Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Accuracy to Reality

OP BoundlessHalo97

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo is a military science fiction franchise, but it's been critiqued in the past over its surface-level understanding of real-world militaries.

If you, the reader, are in the military, how accurately would you say that the Halo universe depicts the experience of your country's military?
Seeing as I'm in the Army and not the Navy, I don't have a 100% transfer/understanding of that branch's culture. And yes, individual branches of the military do have different cultures. Since the majority of Halo runs with the naval branch and a few moments of the other branches in canon being mentioned I still think it does a pretty good job for a "sci-fi" shooter on getting parts right. It does a good job at hitting most of the broad topics/ideas for war in general: Valor, honor, discipline, morale, integrity, tragedy, loss and so on.

Halo also does a great job at getting regular customs and courtesies, most of the time, again that depends on branch though and nation/country. Ranks and simple battle drills all show in different ways. I think an interesting part is how well they delve into creating weapon systems with decent Nomenclature, S/Ns, and the like for logistical and identification needs. All the small things go far in building a more believable world they're creating. I have tons more on this, hopefully can edit/add later.
In the games it’s there but it’s extremely present throughout the books
Overall, the games and books do a very decent job of depicting military culture, bearing, and discipline. The UNSC is a amalgamation of all of Earth’s major militaries so certain traditions and qwerks won’t translate for some. Kind of like British/Commonwealth Army marching commands versus American Army marching commands.
I'm an Army vet as well so its hard for me to decipher the Naval aspects as BallistickKyote mentioned, but overall I think it's a decent portrayal.

Another commentator mentioned this being an amalgam of world military, accentuated in game through various accents. Simple humorous banter in the midst of a field environment is something I'll wait around an NPC for in the Halo series.

I will say its done well enough that fighting alongside NPC military comprises my favorite missions in the series.

I could elaborate more as well, but I'll keep this short.

Cheers,
Brad
What a great topic. Something I hadn’t ever thought of really. Definitely following this topic as I appreciate the replies and look forward to more.

To those providing their perspective, thank you for the information and thank you for your service!
JB Linken wrote:
What a great topic. Something I hadn’t ever thought of really. Definitely following this topic as I appreciate the replies and look forward to more.

To those providing their perspective, thank you for the information and thank you for your service!
I was 19, stationed in Germany, at the post movie theater with buddies watching Aliens for the first time. As with Halo, the portrayal of the military seemed spot on as future sci-fi goes, then Hudson exclaimed he was short. The entire theater burst out at that accurate slang.

Avatar on the other hand made the military into a high tech bully which I didn't care for.

But, I don't want to steer too off base here, but I certainly gravitated to Halo because of the military centric focus. Until marines showed up in white battle dress, that one still has me scratching my head.

Cheers,
Brad
JB Linken wrote:

I was 19, stationed in Germany, at the post movie theater with buddies watching Aliens for the first time. As with Halo, the portrayal of the military seemed spot on as future sci-fi goes, then Hudson exclaimed he was short. The entire theater burst out at that accurate slang.

Avatar on the other hand made the military into a high tech bully which I didn't care for.

But, I don't want to steer too off base here, but I certainly gravitated to Halo because of the military centric focus. Until marines showed up in white battle dress, that one still has me scratching my head.

Cheers,
Brad
Is the white battle dress found somewhere else in the armed forces? Or was that made up for Halo?
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

Cheers,
Brad
Is the white battle dress found somewhere else in the armed forces? Or was that made up for Halo?
It's my understanding that it's strictly a Navy thing.
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

Cheers,
Brad
In that case I think it fits, as the military shown in Halo is primarily the Navy. Unless I am mistaken.
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

Cheers,
Brad
In that case I think it fits, as the military shown in Halo is primarily the Navy. Unless I am mistaken.
Johnson has been shown wearing it before and he wasn't in the Navy.
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

Cheers,
Brad
He's not? I'm pretty sure he is a marine. Wouldn't that make him apart of the Navy?
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

Cheers,
Brad
He's not? I'm pretty sure he is a marine. Wouldn't that make him apart of the Navy?
No. The Navy, in the Halo universe, are the ones patrolling space in battleships.
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

Cheers,
Brad
No. The Navy, in the Halo universe, are the ones patrolling space in battleships.
I see. What are marines apart of in the Halo universe then? I've always assumed they were apart of the Navy in game just as in real life.
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

Cheers,
Brad
I see. What are marines apart of in the Halo universe then? I've always assumed they were apart of the Navy in game just as in real life.
Just ground troops, really. They're deployed wherever they're needed.
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

Cheers,
Brad
TIL! Reading their Halopedia page now:

Quote:
While structured under the Unified Ground Command, the UNSC Marine Corps operates closely with the UNSC Naval Command and has some authority within the office.
I also see the UNSC page here on Waypoint lists the 5 branches of the UNSC Armed Forces and yes, the Marine Corps is separate from the Navy. There's always more things to learn about Halo. :)
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

Cheers,
Brad
In 21st century America, technically the Marine Corps falls under the Department of the Navy, but it is also considered an entirely separate branch. They have different uniforms and a different rank structure (for example, the Marines have generals while the Navy has admirals). The Halo universe also has some major distinctions between the Navy and Marines, but they appear to have a similar relationship as is observed in 21st century America and are closely related.
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

Cheers,
Brad

Quote:
While structured under the Unified Ground Command, the UNSC Marine Corps operates closely with the UNSC Naval Command and has some authority within the office.
I also see the UNSC page here on Waypoint lists the 5 branches of the UNSC Armed Forces and yes, the Marine Corps is separate from the Navy. There's always more things to learn about Halo. :)
That's not just Halo. Don't tell a modern day marine that he or she is part of the Navy, you are likely to be introduced to how hard the ground is.

A little clarification on my statement regarding a white battle dress uniform or BDU. The are BDUs which are considered the combat uniform then you have the dress uniform aka the three piece suit. Again, I'm not schooled on the US Navy, but I've seen both white and a light blue version of their BDU, I don't know the reason for the difference. Army and Marines wear the standard camo fatigues.

What I was addressing were, what I assumed to be Marines, is best seen in the epilogue cutscenes in Halo 4, disembarking the Pelican in New Phoenix. They wore a white helmet, chest plate and additional armor. I could be wrong, they might be a nod to the traditional white of the modern sailor in which points to 343.

A note to Johnson wearing dress whites, I would call foul on that. The modern marine dress uniform is two tone blue with red piping. I forget which is which, but the color of the pants represents the Pacific Ocean, the jacket the Atlantic (or vice versa).

Again, we are comparing today's military to a modern perspective of what a military will look like in 500 years, so I don't get too critical, but this is a good discussion.
Cheers,
Brad
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

Cheers,
Brad

Quote:
That's not just Halo. Don't tell a modern day marine that he or she is part of the Navy, you are likely to be introduced to how hard the ground is.

A little clarification on my statement regarding a white battle dress uniform or BDU. The are BDUs which are considered the combat uniform then you have the dress uniform aka the three piece suit. Again, I'm not schooled on the US Navy, but I've seen both white and a light blue version of their BDU, I don't know the reason for the difference. Army and Marines wear the standard camo fatigues.

What I was addressing were, what I assumed to be Marines, is best seen in the epilogue cutscenes in Halo 4, disembarking the Pelican in New Phoenix. They wore a white helmet, chest plate and additional armor. I could be wrong, they might be a nod to the traditional white of the modern sailor in which points to 343.

A note to Johnson wearing dress whites, I would call foul on that. The modern marine dress uniform is two tone blue with red piping. I forget which is which, but the color of the pants represents the Pacific Ocean, the jacket the Atlantic (or vice versa).

Again, we are comparing today's military to a modern perspective of what a military will look like in 500 years, so I don't get too critical, but this is a good discussion.
Cheers,
Brad
Agreed! I am enjoying the discussion. I have some reading to do as I’ve been mistaken about a few things, so I do appreciate the information as well.
Always good to hear from those who served. Thank you :-)

I wanted to add a comment about CE and Halo 2. I recall one part of the Halo 2 documentary or a separate but related video discussing how Bungie apparently got flak from military members who said Bungie didn’t portray them accurately in certain cutscenes and gameplay situations. Bungie then seeked advice from retired military to amend that for Halo 2. Thought it was cool how they did that.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2