1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
I'll steal a bit from CF to help elucidate...

Nothing has changed about the CQB variant of the Mjolnir armor system. Samuel is utilizing a developmental helmet permutation that shares visual cues with the eventual CQB. This kind of cross-germination of physical shape and design between all Mjolnir platforms was pervasive in the early development of Mjolnir at the Materials Group facilities.
So when the actual CQB helmet was being developed in 2535 it took visual cues from this helmet we see in the trailer? Fair enough, although that does raise questions as to why the Spartans would be given such developmental technology during a life or death mission where they literally didn't know what they were going into.

What of the BR then?
JJAB91 wrote:
Pause at 1:12 I already see two major errors.

1. Samuel can be seen wearing CQB. The CQB armor variant was not developed until after the Battle of Jericho VII which took place in 2535. Thats 10 years after this scene.

2. Samuel is also seen wielding a Battle Rifle. Not only was the BR we know today not developed yet(Outside of a few prototypes such as the XBR-55, but why would the Spartans have access to that?) but the BR he is holding is the BR-85, a weapon that was not developed until late in the Covenant War almost 30 years later and based on the data from the BR-55 and BR-55HB which didn't even exist yet.

3. We also see later in the trailer a brief flash of Linda in ARGUS-class Mjolnir, which to my knowledge didn't exist yet either.
Fictionally: You realize that lots of tech is prototyped YEARS in advance, right?

Not in the anime method.
Anime method meaning actually seeing combat.

Quote:
Practically: Sometimes you make decisions based on the need to make relateable connections. Every once in a while that might not jive with random scattered details that were "preestablished." It's not remotely egregious enough to not be able to enjoy the whole piece because of it lol. Embrace the details when they line up (which they usually do), and don't fret the ones that don't necessarily do so exactly how you would want it to (as well as assume there is always some sort of reason for why it was done that way).

:-)
Translation:
Marketing did it's testing with people who know absolutely NOTHING about the franchise so to "synergize" the product must look exactly like the current one being sold otherwise the average human brain cannot make the leap and connect the different products with each other even when the title of both product is the same, Halo, and the description of both product describe the same exact universe.

This is why i truly hate marketing.
Because a Halo CG movie needs to be tested with soccer moms....

Please, having the old Grunts, the old elites, the old armor was not going to confuse anyone but a 5 year old that somehow got he ability to drive himself to store and have money to attempt to buy a movie. Seriously.

Anyway, yeah, i dont like that they stayed with the 343 so much that even the female Mjolnir armor looks different than the male one.
At that time the average person was saying that you couldn't tell female spartans from male spartans apart. And from the vid they clearly have different armors that anyone could pick out quickly.
I know that in the perfect romanticized world of canonical hypersensitivity, everything would always fit, would never change once established, and would be disconnected from all environmental factors save for fictional purity.

I also know that it isn't reality. Also, while you might not like some of those "outside influences" meddling in your fictional details, the reality is that WITHOUT an incredible effort from all sorts of different sides of the equation, including marketing, we wouldn't even have a franchise to argue about.

Also, you hate marketing? How are you enjoying Hunt the Truth?
So far, Season 1 (even just the first three episodes) > Season 2. I just can't get into FERO as the main character.

But hey, since you're here, mind explaining why FERO is recording everything thats going on? I guess she could be trying to continue Ben's work, but it still dosn't really make sense. Like does FERO upload these recordings AFTER everything in Season 2 has already happened? Because it definitely doesn't seem like she has a chance to upload any episodes during the events so far, and I believe for Ben, he started uploading HtT after he got knocked out by that stewardess.
Hey guys I hate to be that guy but can we not keep quoting the giant wall of text that takes up a whole screen each time?
JJAB91 wrote:
Hey guys I hate to be that guy but can we not keep quoting the giant wall of text that takes up a whole screen each time?
UR NOT TEH BOSS OF ME

;-)
I guess I just don't see why anyone would deliberately choose to use out-of-place armor or weapons when there's the option to just use assets appropriate to the time period. I don't think it would adversely impact anyone's enjoyment of the show if Sam had been wearing a CQC helmet or brandishing a BR55. The opposite, meanwhile, does bother a small but non-insignificant number of passionate lore fans. So why not just get it right and satisfy everyone?
JJAB91 wrote:

Nothing has changed about the CQB variant of the Mjolnir armor system. Samuel is utilizing a developmental helmet permutation that shares visual cues with the eventual CQB. This kind of cross-germination of physical shape and design between all Mjolnir platforms was pervasive in the early development of Mjolnir at the Materials Group facilities.
So when the actual CQB helmet was being developed in 2535 it took visual cues from this helmet we see in the trailer? Fair enough, although that does raise questions as to why the Spartans would be given such developmental technology during a life or death mission where they literally didn't know what they were going into.

What of the BR then?
Another question is what would we call this helmet? Mjolnir power Assault armor/The one that looks like a CQB helmet in the future or TOTLLACQBHIF for short.
JJAB91 wrote:
Pause at 1:12 I already see two major errors.

1. Samuel can be seen wearing CQB. The CQB armor variant was not developed until after the Battle of Jericho VII which took place in 2535. Thats 10 years after this scene.

2. Samuel is also seen wielding a Battle Rifle. Not only was the BR we know today not developed yet(Outside of a few prototypes such as the XBR-55, but why would the Spartans have access to that?) but the BR he is holding is the BR-85, a weapon that was not developed until late in the Covenant War almost 30 years later and based on the data from the BR-55 and BR-55HB which didn't even exist yet.

3. We also see later in the trailer a brief flash of Linda in ARGUS-class Mjolnir, which to my knowledge didn't exist yet either.
Fictionally: You realize that lots of tech is prototyped YEARS in advance, right?

Not in the anime method.
Anime method meaning actually seeing combat.

Quote:
Practically: Sometimes you make decisions based on the need to make relateable connections. Every once in a while that might not jive with random scattered details that were "preestablished." It's not remotely egregious enough to not be able to enjoy the whole piece because of it lol. Embrace the details when they line up (which they usually do), and don't fret the ones that don't necessarily do so exactly how you would want it to (as well as assume there is always some sort of reason for why it was done that way).

:-)
Translation:
Marketing did it's testing with people who know absolutely NOTHING about the franchise so to "synergize" the product must look exactly like the current one being sold otherwise the average human brain cannot make the leap and connect the different products with each other even when the title of both product is the same, Halo, and the description of both product describe the same exact universe.

This is why i truly hate marketing.
Because a Halo CG movie needs to be tested with soccer moms....

Please, having the old Grunts, the old elites, the old armor was not going to confuse anyone but a 5 year old that somehow got he ability to drive himself to store and have money to attempt to buy a movie. Seriously.

Anyway, yeah, i dont like that they stayed with the 343 so much that even the female Mjolnir armor looks different than the male one.
At that time the average person was saying that you couldn't tell female spartans from male spartans apart. And from the vid they clearly have different armors that anyone could pick out quickly.
I know that in the perfect romanticized world of canonical hypersensitivity, everything would always fit, would never change once established, and would be disconnected from all environmental factors save for fictional purity.

talking about anime, that romanticized world is called Japan.
Over there they have the super power to keep continuity because they dont try to sell the product to the lowest common denominator.

Quote:
I also know that it isn't reality. Also, while you might not like some of those "outside influences" meddling in your fictional details, the reality is that WITHOUT an incredible effort from all sorts of different sides of the equation, including marketing, we wouldn't even have a franchise to argue about.

so marketing pull most of the weight to make halo?
Dude, make a deal with Mountain Dew and Doritos, go sell adds, fine, outside of that, get out.

Quote:

Also, you hate marketing? How are you enjoying Hunt the Truth?
I havent seen\heard any of it.
Apparently, the story is the standard ONI being evil creating lies. Seen that plenty of times already.
Heck, there was just a commercial released doing the same thing.

Is there any reason to look into it?
Weren't the CMA Arabia and Vostok destroyed by something a bit bigger than a CCS?
JJAB91 wrote:

What of the BR then?
I mean, Mjolnir in many ways was CONSTANTLY in a state of development. Also, developmental does not necessarily mean "totally brand new idea that we have no idea if it will work or not." I spent over a decade working in the motorsport industry in various capacities. Whether we were running a Viper GTS-R, Zonda GR, BMW M3-GT, are a myriad of other platforms, there was always some sort of development bits and bobs being fitted and tested. Some for performance, some for safety, some for reliability, etc.
Skeleborn wrote:
I guess I just don't see why anyone would deliberately choose to use out-of-place armor or weapons when there's the option to just use assets appropriate to the time period. I don't think it would adversely impact anyone's enjoyment of the show if Sam had been wearing a CQC helmet or brandishing a BR55. The opposite, meanwhile, does bother a small but non-insignificant number of passionate lore fans. So why not just get it right and satisfy everyone?
Not to mention, wont it confuse the casuls when they see a character with a helmet they cant actually use in Halo 5?
JJAB91 wrote:
UR NOT TEH BOSS OF ME

;-)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
JJAB91 wrote:
Blah blah blah
More blah blah
Another question is what would we call this helmet? Mjolnir power Assault armor/The one that looks like a CQB helmet in the future or TOTLLACQBHIF for short.
Seeing as how the CQB saw much of its development in later iterations handled by Beweglichkeitsrüstungsysteme, I don't think your proposed name is much of a stretch.

;-)
JJAB91 wrote:

What of the BR then?
I mean, Mjolnir in many ways was CONSTANTLY in a state of development. Also, developmental does not necessarily mean "totally brand new idea that we have no idea if it will work or not." I spent over a decade working in the motorsport industry in various capacities. Whether we were running a Viper GTS-R, Zonda GR, BMW M3-GT, are a myriad of other platforms, there was always some sort of development bits and bobs being fitted and tested. Some for performance, some for safety, some for reliability, etc.
Thanks for the explanation!

I wish however we could get a brief article or something about all this though. Something that'd be easier to link than several posts on a forum.
Skeleborn wrote:
Not to mention, wont it confuse the casuls when they see a character with a helmet they cant actually use in Halo 5?
Do you really think the casual viewer is even going to care about said helmet?
Skeleborn wrote:
No, however I do believe he has a point. Its an odd choice to choose an armor or weapons that could create canon issues rather than just picking ones that wouldn't.

...so i was kinda right?! Nice!
JJAB91 wrote:
Skeleborn wrote:
No, however I do believe he has a point. Its an odd choice to choose an armor or weapons that could create canon issues rather than just picking ones that wouldn't.
It would keep everyone happy if you just kept the story the same as the book and you don't change things. Also the whole BR thing is really a tough sell. Would it have been really hard just to give them AR's.
Skeleborn wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised if marketing included codes that include the armor featured in the movie when this comes out in DVD.

MARKETING!
JJAB91 wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:
I'm not seeing why Sam's CQC helmet couldn't just be one phase in the development of the CQC helmet that would be finalized after the Battle of Jericho VII. Daisy-023 had a helmet similar to it in Homecoming.
Sam's helmet appears to be CQB not CQC.

Also Daisy's helmet isn't canon just like the majority of Halo Legends' visual styling.
I stand corrected, CQB. not CQC. Still, I'm not seeing the conflict. As for Daisy's helmet not being canon, exactly where do Legend's visual stylings become non-canon? Things like Han's design as a female Sangheili? Yes. But Daisy's armor? Given that we've been seeing Spartans in different armor variants, why would that instance have to be non-canon? Kelly wears a EVA helmet in Legends, seems to have one here and in Halo 5 and Escalation that is more the same. Frankie said their is interpretation to this kind of thing.
Frankie directly stated in the commentary for that Halo Legends episode Daisy's helmet was a "nod" to multiplayer fans and not canonically set in stone.
Understood. Gotta rewatch that commentary sometime. Still, does that mean Sam could not have been testing an early form of the design? I'm all for keeping the number of retcons down, but I don't think we need to be absolutely bound to the books as they were. If so, then Elites would first be encountered at Reach and Brutes would still have been encountered first at the Raid on the Unyielding Hierophant. We all managed to accept those just fine, so a helmet doesn't bother me too much.
I might be misunderstanding you here, but if we're bound to the books, the first chronological encounter of the brutes would have been Harvest for the whole universe. Unless you were speaking about the first time Chief encountered them...
You guys take this -Yoink- too seriously.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7