Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

A few questions about the Precursors

OP Starbenex

So when were precursors introduced into Halo? I don't remember them being mentioned in any of the games. Were they added in by Bungie or 343i? Anyways would you guys like to see them in any way in future Halo titles? I know the reception of the Didact being a living Forerunner was a bit mixed.
The precursors were never mentioned in the games. They are part of the EU (Expanded Universe), so in the books. And we kinda already had them in the games. After the forerunner precursor war, the precursors tried to save their lives but turned themselves into thze flood.
Starbenex wrote:
So when were precursors introduced into Halo? I don't remember them being mentioned in any of the games. Were they added in by Bungie or 343i? Anyways would you guys like to see them in any way in future Halo titles? I know the reception of the Didact being a living Forerunner was a bit mixed.
The Precursors originated from Bungie and were first mentioned in the Halo 3 Bestarium and mentioned indirectly in the Halo 3 terminals back in 2007 and 343i expanded on them in the Forerunner Saga novels.
The precursors were never mentioned in the games. They are part of the EU (Expanded Universe), so in the books. And we kinda already had them in the games. After the forerunner precursor war, the precursors tried to save their lives but turned themselves into thze flood.
Actually the Precursors turned themselves into the Flood as a long-con revenge against the Forerunners.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Actually the Precursors turned themselves into the Flood as a long-con revenge against the Forerunners.
That was their excuse, but was it true? Did they know that Ancient Humans and San Shyu'um would feed their dust to their pets, who would mutate and become the Flood?
Actually, it sounds quite believable now.
They could've intended it to be eaten, and purposely had it mutate.
That was their excuse, but was it true? Did they know that Ancient Humans and San Shyu'um would feed their dust to their pets, who would mutate and become the Flood?
The dust form was originally intended as a mechanism for long-term (very long term) stasis, to hide from and escape the Forerunners who were slaughtering the Precursors.

The dust-stasis failed somehow, and the Flood (which was obviously bent on revenge) was the result. So, essentially the failed Precursor stasis dust became the first form of Flood "spores", which leads on to the rest of the Flood's history. Revenge wasn't a Precursor plan, as far as we know, just certainly a Flood one.

At least that's the information we have to go on. It's possible the Precursors intended to come back and get revenge on the Forerunners after their dust state, but it's also possible they would have simply gone off to work on another galaxy. We don't know what their end-game was at the time.
Wouldn't have to be fed either, any kind of exposure to it would make it work.
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Well, to the Forerunners, Precursors were there gods, they believed the Precursors created everything. The Forerunners tried to claim the Mantle but the Precursors wouldn't let them. Therefore, the Forerunners eradicated the Precursors, turning them into small particles. Some of the particles were stored in cylindrical containers. The Forerunners then realized they had made a mistake and tried to reincarnate the late Precursors with their particles. It failed, creating the Flood.
Well even before Humanity experimented with the dust on their pets, the dust brought sickness and decay to any other life it touched so at the very least it had Flood-like effects even before it rose as the Flood we would later come to know.
The Halo 3 terminals hint at the existence of a god-like species that the Forerunners revered, but the first named reference to them is the Bestiarum's Tiers of Technology page, in which the Precursors are given as an example of a Tier 0: Transsentient civilization. The Bestiarum was created during Halo 3's development and released in physical format as part of its Collector's edition and as a DVD bonus feature in the Legendary edition. So the concept of the Precursors came to be during Bungie's hold on the franchise, but were never mentioned by name in-game.

Given their incomprehensibly advanced technology, any usage of them, short of the cliché "indifferent gods" role, would eliminate any tension or render me unable to take any attempts by the writers to create tension seriously. If the Precursors showed up as an enemy, I'd take anything less than automatic victory as absurd retcon; if they showed up as an ally, it would be absurd if they couldn't more or less instantly resolve military conflicts. And having Precursors show up just to show us that they are alive and are beyond all of us is a waste of time and narrative space. Best to leave them be, with the understanding that they are likely still out there, always watching.
Well even before Humanity experimented with the dust on their pets, the dust brought sickness and decay to any other life it touched so at the very least it had Flood-like effects even before it rose as the Flood we would later come to know.
No, it didn't do anything other than cause mutations in those weird dog-cat-things. It was completely inert beyond that.
No, it didn't do anything other than cause mutations in those weird dog-cat-things. It was completely inert beyond that.
Yes it did. Read Silentium. Actually here it is from Halopedia: The few Precursors that escaped from (or were spared by) the Forerunners either went into suspended animation or transmuted themselves into dust that would regenerate into their past forms at a later time. However, over time the dust became defective, creating sickness, disease and biological mutations in other organisms that came into contact with it. With this new form — the earliest stage of the Flood — the Precursors vowed that none of their creations would rise against them again. A significantly mutated Precursor, one that would later be known as the last surviving one of its kind, was sealed in a Precursor stasis capsule and placed in a small, ravaged planetoid at the galaxy's edge around 9,000,000 BCE. This being, later known as the Primordial, would eventually reveal the nature of the Flood to those willing to know the truth.

The humans' experiments with the Pheru came millions of years later.
Those canisters of powder didn't come into contact with anyone until the humans found them. They were found inside crashed ships and remained there until humans stumbled upon them. At first they were seemingly inert and only had possitive effects on the Pheru sometime later. It was after widespread use by the humans and San 'Shyuum that the powder began to mutate the Pheru and then spread to human and San 'Shyuum. That's where the Flood came from. They didn't cause any death or disease until widespread use by humans.
Those canisters of powder didn't come into contact with anyone until the humans found them. They were found inside crashed ships and remained there until humans stumbled upon them. At first they were seemingly inert and only had possitive effects on the Pheru sometime later. It was after widespread use by the humans and San 'Shyuum that the powder began to mutate the Pheru and then spread to human and San 'Shyuum. That's where the Flood came from. They didn't cause any death or disease until widespread use by humans.
I just gave you the info that says they did first start spreading sickness and misery millions of years before. The Precursors initated the reanimation process but it went wrong and they reincarnated as corrupted Precursors. They saw the misery this new form caused other lifeforms and decided to use it against the Forerunners and they set the Primordial and the rest of the powder/dust on a course for the Milky Way for that purpose. At least that's how I interpret it and that's what Halopedia and Silentium implies. I mean why would they send a corrupted powder to infect and destroy the Forerunners unless they new beforehand what it did. I mean I wouldn't send it to the Milky Way hoping someone would experiment with it and hopefully produce horrific infections and mutations as a result. I'd send something I knew beforehand was able to do that to my enemies and not rely on chance and unknowns if I were them.
I concede your position after having conferred with another user on the forum. You're right, I'm wrong.