OP JJAB91

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. ...
  7. 7
I haven't seen it, lol, I just like reading forums/comments and badges, but thanks for the information
JJAB91 wrote:
Pause at 1:12 I already see two major errors.

1. Samuel can be seen wearing CQB. The CQB armor variant was not developed until after the Battle of Jericho VII which took place in 2535. Thats 10 years after this scene.

2. Samuel is also seen wielding a Battle Rifle. Not only was the BR we know today not developed yet(Outside of a few prototypes such as the XBR-55, but why would the Spartans have access to that?) but the BR he is holding is the BR-85, a weapon that was not developed until late in the Covenant War almost 30 years later and based on the data from the BR-55 and BR-55HB which didn't even exist yet.

3. We also see later in the trailer a brief flash of Linda in ARGUS-class Mjolnir, which to my knowledge didn't exist yet either.
Well if I were to take a guess here.

1. Prototypes or previous iterations that went by a different name.
2. Artistic retcon. They probably just like how the newer BR looks and feels like it would better fit the style of the series. Same goes for other things like the Storm grunts. Some ultimately not-so-consequential artistic changes that they felt would make everything look better.

I'm just glad they went with a Mark IV design that looks like the Mark V and not the Mark VI. Having a pseudo-Mark VI be the Mark IV in FUD and Halo Legends felt wrong to me because it made the Mark V look like the oddball of the base-variant family. It was said that Mark IV and V will both be in H5 as wearable armor. So I assume this will be an accurate portrayal of what we'll get from Mark IV. But I wonder what they'll do for Mark V? More of a throw-back style like they did in H4? Or something along the lines of the Mark IV or Reach's Mark V where they gave it a more "updated" look?
JJAB91 wrote:
Pause at 1:12 I already see two major errors.

1. Samuel can be seen wearing CQB. The CQB armor variant was not developed until after the Battle of Jericho VII which took place in 2535. Thats 10 years after this scene.

2. Samuel is also seen wielding a Battle Rifle. Not only was the BR we know today not developed yet(Outside of a few prototypes such as the XBR-55, but why would the Spartans have access to that?) but the BR he is holding is the BR-85, a weapon that was not developed until late in the Covenant War almost 30 years later and based on the data from the BR-55 and BR-55HB which didn't even exist yet.

3. We also see later in the trailer a brief flash of Linda in ARGUS-class Mjolnir, which to my knowledge didn't exist yet either.
Fictionally: You realize that lots of tech is prototyped YEARS in advance, right?

Practically: Sometimes you make decisions based on the need to make relateable connections. Every once in a while that might not jive with random scattered details that were "preestablished." It's not remotely egregious enough to not be able to enjoy the whole piece because of it lol. Embrace the details when they line up (which they usually do), and don't fret the ones that don't necessarily do so exactly how you would want it to (as well as assume there is always some sort of reason for why it was done that way).

:-)
The whole "ITS A PROTOTYPE!!!" exuse doesn't really work when you got a weapon model thats meant to be a successor to a weapon that is also still in the prototype stage.

Not to mention how in reality, "Prototype" doesn't mean "fully realized technology that works perfectly and simply won't be widespread until decades later".

Just like how people generally don't like it when you essentially sell them a beta of a game rather than the final product, I'd imagine it's not a good idea to give soldiers in a combat scenario equipment that has no real guarentee of actually working or being reliable.
I agree with AlphaBenson in the fact that prototypes only go so far. Can you then explain the M45D shotgun that Kelly-087 was wielding? It's impossible for her to be wielding that shotgun. Based on Halo wikia, the M45D (the shotgun from Halo 4 and 5 for those who don't know) is an upgraded version of the M45 Tactical Shotgun and the M90 Shotgun. Now you're probably wondering where I'm getting at this. Well Halo wikia strictly says that the M90 shotgun has been in service for 27 years. We are currently on 2558 therefore I can assume that the M90 shotgun came into service on 2531? Samuel's death was on 2525. So if the M90 hasn't even entered service yet on 2525, how is it even possible to have a "PROTOTYPE" of a shotgun that hasn't entered service yet? This definitely needs to be explained.
Alright cool, glad that tid bit was updated but what about Spartan II's using identical armor?
It's been a while since I sat down and re-read all the books, but I can't remember a scene where it says they looked identicle. Although I know at times they were often depicted as looking identicle so it's easy to assume they were. The only line I can think of that comes close is from First Strike.

Halo First Strike
Chapter 13, Page 121

She knew this annoyed them all - how she was always able to tell who they were despite the MJOLNIR armor. She had grown up with them, knew their every gesture and their individual walks.

This line remains the same in the Definitive Edition, (Chapter 13, Page 149), although it doesn't say they look exactly alike. It only says that she can identify them through their armor because of their manerisms. Indeed, she would later be able to identify Kurt-051 even though he was wearing SPI armor. As I said though it's been a while since I've read the books fully so there may be a line I'm forgetting that specifically says they looked identicle.
Well if I were to take a guess here.

1. Prototypes or previous iterations that went by a different name.
2. Artistic retcon. They probably just like how the newer BR looks and feels like it would better fit the style of the series. Same goes for other things like the Storm grunts. Some ultimately not-so-consequential artistic changes that they felt would make everything look better.

I'm just glad they went with a Mark IV design that looks like the Mark V and not the Mark VI. Having a pseudo-Mark VI be the Mark IV in FUD and Halo Legends felt wrong to me because it made the Mark V look like the oddball of the base-variant family. It was said that Mark IV and V will both be in H5 as wearable armor. So I assume this will be an accurate portrayal of what we'll get from Mark IV. But I wonder what they'll do for Mark V? More of a throw-back style like they did in H4? Or something along the lines of the Mark IV or Reach's Mark V where they gave it a more "updated" look?
They will most likely make it a throw back style from Comabt Evolved because the Mark V armor from Reach has already been released as Noble in Halo 5. Obviously with the Commando Helmet instead.
I just can't wait for this! I pretty much suck at reading books :D So this is kinda good news :)
Hense. More evidence the original Trilogy of books needs to be completely rewritten
Halo ODST had ODST's in near identical armors. Was someone confused? Halo wars' spartans are in identical armors though they didn't really have personalities. Just give us some visual cues like secondary colors and minor customization.
All I can think of is the Poochie episode of The Simpsons with all of the nerds at the Itchy & Scratchy convention. If only Homer was here...

Honestly, it's not very hard to explain CQB and the BR being there, yet there is little point in informing you of this as you obviously want there to be errors and retcons. After all, how else are you going to gain self-satisfaction and worth without the ability to point out the most insignificant and arbitrary of things?
juhoxxx wrote:
Halo ODST had ODST's in near identical armors. Was someone confused? Halo wars' spartans are in identical armors though they didn't really have personalities. Just give us some visual cues like secondary colors and minor customization.
Alpha Nine's armor hardly looked identical. Each character had a unique color and attachments. The only characters who looked somewhat similar were the rookie and Buck, which even then, one didn't have a backpack and the other did.

A better example would be Red team from Halo wars as they actually did wear identical armor. However, it was pretty hard to determine who was who, especially the first time around. The Reach comic also had a similar problem at times.

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what the issue is here. If you don't like Grim's explanation (which makes perfect sense, even though I agree they should have used something different) then just say it's an artistic liberty. Seriously, an armor and weapon appearing in a different time is no where near as bad as encountering Brutes for the first time in the original First Strike and then finding out they first appeared on Harvest in Contact Harvest.
Skeleborn wrote:
I guess I just don't see why anyone would deliberately choose to use out-of-place armor or weapons when there's the option to just use assets appropriate to the time period. I don't think it would adversely impact anyone's enjoyment of the show if Sam had been wearing a CQC helmet or brandishing a BR55. The opposite, meanwhile, does bother a small but non-insignificant number of passionate lore fans. So why not just get it right and satisfy everyone?
Not to mention, wont it confuse the casuls when they see a character with a helmet they cant actually use in Halo 5?
Do you really think the casual viewer is even going to care about said helmet?
Exactly, casuals aren't even going to take the time to see if the helmet in the movie is even in the game.
Not really, it never directly states in First Strike that brutes had never been encountered before, just the first time the Chief and blue team encounters them. Cortana even identifies them as Brutes.
Halo First Strike
Chapter 33, Page 310

Another Corta voice broke in over the first: "Also be advised, Chief, that there are ceremonial guards in this temple- a race we have not encountered before. Roughly translated from Covenant dialects, they are called 'Brutes.' They shouldn't be a significant threat or they would have been used in previous military situations."
John wasn't so sure of that. The name brute didn't sound promising.

It wasn't just Blue Team who never encountered them before. That's why this line was changed in the Definitive Edition.

Halo First Strike (Definitive Edition)
Chapter 33, Page 372

Another Cortana voice broke in over the first: "Also be advised, Chief, that there are Brutes in this temple. They shouldn't be a significant threat."
John wasn't so sure of that.

The whole "we don't know anything about this species" and the fact she learned their name through translation, as apposed to already knowing who they were, was removed because of new canon.
Wow, I didn't know they changed the book....loved that book. :(
All I can think of is the Poochie episode of The Simpsons with all of the nerds at the Itchy & Scratchy convention. If only Homer was here...

Honestly, it's not very hard to explain CQB and the BR being there, yet there is little point in informing you of this as you obviously want there to be errors and retcons. After all, how else are you going to gain self-satisfaction and worth without the ability to point out the most insignificant and arbitrary of things?
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.
JJAB91 wrote:
I'll steal a bit from CF to help elucidate...

Nothing has changed about the CQB variant of the Mjolnir armor system. Samuel is utilizing a developmental helmet permutation that shares visual cues with the eventual CQB. This kind of cross-germination of physical shape and design between all Mjolnir platforms was pervasive in the early development of Mjolnir at the Materials Group facilities.
So when the actual CQB helmet was being developed in 2535 it took visual cues from this helmet we see in the trailer? Fair enough, although that does raise questions as to why the Spartans would be given such developmental technology during a life or death mission where they literally didn't know what they were going into.

What of the BR then?
That first fight with the covenant was fought using armor they had never worn before.
Even if they made The Fall of Reach accurate as it suppose to be, I don't think it would have changed much in the eyes of the viewer. Because if u have the BR 55, people would clearly know what it is only because it was in the Master Chief Collection. You can't give the excuse that the "new fans" won't know. And then give a bs excuse of why its there later. I no longer believe this as Canon and I'll just stick to the comics because that's the only accurate visual representation that I have.
Serious question. Where do you people get your facts from? Are they from halopedia, halowiki etc. or from the comics? I'd love to have a read of the different types and styles of weapons.
Laxalt wrote:
Serious question. Where do you people get your facts from? Are they from halopedia, halowiki etc. or from the comics? I'd love to have a read of the different types and styles of weapons.
I would suggest Halopedia, we work pretty hard to be accurate there.
Laxalt wrote:
I would suggest Halopedia, we work pretty hard to be accurate there.
I'll have a look now, thanks!
Looks interesting, hopefully 343 uses this to clear up some of the issue's with regrades to the number of S-II's.
thr33E3 wrote:
The Elites and Grunts with the H4 design shouldn't be there either.
They weren't a part of the Covenant at this time.
The Elites have been in the Covenant since the beginning, and Grunts have been around since 2142. That practically includes all subtypes/phenotypes/ethnic groups. The Halo 4 Elites and Grunts didn't just join the Covenant after the war. Rather, they fought in the war but were found by Jul on Hesduros after they isolated from the Covenant. Jul took advantage of them not knowing the war had finished and used them as the basis of his army.

Halo 4 designs have been seen in the Human-Covenant war. Take the Ibie'shan Jackals in 2551 during Halo: Escalation, for instance.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. ...
  7. 7