2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. ...
  8. 7
JJAB91 wrote:
Pause at 1:12 I already see two major errors.

1. Samuel can be seen wearing CQB. The CQB armor variant was not developed until after the Battle of Jericho VII which took place in 2535. Thats 10 years after this scene.

2. Samuel is also seen wielding a Battle Rifle. Not only was the BR we know today not developed yet(Outside of a few prototypes such as the XBR-55, but why would the Spartans have access to that?) but the BR he is holding is the BR-85, a weapon that was not developed until late in the Covenant War almost 30 years later and based on the data from the BR-55 and BR-55HB which didn't even exist yet.

3. We also see later in the trailer a brief flash of Linda in ARGUS-class Mjolnir, which to my knowledge didn't exist yet either.
Fictionally: You realize that lots of tech is prototyped YEARS in advance, right?

Practically: Sometimes you make decisions based on the need to make relateable connections. Every once in a while that might not jive with random scattered details that were "preestablished." It's not remotely egregious enough to not be able to enjoy the whole piece because of it lol. Embrace the details when they line up (which they usually do), and don't fret the ones that don't necessarily do so exactly how you would want it to (as well as assume there is always some sort of reason for why it was done that way).

:-)
The whole "ITS A PROTOTYPE!!!" exuse doesn't really work when you got a weapon model thats meant to be a successor to a weapon that is also still in the prototype stage.

Not to mention how in reality, "Prototype" doesn't mean "fully realized technology that works perfectly and simply won't be widespread until decades later".

Just like how people generally don't like it when you essentially sell them a beta of a game rather than the final product, I'd imagine it's not a good idea to give soldiers in a combat scenario equipment that has no real guarentee of actually working or being reliable.
The xm-25 is a prototype. This is a series spanning like 15 years. Stuff changes to fit with the current model.
The animation looks weird in the trailer.
Does anyone else think John Looks Like An Ugly Little Boy?
UKK Virus wrote:
I feel like I'm stepping into a canon war here...but can I just say, that a lot of this stuff is not a bother to someone like me?

Despite being a halo gamer since halo 2, I've never read any of the books until the more recent ones and this Fall of Reach animated series will provide a take on the original book which I find interesting. For us who will be watching this series with NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE of the canon and the book and whatnot, stuff like the art style and the armor variants and the weapons better appeal to me as they are recognisable from the games.

I believe the animated series is mostly targeted at those who didn't read the book/s, in order to better explain chief's back story with blue team :) so yes, retcon's may be there as they will be more visually easier to digest for those coming from the games exclusively.
I'm just going to leave this here again.

I personally don't find the stuff bugging at all, and have been reading all the books/comics or whatever else is out there, guess I'm not as interested in the weapon/armor details since it can all be changed on a whim in multiplayer anyways. To each his/her own.
Canon explanation: prototype armour/weapons that eventually converge with future developments to form the equipment we are familiar with today.

IRL reason: it's not supposed to be a BR85, the Halo Reach CQB helmet or a post war covenant grunt in the fiction. But for the sake of being similar to what we see in Halo 5, the equipment resembles those.

The anachronism is just the result of similar looking prototypes in the past being paired with artistic freedom. Is that correct?
UKK Virus wrote:
I feel like I'm stepping into a canon war here...but can I just say, that a lot of this stuff is not a bother to someone like me?

Despite being a halo gamer since halo 2, I've never read any of the books until the more recent ones and this Fall of Reach animated series will provide a take on the original book which I find interesting. For us who will be watching this series with NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE of the canon and the book and whatnot, stuff like the art style and the armor variants and the weapons better appeal to me as they are recognisable from the games.

I believe the animated series is mostly targeted at those who didn't read the book/s, in order to better explain chief's back story with blue team :) so yes, retcon's may be there as they will be more visually easier to digest for those coming from the games exclusively.
People who dont read the books still understand the concept of time, right?
This is the origin of the characters seen in Halo 5 where the dates are clearly shown.
People can understand that time has passed and that when time passes stuff starts looking different, right?

Soldier from WWII, Vietnam, and now dont all look the exact same, right?
So this isnt about people that dont read the books, this is about people that dont care about the visual aspects of movie making when it comes to the story. This is about people that just want to see the MC they see in the game in a movie jumping around shooting stuff.
The presence of a Battle Rifle doesn't really bother me when the prototype was used in the Battle of Harvest.
Yes the XBR-55 with a 60 round mag and looks like the Halo 3 BR-55HB, not the BR-85 shown in this trailer.
JJAB91 wrote:

1. Samuel can be seen wearing CQB. The CQB armor variant was not developed until after the Battle of Jericho VII which took place in 2535. Thats 10 years after this scene.

2. Samuel is also seen wielding a Battle Rifle. Not only was the BR we know today not developed yet(Outside of a few prototypes such as the XBR-55, but why would the Spartans have access to that?) but the BR he is holding is the BR-85, a weapon that was not developed until late in the Covenant War almost 30 years later and based on the data from the BR-55 and BR-55HB which didn't even exist yet.

3. We also see later in the trailer a brief flash of Linda in ARGUS-class Mjolnir, which to my knowledge didn't exist yet either.
Fictionally: You realize that lots of tech is prototyped YEARS in advance, right?

Practically: Sometimes you make decisions based on the need to make relateable connections. Every once in a while that might not jive with random scattered details that were "preestablished." It's not remotely egregious enough to not be able to enjoy the whole piece because of it lol. Embrace the details when they line up (which they usually do), and don't fret the ones that don't necessarily do so exactly how you would want it to (as well as assume there is always some sort of reason for why it was done that way).

:-)
The whole "ITS A PROTOTYPE!!!" exuse doesn't really work when you got a weapon model thats meant to be a successor to a weapon that is also still in the prototype stage.

Not to mention how in reality, "Prototype" doesn't mean "fully realized technology that works perfectly and simply won't be widespread until decades later".

Just like how people generally don't like it when you essentially sell them a beta of a game rather than the final product, I'd imagine it's not a good idea to give soldiers in a combat scenario equipment that has no real guarentee of actually working or being reliable.
Agreed and I also feel that pretty much all the Spartan's wore identical armor and only Dr. Halsey was ever able to tell them apart based on their movements. Now yes this might cause confusion in a visual representation but I'm just hardcore about pre established canon.

Spoiler:
Show
I'm a big story fan but these changes in the visuals don't really bother me at all. At the end of the day, as long as this series is true to the meat of the original story, then I couldn't care less whether a couple of potatoes are purple instead of golden. I'm hungry right now in case anyone couldn't tell.
Toa Freak wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:
I'm not seeing why Sam's CQC helmet couldn't just be one phase in the development of the CQC helmet that would be finalized after the Battle of Jericho VII. Daisy-023 had a helmet similar to it in Homecoming.
Sam's helmet appears to be CQB not CQC.

Also Daisy's helmet isn't canon just like the majority of Halo Legends' visual styling.
I stand corrected, CQB. not CQC. Still, I'm not seeing the conflict. As for Daisy's helmet not being canon, exactly where do Legend's visual stylings become non-canon? Things like Han's design as a female Sangheili? Yes. But Daisy's armor? Given that we've been seeing Spartans in different armor variants, why would that instance have to be non-canon? Kelly wears a EVA helmet in Legends, seems to have one here and in Halo 5 and Escalation that is more the same. Frankie said their is interpretation to this kind of thing.
Frankie directly stated in the commentary for that Halo Legends episode Daisy's helmet was a "nod" to multiplayer fans and not canonically set in stone.
Understood. Gotta rewatch that commentary sometime. Still, does that mean Sam could not have been testing an early form of the design? I'm all for keeping the number of retcons down, but I don't think we need to be absolutely bound to the books as they were. If so, then Elites would first be encountered at Reach and Brutes would still have been encountered first at the Raid on the Unyielding Hierophant. We all managed to accept those just fine, so a helmet doesn't bother me too much.
I might be misunderstanding you here, but if we're bound to the books, the first chronological encounter of the brutes would have been Harvest for the whole universe. Unless you were speaking about the first time Chief encountered them...
When Halo: First Strike first came out, Brute were first encountered during the raid on Unyielding Hierophant. That only changed with the release of Contact Harvest. The parallels to this CQB-like helmet are very similar.
Not really, it never directly states in First Strike that brutes had never been encountered before, just the first time the Chief and blue team encounters them. Cortana even identifies them as Brutes. The Brutes were first encountered by humanity at Harvest.
Same goes for the Elites facing the Chief at the station above Reach, his first time encountering them. Grey team first had contact with some Elites in a rebel base called "The Rubble" and then Chief thinks to himself "These must be the Elite soldiers of the Covenant" when he sees an Elite in its EVA harness floating to him on the station above Reach.
Not really, it never directly states in First Strike that brutes had never been encountered before, just the first time the Chief and blue team encounters them. Cortana even identifies them as Brutes.
Halo First Strike
Chapter 33, Page 310

Another Corta voice broke in over the first: "Also be advised, Chief, that there are ceremonial guards in this temple- a race we have not encountered before. Roughly translated from Covenant dialects, they are called 'Brutes.' They shouldn't be a significant threat or they would have been used in previous military situations."
John wasn't so sure of that. The name brute didn't sound promising.

It wasn't just Blue Team who never encountered them before. That's why this line was changed in the Definitive Edition.

Halo First Strike (Definitive Edition)
Chapter 33, Page 372

Another Cortana voice broke in over the first: "Also be advised, Chief, that there are Brutes in this temple. They shouldn't be a significant threat."
John wasn't so sure of that.

The whole "we don't know anything about this species" and the fact she learned their name through translation, as apposed to already knowing who they were, was removed because of new canon.
Not really, it never directly states in First Strike that brutes had never been encountered before, just the first time the Chief and blue team encounters them. Cortana even identifies them as Brutes.
Halo First Strike
Chapter 33, Page 310

Another Corta voice broke in over the first: "Also be advised, Chief, that there are ceremonial guards in this temple- a race we have not encountered before. Roughly translated from Covenant dialects, they are called 'Brutes.' They shouldn't be a significant threat or they would have been used in previous military situations."

It wasn't just Blue Team who never encountered them before. That's why this line was changed in the Definitive Edition.

Chapter 33, Page 372

Another Cortana voice broke in over the first: "Also be advised, Chief, that there are Brutes in this temple. They shouldn't be a significant threat."

The whole "we don't know anything about this species" and the fact she learned their name through translation, as apposed to already knowing who they were, was removed because of new canon.
Alright cool, glad that tid bit was updated but what about Spartan II's using identical armor?
Im interested in what will be in the fall of reach even though i read the book (must read if you haven't already it been out for years).
Despite all of the conflicts in canon, large or small, I still like what I see!
most people I think don't know or don't care. But it can be a bit buggy.
JJAB91 wrote:

Dont forgot how the Grunts are based off of Halo 4 and 5 and not based off of the old Grunts from Reach and CE. The Grunts back then used methane mouth pieces, however in the Fall of Reach movie, 343 decided to put the Halo 4 and 5 grunts. I find this very annoying for this isn't canon. And I can bet 20 f*cking bucks that the elites are going to be based off of Halo 4 and 5 elites as well and not the traditional Halo Reach elites.
Gaunt1et 5 wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:

Dont forgot how the Grunts are based off of Halo 4 and 5 and not based off of the old Grunts from Reach and CE. The Grunts back then used methane mouth pieces, however in the Fall of Reach movie, 343 decided to put the Halo 4 and 5 grunts. I find this very annoying for this isn't canon. And I can bet 20 f*cking bucks that the elites are going to be based off of Halo 4 and 5 elites as well and not the traditional Halo Reach elites.
I'll preview it online, probably on YouTube, and if this is in fact the case then I will not be buying the fall of Reach movie thing. Sorry, the only reason I would buy this is if I appreciate the work done and I can't appreciate it if they don't use what makes sense in the timeline. If they "take artistic license" with this one I am considering it a would not buy. Doubly so if they don't at least keep the dialogue and plot accurate to the book. At least I'll always have my 2001 Halo The Fall of Reach original print with me.
Halo First Strike
Chapter 33, Page 310

Chapter 33, Page 372

Alright cool, glad that tid bit was updated but what about Spartan II's using identical armor?
Remember how all S-III's had SPI armor before Reach, think that for these Spartans.
UKK Virus wrote:

People who dont read the books still understand the concept of time, right?
This is the origin of the characters seen in Halo 5 where the dates are clearly shown.
People can understand that time has passed and that when time passes stuff starts looking different, right?

Soldier from WWII, Vietnam, and now dont all look the exact same, right?
So this isnt about people that dont read the books, this is about people that dont care about the visual aspects of movie making when it comes to the story. This is about people that just want to see the MC they see in the game in a movie jumping around shooting stuff.
True, #don'tcaresueme
Gaunt1et 5 wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:

I'll preview it online, probably on YouTube, and if this is in fact the case then I will not be buying the fall of Reach movie thing. Sorry, the only reason I would buy this is if I appreciate the work done and I can't appreciate it if they don't use what makes sense in the timeline. If they "take artistic license" with this one I am considering it a would not buy. Doubly so if they don't at least keep the dialogue and plot accurate to the book. At least I'll always have my 2001 Halo The Fall of Reach original print with me.
I completely understand what you mean. It's little things like that that really disappoints me. I mean I understand they are referencing to Halo 5, but come on, you can't just change history to make references to a future game, especially if your making changes to the past. It just kills the lore.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. ...
  8. 7