and first.

So she ran. She ran, not because she was considering desertion for a while and the opportunity finally arrived. She ran because that hundred and first skirmish, that dozenth dead soldier- her soldier- was a final straw. You shouldn't blame her. You can't.

I urge you to reconsider her sentence.

(199 words)
Brilliant.
Before I start mine, I just want to say that due to my lack of any finished works of halo fiction, I don't have any actual previous characters to assess. That being said, this character will most likely appear in a future story of mine.
-----------------------------------------
Psychological Assessment:Subject: Marine Martin BassingBassing has a penchant for trouble, and a line of misdemeanors dating back to his enlistment. Why he has remained in the military is due to his tactical prowess, and that the majority of his commanding officers distrust of his capability to have a normal civilian life, due to his variety of mental irregularities.
Bassing has a number of mental conditions, causing his temper to be set off by the smallest things, complete lack of remorse, and a hatred for the Insurrection, as most of his issues stem from those very battles with them. When put in a situation where he is required to complete a task he deems unnecessary, he will completely refuse to do it, therefore it is not recommended to do as such.
It is recommended he be returned to training for remediation, and psychiatric therapy. Do this as soon as possible, as his mental condition appears to be deteriorating at an exponential rate, and could cause harm to squadmates and superiors. My recommendation, after his return from therapy, is to put him in a low stress position, where his tactical skill can be used without the stress of actual combat.
(200 words)
You don't need any previous characters for this. Just make one up. And you have!
It would appear that you've all followed on with my train of thought and have given your characters issues. It's good that you're all making them more human and relatable, and not a one-man star destroyer.
Just wondering, can we include the psych report in a letter, so long as the report itself is within the word count?
J kid789 wrote:
Just wondering, can we include the psych report in a letter, so long as the report itself is within the word count?
Afraid not. It must be in the format that I provided in the example. The letter contest is in August I believe.
Subject: Lt. Alex Anderson - 425th ODST Corps
----------------------
Naturally aloof, Anderson can often come across as distant, and uninterested. He emits a 'cold' demeanor that seems to have manifested in his preferences regarding combat; Choosing to deal with scenarios from afar where possible. In his own words, he "Tends to make a mess of things up close"; a claim he supported with mention to his recent shoulder injury, apparently caused when he 'wrestled an enemy sniper from its perch'...indeed.
Despite this perception, he has been described by some of his more consistent squad-mates as loyal and compassionate, driven by a strong sense of morality. Admirable, though the latter of said traits, it appears, has become an issue as of late.

His abrasiveness towards command -as a result of his well known mistrust in those of higher rank- has only been perpetuated given his squad's recent...brushes, with the Office of Naval Intelligence. Given the likelihood of this organization's prolonged involvement with our current excursion, I suggest restricting further deployments to unrelated operations, and an effort be made to increase the Lieutenant's morale by rostering familiar faces to his squad.
Perhaps this will aid in distracting from...whatever it is our friends at O.N.I. are up to.
----------------------
[196 Words]

Decided to use a character I came up with back in my ODST days but never really did anything with. This report comes from a medical officer aboard the ship he is stationed on, just to clarify, since ONI is mentioned as a third party.
For those wondering what the new year [2017] holds for the writing contests, here's the list, complete with descriptions.

• Be succinct (May) - write a 200 word psych report on a specific individual. The lesson here is to be concise. Learn to write small.
  • Character creation (Jun) - Create two characters that don't get along. The lesson here is to avoid hyperbole and clichés.
  • Letter (Jul) - One character writes a letter to the other. The lesson here is to build the character, not the world.
  • Description (Aug) - Describe a specific environment. This will get you used to using description and making your environments realistic and vivid.
  • Action (Sep) - Provide a short action sequence. The focus here is to get writers used to describing action.
  • Dialogue (Oct) - Get used to using convincing dialogue. Convincing dialogue is a joy to read.
  • The Event (Nov) - Isolation. A mysterious event takes place and your character is the sole survivor. Go.
  • Open Writing event (Dec) - Use what you have learned to craft a convincing story.
Important things to note.
  1. The above list is subject to change. Specific settings, word length, characters and events will be set by me. So don't try getting ahead by starting on your December entry now. You may find it completely unusable for the contest.
  2. Each new Contest will begin with a teaching element and an example. Use it. Your writing will improve as a result.
  3. The word length will change with each contest.
  4. Try something new. It's hard to let go of a character you're currently developing or struggling with, or even doing well with, but sometimes cutting the cord can be a liberating and rewarding experience. Don't constantly rely on a list of old, previously created characters.
  5. Enjoy it. Though there are spoils for winning, namely in the form of a forum badge, the aim here is to have fun. That's an order!
i'm not good at writing in general but i think i'll try my hand at september
SkySaps wrote:
For those wondering what the new year [2017] holds for the writing contests, here's the list, complete with descriptions.

• Be succinct (May) - write a 200 word psych report on a specific individual. The lesson here is to be concise. Learn to write small.
  • Character creation (Jun) - Create two characters that don't get along. The lesson here is to avoid hyperbole and clichés.
  • Letter (Jul) - One character writes a letter to the other. The lesson here is to build the character, not the world.
  • Description (Aug) - Describe a specific environment. This will get you used to using description and making your environments realistic and vivid.
  • Action (Sep) - Provide a short action sequence. The focus here is to get writers used to describing action.
  • Dialogue (Oct) - Get used to using convincing dialogue. Convincing dialogue is a joy to read.
  • The Event (Nov) - Isolation. A mysterious event takes place and your character is the sole survivor. Go.
  • Open Writing event (Dec) - Use what you have learned to craft a convincing story.
Have you seen Flugel's Halo Writing Workshop? Really useful to help get pointers and talk through ways to structure, practice and evolve your writing.

Also, if you enjoy writing why not have a stab at the other conpetitions? Will help get ready for September and we're none of us professionals here (I don't think), all just trying to improve.
SkySaps wrote:

Important things to note.
  1. The above list is subject to change. Specific settings, word length, characters and events will be set by me. So don't try getting ahead by starting on your December entry now. You may find it completely unusable for the contest.
  2. Each new Contest will begin with a teaching element and an example. Use it. Your writing will improve as a result.
  3. The word length will change with each contest.
  4. Try something new. It's hard to let go of a character you're currently developing or struggling with, or even doing well with, but sometimes cutting the cord can be a liberating and rewarding experience. Don't constantly rely on a list of old, previously created characters.
  5. Enjoy it. Though there are spoils for winning, namely in the form of a forum badge, the aim here is to have fun. That's an order!
Then you've come to the 'write' place. See what I did there?

Millers strict adherence to the “never leave a man behind” rule would have made him an exceptional officer, if not for his blatant disregard of protocol and procedures. His methods had been called into question when it was found out he purposely forged requisition forms to better outfit his men. This alone would have resulted in his court martial, were it not for his companies effectiveness. 65 successful missions without a casualty while under Millers command.

He has also, on several occasions, disobeyed direct orders regarding mission parameters. When asked by the military conduct board what his reasoning's for failing to follow orders, he argued that the superiors orders were flawed and had too many unknown variable and that he wouldn’t risk the lives of his men for some old men's glory.

Despite all that could tarnish his reputation, Command seem to hold Millers methods in high regard, constantly quashing any attempt for Miller to be brought to a military tribunal, citing his service record as their official response. Despite the incidents, Miller appears to be an outstanding leader and his company are who command look to when they want things done.
Marine or ODST?
-Deleted Post- Waypont glitched out and sent my post twice.Real Post Is below
Subject:ODST Maxwell Silvers.

"Maxwell was very unique.He laughed at the face of death many times only to cheat death.Especially during missions" remarked ODST Jules Chan.Silvers is a rather reckless soldier.This has costed the lives of many of his platoon mates.Moreover,He has a habit of killing anyone he can.This has caused many ODSTs to retire after fights with Maxwell.But in the battlefield,Maxwell is a top stratgist.The only thing holding back was his bloodthirst.Though he had better plans,he always chose the plan with more death which costed the lives of many enemies and teammates.

Maxwell was pronounced dead after a miscalculation from the UNSC Golden Hammer dropped his pod straight into a nuclear station on Earth which has caused many fears and complications on earth.

Maxwell was feared by his colleagues and enemies but respected from the many times he cheated death and finally died an ODST.Going feet first into hell.

Marine or ODST?
sorry I haven't logged in in a while. He's a marine
Here's my try. :)

Subject: Lorne - 105th Division (Lorne Bautista - ODST)

Lorne is a rather interesting individual with lots of opportunity and potential. A young orphan who loves to work solo and without large groups or fellow corpses, this young Helljumper often finds himself successful in operations but indefinitely struggles with his own horrific mind. A result definitely pertaining to his past consisting of abuse, neglect, and autism disorders, adding more depth to his self given name Lorne, meaning forsaken.

Lorne typically presents a behavior of isolation and fear. I definitely sense this drama among him due to difficulty with communication and himself opening up. His focus he proclaims is to redeem the sins of his past through serving, and to broaden his life anew. Recently, Lorne has demonstrated more social interaction with others and an interest in Covenant military hardware.

I recommend immediate abnormal, abuse and fear therapy so that he may improve himself socially, mentally and on the battlefield.
Only a few days left until the closing date of the 15th May, 23.59 Seattle time.
Only a few days left until the closing date of the 15th May, 23.59 Seattle time.
What About the Contest 4 Results? Still marking? Don't worry though.Take your time.
Pyschological Assessment:

Subject Tux - ODST (A-972)

Tux has exceeded many expectations in his career; However recent actions have made it increasingly clear that he is incapable of solo active field work, after the sudden horrific loss of his Fireteam. Mission [REDACTED].

Tux suffered a complete breakdown, possibly linked to the memories of his youth when he witnessed his home being glassed. This is the first time he has lost anybody since the destruction of Reach.

Following his rejected application for the Spartan IV program, it is my opinion that Tux A-972 is to begin a full reintegration program where he is placed with a new squad. Should his situation deteriorate further he is to be completely removed from ODST as unfit for service.

Tux has earnt a second chance, though his actions should be viewed closely, as not to endanger the lives of himself or his new squad.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7