2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 7
Still didn't get our answer about the BR...
JJAB91 wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:
I'm not seeing why Sam's CQC helmet couldn't just be one phase in the development of the CQC helmet that would be finalized after the Battle of Jericho VII. Daisy-023 had a helmet similar to it in Homecoming.
Sam's helmet appears to be CQB not CQC.

Also Daisy's helmet isn't canon just like the majority of Halo Legends' visual styling.
I stand corrected, CQB. not CQC. Still, I'm not seeing the conflict. As for Daisy's helmet not being canon, exactly where do Legend's visual stylings become non-canon? Things like Han's design as a female Sangheili? Yes. But Daisy's armor? Given that we've been seeing Spartans in different armor variants, why would that instance have to be non-canon? Kelly wears a EVA helmet in Legends, seems to have one here and in Halo 5 and Escalation that is more the same. Frankie said their is interpretation to this kind of thing.
Frankie directly stated in the commentary for that Halo Legends episode Daisy's helmet was a "nod" to multiplayer fans and not canonically set in stone.
Understood. Gotta rewatch that commentary sometime. Still, does that mean Sam could not have been testing an early form of the design? I'm all for keeping the number of retcons down, but I don't think we need to be absolutely bound to the books as they were. If so, then Elites would first be encountered at Reach and Brutes would still have been encountered first at the Raid on the Unyielding Hierophant. We all managed to accept those just fine, so a helmet doesn't bother me too much.
I might be misunderstanding you here, but if we're bound to the books, the first chronological encounter of the brutes would have been Harvest for the whole universe. Unless you were speaking about the first time Chief encountered them...
When Halo: First Strike first came out, Brute were first encountered during the raid on Unyielding Hierophant. That only changed with the release of Contact Harvest. The parallels to this CQB-like helmet are very similar.
You guys take this -Yoink- too seriously.
Actually, this is about them not taking this seriously enough.
They went TMNT the cartoon with the armor to make sure you could tell each apart.
I mean, seriously, is it really that hard to put the stuff the way it should be?
Toa Freak wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:
I'm not seeing why Sam's CQC helmet couldn't just be one phase in the development of the CQC helmet that would be finalized after the Battle of Jericho VII. Daisy-023 had a helmet similar to it in Homecoming.
Sam's helmet appears to be CQB not CQC.

Also Daisy's helmet isn't canon just like the majority of Halo Legends' visual styling.
I stand corrected, CQB. not CQC. Still, I'm not seeing the conflict. As for Daisy's helmet not being canon, exactly where do Legend's visual stylings become non-canon? Things like Han's design as a female Sangheili? Yes. But Daisy's armor? Given that we've been seeing Spartans in different armor variants, why would that instance have to be non-canon? Kelly wears a EVA helmet in Legends, seems to have one here and in Halo 5 and Escalation that is more the same. Frankie said their is interpretation to this kind of thing.
Frankie directly stated in the commentary for that Halo Legends episode Daisy's helmet was a "nod" to multiplayer fans and not canonically set in stone.
Understood. Gotta rewatch that commentary sometime. Still, does that mean Sam could not have been testing an early form of the design? I'm all for keeping the number of retcons down, but I don't think we need to be absolutely bound to the books as they were. If so, then Elites would first be encountered at Reach and Brutes would still have been encountered first at the Raid on the Unyielding Hierophant. We all managed to accept those just fine, so a helmet doesn't bother me too much.
I might be misunderstanding you here, but if we're bound to the books, the first chronological encounter of the brutes would have been Harvest for the whole universe. Unless you were speaking about the first time Chief encountered them...
When Halo: First Strike first came out, Brute were first encountered during the raid on Unyielding Hierophant. That only changed with the release of Contact Harvest. The parallels to this CQB-like helmet are very similar.
Fair enough, I didn't start reading any of the novels until recently, so I wasn't paying attention to release date when I did. I was using the in-universe time stamps on chapters/events to make my statement.

Either way, it's not a huge deal, but since the groundwork was laid early on to keep the time frames straight it does seem shoddy that certain aspects go seemingly ignored. Nylund and the staff mention in the extras in Legends how hard it was to weave all of the threads to get everyone where they had already canonically stated they were, so much so that they needed an event vectoring crystal to make it work, that it does come across as careless when someone drops a much newer model of rifle into an older time period for matters of expedience and the cost/benefit analysis of creating the proper model for that one scene.

Then I remember that it's supposed to be entertaining, and I ask myself why I have the chalkboard in the living room again...:D
JJAB91 wrote:
Pause at 1:12 I already see two major errors.

1. Samuel can be seen wearing CQB. The CQB armor variant was not developed until after the Battle of Jericho VII which took place in 2535. Thats 10 years after this scene.

2. Samuel is also seen wielding a Battle Rifle. Not only was the BR we know today not developed yet(Outside of a few prototypes such as the XBR-55, but why would the Spartans have access to that?) but the BR he is holding is the BR-85, a weapon that was not developed until late in the Covenant War almost 30 years later and based on the data from the BR-55 and BR-55HB which didn't even exist yet.

3. We also see later in the trailer a brief flash of Linda in ARGUS-class Mjolnir, which to my knowledge didn't exist yet either.
Fictionally: You realize that lots of tech is prototyped YEARS in advance, right?

Practically: Sometimes you make decisions based on the need to make relateable connections. Every once in a while that might not jive with random scattered details that were "preestablished." It's not remotely egregious enough to not be able to enjoy the whole piece because of it lol. Embrace the details when they line up (which they usually do), and don't fret the ones that don't necessarily do so exactly how you would want it to (as well as assume there is always some sort of reason for why it was done that way).

:-)
For instance, the XBR55 was a prototype Battle Rifle used in 2525, the year Harvest was attacked, which was on February 23rd, 2525, ten months later on November 27th, Spartans John, Kelly, Fred and Samuel board the Unrelenting (wearing prototype Mjolnir armor in general) and Samuel was the first ever Spartan casualty in the war.

Armor AND weaponry like Grim had stated are made in advanced so testing can be done
seems pretty weird but cool
So much talk of MJOLNIR aesthetic and not enough talk about MASTER CHIEF'S FACE!!! I'm not talking about little 6 year old Chief, which we've seen before, I'm talking about MJOLNIR clad Master Chief without his helmet on. Although he was probably 15 at that time, but considering he was around that age in Forward Unto Dawn and they didn't show his face, his face showing up here is a big deal to me. However I do have a feeling we won't see it again once he's the adult Chief we know from the games.

Speaking of aesthetic though, I like that the Chief's helmet looks similar to the helmet from Halo 4. It's not identical, but it shows you what they mean when they say Cortana styled Chief's Halo 4 armor after an older version of Mark IV. It reminds me a tiny bit of the old concept for Halo Wars as well.

Edit: Still got my fingers crossed it finally puts some of the Fall of Reach/Reach contradictions to rest. I'm also curious to know how much First Strike is incorporated into this movie.
They went TMNT the cartoon with the armor to make sure you could tell each apart.
I mean, seriously, is it really that hard to put the stuff the way it should be?
Look, I'm into the lore big time, but I'm sure having a bunch of Spartans roughly the same height and width with the same armor walking around with no big distinguishing features would be difficult. Some things I think work in a visual medium and some things in a literary one.
JJAB91 wrote:
Skeleborn wrote:
I guess I just don't see why anyone would deliberately choose to use out-of-place armor or weapons when there's the option to just use assets appropriate to the time period. I don't think it would adversely impact anyone's enjoyment of the show if Sam had been wearing a CQC helmet or brandishing a BR55. The opposite, meanwhile, does bother a small but non-insignificant number of passionate lore fans. So why not just get it right and satisfy everyone?
Not to mention, wont it confuse the casuls when they see a character with a helmet they cant actually use in Halo 5?
Do you really think the casual viewer is even going to care about said helmet?
No, however I do believe he has a point. Its an odd choice to choose an armor or weapons that could create canon issues rather than just picking ones that wouldn't.
It would keep everyone happy if you just kept the story the same as the book and you don't change things. Also the whole BR thing is really a tough sell. Would it have been really hard just to give them AR's.
Giving Sam a DMR would have made the most sense to be honest.
It's nice seeing the scene where John gets his helmet put on by Halsey.
Look, I'm into the lore big time, but I'm sure having a bunch of Spartans roughly the same height and width with the same armor walking around with no big distinguishing features would be difficult. Some things I think work in a visual medium and some things in a literary one.
I didnt say they should look exactly the same.
I asked if this would be difficult and apparently you think it is.

We already see that they have their numbers slapped on the chest armor. They could easily added some stripes here and there on their helmets and shoulders. You know, like they did in Halo Wars? That on top of each using different weapons should not be that much of an issue for any person with average intelligence. I mean, it worked for the TMNT, didn't it?

But, given the Mjolnir are shown without helmets the first time im now thinking the helmets are different mainly to have a scene where each spartan picks their helmet based on their specialty. So this is going to be a "character building scene."
Why's John some fps stereotype with brown hair and blue eyes...? -.- I thought he was a "cyborg" and don't get all technophobic and argue he isn't.
With the aid of his suit and the heavy modifications done to him in the spartan program, he by definition applies to: "A cyborg is a being with both organic and biomechatronic parts."
The trailer shows the spartan modifications slightly, but there is no real change in his physical appearance, there isn't any eye modifications done to him that are noticeable in other characters (Fred & Kelly) *Outside of Fall of Reach*
Seems like that detail was lost with the art direction, which is fine I guess. Not feeling like being told off by a dev for being too much of an analyst.
Why's John some fps stereotype with brown hair and blue eyes...? -.- I thought he was a "cyborg" and don't get all technophobic and argue he isn't.
With the aid of his suit and the heavy modifications done to him in the spartan program, he by definition applies to: "A cyborg is a being with both organic and biomechatronic parts."
The trailer shows the spartan modifications slightly, but there is no real change in his physical appearance, there isn't any eye modifications done to him that are noticeable in other characters (Fred & Kelly) *Outside of Fall of Reach*
Seems like that detail was lost with the art direction, which is fine I guess. Not feeling like being told off by a dev for being too much of an analyst.
He's not the Borg on Star Trek. The only thing that makes him a Cyborg is the fact his Brain has a neural implant which lets him interface and basically merge with his armor. Oh and then it was upgraded to house an AI. That's it. He's not "more machine than man" or anything.
He's not the Borg on Star Trek. The only thing that makes him a Cyborg is the fact his Brain has a neural implant which lets him interface and basically merge with his armor. Oh and then it was upgraded to house an AI. That's it. He's not "more machine than man" or anything.
Wouldn't he have had the eye modifications done too? Seemed pretty standard for the spartan-iis considering we've only seen a handful of them without their helmets.
I'll steal a bit from CF to help elucidate...
Nothing has changed about the CQB variant of the Mjolnir armor system. Samuel is utilizing a developmental helmet permutation that shares visual cues with the eventual CQB. This kind of cross-germination of physical shape and design between all Mjolnir platforms was pervasive in the early development of Mjolnir at the Materials Group facilities.
For the Doylist crowd, there is precedent for helmet architecture being recycled decades later. Fred's armor in Forward Unto Dawn is the Mark IV (B), while John's armor in FUD and "The Package" clearly inspired the Mark VI. The Halo Wars Mark IV helmet served as the basis of Mark V's helmet. Samuel wearing a proto-CQC helmet in 2525 in perfectly reasonable.

Now, Grim, if I may ... Is John's Chi Ceti IV armor the one mentioned in Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide (page 10)? You know, the "earlier version of Mark IV" his upgraded Mark VI is said to resemble? It looks more or less like the Halo Wars Mark IV and his Cortanafied helmet had a baby.
I feel like I'm stepping into a canon war here...but can I just say, that a lot of this stuff is not a bother to someone like me?

Despite being a halo gamer since halo 2, I've never read any of the books until the more recent ones and this Fall of Reach animated series will provide a take on the original book which I find interesting. For us who will be watching this series with NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE of the canon and the book and whatnot, stuff like the art style and the armor variants and the weapons better appeal to me as they are recognisable from the games.

I believe the animated series is mostly targeted at those who didn't read the book/s, in order to better explain chief's back story with blue team :) so yes, retcon's may be there as they will be more visually easier to digest for those coming from the games exclusively.
Wouldn't he have had the eye modifications done too? Seemed pretty standard for the spartan-iis considering we've only seen a handful of them without their helmets.
They made surgical alterations, but their eyesight wasn't enhanced mechanically.
UKK Virus wrote:
I feel like I'm stepping into a canon war here...but can I just say, that a lot of this stuff is not a bother to someone like me?

Despite being a halo gamer since halo 2, I've never read any of the books until the more recent ones and this Fall of Reach animated series will provide a take on the original book which I find interesting. For us who will be watching this series with NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE of the canon and the book and whatnot, stuff like the art style and the armor variants and the weapons better appeal to me as they are recognisable from the games.

I believe the animated series is mostly targeted at those who didn't read the book/s, in order to better explain chief's back story with blue team :) so yes, retcon's may be there as they will be more visually easier to digest for those coming from the games exclusively.
<3
This trailer looked really weird!
I wont watch it probibly.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 7