About that Fall of Reach Animated Series trailer

OP JJAB91

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
Pause at 1:12 I already see two major errors.

1. Samuel can be seen wearing CQB. The CQB armor variant was not developed until after the Battle of Jericho VII which took place in 2535. Thats 10 years after this scene.

2. Samuel is also seen wielding a Battle Rifle. Not only was the BR we know today not developed yet(Outside of a few prototypes such as the XBR-55, but why would the Spartans have access to that?) but the BR he is holding is the BR-85, a weapon that was not developed until late in the Covenant War almost 30 years later and based on the data from the BR-55 and BR-55HB which didn't even exist yet.

3. We also see later in the trailer a brief flash of Linda in ARGUS-class Mjolnir, which to my knowledge didn't exist yet either.
What bugs me the most right now is that they've replaced the Covenant ship that attacks the Commonwealth with a CCS-class Battlecruiser and placed a stealth Elite on board.
What bugs me the most right now is that they've replaced the Covenant ship that attacks the Commonwealth with a CCS-class Battlecruiser and placed a stealth Elite on board.
Well we to be fair the ship was retconned into a CCS back when they made the comic adaptation. As for the Elite where do you see that? I must have missed it.

EDIT: Yeah I see it now. You only see his boot and the sound of a sword. Still though.
JJAB91 wrote:
Well we to be fair the ship was retconned into a CCS back when they made the comic adaptation. As for the Elite where do you see that? I must have missed it.

EDIT: Yeah I see it now. You only see his boot and the sound of a sword. Still though.
Still it's only supposed to be a 3rd the size of the Commonwealth.
I'm fine with it being a Sangheili that is technically responsible for the first Spartan casualty in the war, instead of a Jackal that fired on reflex.

You could argue that Sam's original death tells the audience that when it comes to the Covenant, death could come at any time from any where, even for Spartan super soldiers. But since I'm one of those people who want the Sangheili to return to being a Spartan's equal rather than cannon fodder, I'm all for the Sangheili getting this "win".
JJAB91 wrote:

1. Samuel can be seen wearing CQB. The CQB armor variant was not developed until after the Battle of Jericho VII which took place in 2535. Thats 10 years after this scene.

2. Samuel is also seen wielding a Battle Rifle. Not only was the BR we know today not developed yet(Outside of a few prototypes such as the XBR-55, but why would the Spartans have access to that?) but the BR he is holding is the BR-85, a weapon that was not developed until late in the Covenant War almost 30 years later and based on the data from the BR-55 and BR-55HB which didn't even exist yet.

3. We also see later in the trailer a brief flash of Linda in ARGUS-class Mjolnir, which to my knowledge didn't exist yet either.
Fictionally: You realize that lots of tech is prototyped YEARS in advance, right?

Practically: Sometimes you make decisions based on the need to make relateable connections. Every once in a while that might not jive with random scattered details that were "preestablished." It's not remotely egregious enough to not be able to enjoy the whole piece because of it lol. Embrace the details when they line up (which they usually do), and don't fret the ones that don't necessarily do so exactly how you would want it to (as well as assume there is always some sort of reason for why it was done that way).

:-)
JJAB91 wrote:

I really wouldn't consider the comic a retcon(however this does kinda confirm it is) because of artists freedom. Those comics where ment to be a nice summary more than anything as characters are missing or entire events are completely changed.
On the topic of the trailer, I don't see the problem with the battle rifle, could it not be a new older model canon wise?
Also did anyone notice how the mark 4 looks like its gen2 concept art from The Art of Halo 4?
JJAB91 wrote:

Fictionally: You realize that lots of tech is prototyped YEARS in advance, right?

Practically: Sometimes you make decisions based on the need to make relateable connections. Every once in a while that might not jive with random scattered details that were "preestablished." It's not remotely egregious enough to not be able to enjoy the whole piece because of it lol. Embrace the details when they line up (which they usually do), and don't fret the ones that don't necessarily do so exactly how you would want it to (as well as assume there is always some sort of reason for why it was done that way).

The whole "ITS A PROTOTYPE!!!" exuse doesn't really work when you got a weapon model thats meant to be a successor to a weapon that is also still in the prototype stage.

Not to mention how in reality, "Prototype" doesn't mean "fully realized technology that works perfectly and simply won't be widespread until decades later".

Just like how people generally don't like it when you essentially sell them a beta of a game rather than the final product, I'd imagine it's not a good idea to give soldiers in a combat scenario equipment that has no real guarentee of actually working or being reliable.
If you don't like the fictional rational, simply move on to the practical one. :)
The presence of a Battle Rifle doesn't really bother me when the prototype was used in the Battle of Harvest.
If you don't like the fictional rational, simply move on to the practical one. :)
In my opinion, let's just stop trying to make fictional explanations for things that clearly weren't done with the fiction in mind. Because all we end up with is a more confusing Universe.

Like, everyone accepts that Halo Legends' visuals are noncanon, so there's really no need to try and explain away the visuals here.
The presence of a Battle Rifle doesn't really bother me when the prototype was used in the Battle of Harvest.
The presence of a battle rifle isn't really that big of an issue for me in and of itself, I just don't understand why it and the other weapons had to be the post-war Halo 4/5 models.
Skeleborn wrote:
The presence of a battle rifle isn't really that big of an issue for me in and of itself, I just don't understand why it and the other weapons had to be the post-war Halo 4/5 models.
Especially when 343 has the high-fidelty BR55 model from H2A to work with. So its not like the BR85 was the only high-quality BR the artists could reference.
The thing that bothered me the most about that trailer was the way Halsey's line about the Spartans' conscription has been changed to say "ORION II" instead of the original "SPARTAN II". I know the project was originally called that, but in Halsey's journal she ditches the Orion name in 2513, four years before her introductory speech to the kids. Just seems like a terribly pointless and confusing change to make - one that introduces a new discrepancy where there used to be none for no real reason.
JJAB91 wrote:

While I understand the practical reasons your fictional reasoning makes no sense. Prototyping can't exist for a helmet that was conceived due to a battle that didn't happen yet or for a rifle that was created as a upgrade to rifles that also don't exist yet. "Prototyping" only goes so far.
Then why come up with the fictional excuse of "prototyping" in the first place? Sure it may have taken more time to get things right but considering this entire animated series exists for the lore then getting the lore right should be top priority, otherwise why even make it?
I'm not seeing why Sam's CQC helmet couldn't just be one phase in the development of the CQC helmet that would be finalized after the Battle of Jericho VII. Daisy-023 had a helmet similar to it in Homecoming.
I'm not seeing why Sam's CQC helmet couldn't just be one phase in the development of the CQC helmet that would be finalized after the Battle of Jericho VII. Daisy-023 had a helmet similar to it in Homecoming.
Sam's helmet appears to be CQB not CQC.

Also Daisy's helmet isn't canon just like the majority of Halo Legends' visual styling.
The Elites and Grunts with the H4 design shouldn't be there either.
They weren't a part of the Covenant at this time.
JJAB91 wrote:
Sam's helmet appears to be CQB not CQC.

Also Daisy's helmet isn't canon just like the majority of Halo Legends' visual styling.
I stand corrected, CQB. not CQC. Still, I'm not seeing the conflict. As for Daisy's helmet not being canon, exactly where do Legend's visual stylings become non-canon? Things like Han's design as a female Sangheili? Yes. But Daisy's armor? Given that we've been seeing Spartans in different armor variants, why would that instance have to be non-canon? Kelly wears a EVA helmet in Legends, seems to have one here and in Halo 5 and Escalation that is more the same. Frankie said their is interpretation to this kind of thing.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7