A TRUE Marine-focused game

OP TodayFob226083

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I love the Marine idea. I loved the utter hopelessness that the books expressed, and the games unfortunately (but for good reason) don't follow that aspect. Ill be playing on legendary, and I'll die after being shot our of my Scorpion, but the marines riding on the treds are still kicken after being shot by a dozen fuel rods.
When in reality, a near miss from a fuel rod would probably melt the marine's armor and mold it to their skin, which the pain could cause them to go into shock and die. Let alone being hit more than once, two or three times if they're a tough SOB by plasma or god forbid a needle round which would explode and gut them.
I'm not saying the Marine game needs to be that bloody, but at least have them die from a single shot or two, not survive long enough to see a Spartan in a tank die from external damage to the vehicle... which they we're the body shields for.
As to the Covenant helath. Yes that should also be lowered as half a mag from an assault rifle has been able to kill a shielded elite. And a few well placed shots should kill grunts and jackals. Brutes on the other hand, almost need to go back to being like they were in Halo 2: pure, unstoppable, beasts that take several mags to kill.

Basically read the books, and transfer it as is to the game.
Just play Halo Sars or Halo Wars 2 with a deck full of marines? Might work. If you want FPS, can’t help you.
The closest we can get to that is by tweaking the settings. We could be fortunate enough for some good developer to make it, like they did in Russia with Halo Online, but I doubt that.
I'd love to see a game focused on the Marines rather than Spartans or ODSTs. I've always wanted the games to accurately represent just how terrifying the Covenant actually are.

Off-topic: Would you mind sharing the settings for that gametype?
Ik this is an old convo but especially now with how the halo series is going, what with infinite and all, i would love to see a halo game having to do with halo marines trapped on a planet behind the enemy lines or something of the sort, just more down to earth and like a breif reality check to show how horrific the covenant or the forerunners can actually be.
That sounds awesome!
It would be interesting if it was like the Corporal Harland Chapter from the Sigma Octanus Section in the Fall of Reach novel by Eric Nylund
"Faster You want to die in the mud marine"
It would be interesting if it was like the Corporal Harland Chapter from the Sigma Octanus Section in the Fall of Reach novel by Eric Nylund
"Faster You want to die in the mud marine"
That sounds like a good idea, plus we would get some back story on other things going on, like we got with halo 3 osdt.
Would allow us to see events from a different point of view and personally I think something to how Republic commando worked would be interesting. Since your not playing as a one man army. We would just need the community to express enough interest in such a project to either Microsoft or 343 so that it would get off the ground.
Quote:
don't really understand why the covenant would die faster just because you do
I sorta get it for the sake of Grunts and Jackals. Like, in-game, they can take a decent amount of AR rounds until they go down, but I think we all know that canonically, three well placed rounds would probably be more than enough.
Very true, they are definitely scaled up a bit to not make it too easy on the higher difficulties.
Quote:
don't really understand why the covenant would die faster just because you do
I sorta get it for the sake of Grunts and Jackals. Like, in-game, they can take a decent amount of AR rounds until they go down, but I think we all know that canonically, three well placed rounds would probably be more than enough.
Considering the MA5B and MA5C (Halo 1 and 3 assault rifles) fire 7.62x51 mm rounds (the equivalent of a modern M60 machine gun) I would definitely agree. Technically a brain shot from a single round from the assault rifle would be enough to down a grunt.

Would be interesting if they decided to make the Assault rifle canon powerful for a single player Marine focused campaign in that it is stated in a few of the books the MA5B is accurate up to 500 yards when using single shot firing.
I've been thinking about a marine game for so long I really like the idea. I was also thinking that half of the game should be fighting against insurrectionist and after that first contact with the covenant in a sort of horror way like forward unto dawn did. Id also like it if there were more weapons like pistols or multiple ar's such as the halo ce ar, reach ar, halo 3odst pistol, halo ce pistol.
Sounds interesting but I don't enjoy playing Halo with a character made of paper so to speak. ODST was some what fun and brought a unique experience to Halo but what this franchise really needs is a entire Covenant based game. There are so many stories that could be told and I would rather play as an Elite which is comparable to a Spartan.
A very interesting concept. Arma 3 has a halo mod for playing as marines or odst. What I like about ArmA is the gear customization, I can have my custom character with his ball cap on and marine corps issue BDU. Check it out on YouTube, Joker314 puts out wicked arma content, he is a little green with halo canon but he tries.

Something along those lines would be cool. ArmA is based in a country though, bouncing around this big map with missions all over. Our Marine game should be based in a system with 3-4 planets and their moons, allowing for different skyboxes and terrain. After each 'act' (4-5 missions, planet side) you take on the role of the navy brass in orbit and decide where to deploy your assets next. Your previous assaults forced the covenant cruiser to pull their troops from area x, and redeploy them to area y. All the while your ship is taking fire and everyone around you on the bridge is scrambling around. I imagine the halo 4 spartan ops screen, but in total chaos. Therefore each decision made by any command element is still up to you. Not being able to blame command for the loss of the colonies is no longer an issue. Of course the Marines will have their input, supporting or bchoinkìng about the decisions made higher up. Halo: welcome to the suck
Halo: combat devolved
Helo: outer colonies
Guhbye: inner colonies
This type of game would be nice, but I think no one would get it without knowing the specifics. They might think that 343 Industries is milking the Halo series. Like "ooh let's do a game about the ODSTS!" Then "ooh let's do a game about the Marines!" It seems very repetitive to people who do not know the details.
I've always wanted a marine, or more typical ODST, game. One that I've thought would be cool is a true horror game where you combat the Flood as marines, possibly on Alpha or Delta Halo.

Unless it was a game set during the war with the Insurrectionists, or one that is just large-scale combat without a focus on your individual character, I do not see how a game as a marine could be done in a combat-sim style like the OP is describing while still being fun. Normal human marines, contrary to how they are portrayed in the existing games, couldn't take any kind of real punishment from Covenant weapons, and most of the time one sole Elite could kill 10 or more marines. A game like OP is describing would be extremely frustrating as you would die a ridiculous amount and not really be able to kill Elites or Brutes hardly ever. The game would have to have grunts and jackals be almost exclusively the enemies in order to be fair while being realistic. You would practically never be able to encounter a hunter, and only encounter one elite for every 50 or so grunts.

The OP is describing a Halo combat-sim, with realism being a top priority. While it would be interesting, it wouldn't be much fun due to the level of difficulty required to be realistic. You would die far too often and succeed far too little. ODST worked because it wasn't focused on realism. While the ODSTs aren't as strong as Master Chief was in Halo 3, they are still much stronger than they really would've been. Oh, and a game as a marine that is focused on realism would require sprint because the argument of "spartans can shoot while they are running" doesn't work here for obvious reasons.
I like how Left 4 Dead and Rainbow 6 handled it. The controls are intuitive enough, and the ability to interact with the environment is quite appropriate.
In all of the plot of all halo games there are secondary character's point of view that can be a whole new "Halo: <insert halo game name here>".

If 343 said "Halo Infinite will be the last game of the second trilogy", I think they have so many ideas to continue publishing halo games, because if they look back to the every halo game's plot there is unseen parts that leaves with the question of how would be the experience of being there.

Like, in Halo 3, the fight in the earth against the flood, when lord Hood decides only to send one frigate (if were sended more, i don't know it), some more vehicles and one hundred soldiers or so (I think that due the size of the ship) to the ark to support Master Chief, leaving the mayority of the UNSC to defend the earth, and the same for other many useen histories.

Also no elites fighted for the earth in that part of the history (or maybe four? -free thinking-), because they wanted revenge against the prophet of Truth and the covenant.

That history could be played as an ODST or a marine, if its played being a marine, in the normal dificulty I wouldn't put floods with shields and for the pure forms I would put a fallen elite's sword or two in the same area.
I like your lines of thinking, but I want a game based on the Insurrection, and more importantly, to fight as an Innie rather than some character from a branch of the UNSC.

That aspect of the lore needs a little more love anyway. Would love to see the UNSC and their relationship with Rebels be fleshed out a bit more.
This made me think, a game based on the insurrection? I can agree that that's an awesome idea. But what if we could choose which side to play for? You could choose whether to play through the game as a rebel or a greenhorn. HOWEVER, there would be absolutely no dual storyline bc that would mess with peep's heads (halo 2 did it just fine though) so there'd be no changing sides whatsoever, pick a side and deal with it (unless you started a new game). TBH I have actually wanted to see the insurrection in the games and not just in the books.
xeosax wrote:
I like your lines of thinking, but I want a game based on the Insurrection, and more importantly, to fight as an Innie rather than some character from a branch of the UNSC.

That aspect of the lore needs a little more love anyway. Would love to see the UNSC and their relationship with Rebels be fleshed out a bit more.
This made me think, a game based on the insurrection? I can agree that that's an awesome idea. But what if we could choose which side to play for? You could choose whether to play through the game as a rebel or a greenhorn. HOWEVER, there would be absolutely no dual storyline bc that would mess with peep's heads (halo 2 did it just fine though) so there'd be no changing sides whatsoever, pick a side and deal with it (unless you started a new game). TBH I have actually wanted to see the insurrection in the games and not just in the books.
I was thinking of a game along the lines of first contact with the Covenant. So you start the game fighting the Innies but then all hell breaks loose when the Cov arrive
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4