Forums / Community / Halo Universe

A Master switch for all Forerunner Technology

OP TheDarkSpartan

I've been thinking about this for a while now.
Humanity has master switches for everything. A switch that can turn everything off at once. Best example that I can give you would be the breaker box in your house. What happens if you turn one of the breakers off? That's right, a part of the power to your house is shut off. If someone wanted they could shut the main breaker off which would turn all of the power off to the house. Humanity has built similar fail safes into most of their technology that work in a similar way. If humanity is smart enough to do that then the same could be said for Forerunners and their technology as well.
Being vastly outnumbered and outgunned, it would be a safe assumption to say that what's left of the free universe would want to find such a fail safe to shut down all of the Guardians then and force Cortana and her forces into a corner.
Constructive thoughts?
Cortana was smart enough to disable the viral termination code implanted in her after less than a year of activation. I don't doubt that she found a way to do the same with any Forerunner failsafes
If its out there its in the Domain...which Cortana has in a stranglehold.
It ain't gonna be that easy.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Here's the thing though about a master fail safe. We have them for individual things, but not for all of civilization. We can shut down a nuclear reactor, but we can't shut down all nuclear reactors at once, let alone all other technological achievements of human civilization at once. I mean we can detonate an EMP in the atmosphere and disable all electronics in the affected area, but that's not strictly a fail safe.

A master fail safe on all Forerunner technology would be akin to us having a giant switch that just shuts off all technology on the planet Earth.
It does seem like something the Forerunners might do, in some way or another. I don't know what format that would look like, if something of that nature did exist. If it did, it's likely Cortana is controlling it now, and in my opinion, if she had it, she might have used it already to pacify rebellious systems. Maybe no need, since she has the Guardians? All speculative.
That's what i'm hoping for. An easy campaign gets boring even on Legendary.
Zachu511 wrote:
It does seem like something the Forerunners might do, in some way or another. I don't know what format that would look like, if something of that nature did exist. If it did, it's likely Cortana is controlling it now, and in my opinion, if she had it, she might have used it already to pacify rebellious systems. Maybe no need, since she has the Guardians? All speculative.
I'm counting on that 343 in their wisdom has thought of it. In a way it'd be like a Halo Universe reset. The Guardians themselves have me uneasy. If the Forerunners had these things, why weren't they used against the Flood? I'm sure they have different weapons other than emitting a giant EMP. Something that massive i'd imagine would have some major firepower. It'd be a waste to see all that they do is the same thing a microwave can do if you throw metal into it.
That's what i'm hoping for. An easy campaign gets boring even on Legendary.
Zachu511 wrote:
Not to mention it would be narratively silly. We gotta have SOME challenge for chief to overcome. Thats just what makes a good story.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Last year, I watched a movie about robots having took over the world. The whole population of earth went though surgery by said robots to keep them within their home while they conduct their experiments and operations. We're told that this robotic force spans a large portion of the Galaxy, and maybe even come from another. The world was given a supervisor to speak with Human figures who were given control over certain operations (kinda like Dr. Wallace Breen). Why is this important, you may ask?
Well, some teenager managed to tap into the supervisor's network and disabled this whole trans-galactic robotic force literally days after learning he could do that. Do that with the Forerunners, and they'll plummet from a fearful and overpowered faction to a joke. In other words: that is a terrible idea.

On the more constructive side of the argument, a master switch that disables everything Forerunner would instantly render Cortana's threat empty. If you can disable all her tech with a flick of a switch, what's there to fear? The same goes for the Forerunner Empire. If it could render everything Forerunner disabled, how could they be so powerful or threatening? If anything, it'll create more plotholes as the Flood would likely have used it, rendering the Arks and Halos inoperable, meaning they wouldn't fire and the parasite would be free to consume, evolve and expand to every Galaxy within their reach. Eventually, even time and space would be affected.
There would be no Halo series.