Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Ancient Human Vessels

OP TheDarkSpartan

Since the days of Halo CE, we have given proof and many examples of Forerunner Technology. What about the Ancient Humans technology though?
I have read almost of the Halo Cannon I can and yet very little is said about what happened to Ancient Humanity's technology. We know that the Forerunners defeated the Ancient Humans and devolved the entire Human Race as punishment for what happened. We don't know what happened to the vast amount of technology though. I find it hard to believe that all of the technology was destroyed by the Forerunner in spite. Surely there is some cache somewhere that was stored that hasn't been found. Maybe just maybe that will be the Universe's salvation from the Created and Cortana. One can only hope that this topic is somehow touched upon even if only in the books.
What's your constructive thoughts on this topic?
I knew about Halo from watching my sister play but it was only a very casual understanding of what happened in the story. Before I got the chance to actually play through the series with the Master Chief collection I thought that ancient human technology was a bigger factor to the story.

Like, I originally thought that the flood (water) and Noah's ark were references to the alien flood and the ark was the ship we used to escape the flood and then crash landed on Earth. But that happened so long ago that we forgot and it eventually became a story about Noah building an ark to protect life from a giant watery flood and it ended up in the Bible.

Also, I thought that humans were Forerunners, and that Covenant technology was based on Forerunner technology. That was why, even though we didn't know very much about Covenant technology and almost nothing of Forerunner technology, we could still manipulate doors and control panels and shut down shields etc. I figured it was the technology responding to us because we were the original creators of the technology. Like maybe it recognized our DNA pattern or something.

I figured that was why Guilty Spark called the Covenant meddlers but John the Reclaimer. Not because John was special or anything but because Guilty Spark remembered serving humans and he thought that humans had finally come back to "reclaim" their technology.
I knew about Halo from watching my sister play but it was only a very casual understanding of what happened in the story. Before I got the chance to actually play through the series with the Master Chief collection I thought that ancient human technology was a bigger factor to the story.

Like, I originally thought that the flood (water) and Noah's ark were references to the alien flood and the ark was the ship we used to escape the flood and then crash landed on Earth. But that happened so long ago that we forgot and it eventually became a story about Noah building an ark to protect life from a giant watery flood and it ended up in the Bible.

Also, I thought that humans were Forerunners, and that Covenant technology was based on Forerunner technology. That was why, even though we didn't know very much about Covenant technology and almost nothing of Forerunner technology, we could still manipulate doors and control panels and shut down shields etc. I figured it was the technology responding to us because we were the original creators of the technology. Like maybe it recognized our DNA pattern or something.

I figured that was why Guilty Spark called the Covenant meddlers but John the Reclaimer. Not because John was special or anything but because Guilty Spark remembered serving humans and he thought that humans had finally come back to "reclaim" their technology.
I too thought all that. I read alot of the books if not all of them and played all the games. Once you do that you realize that Humanity was just one of many ancient species. I hope the next game shows us some ancient humanity tech or something that can help save the universe.
If im not mistaken the forerunners took most of the ancient human technology
Or maybe even a twist thrown in there with ancient San'Shyuum tech? Since they and ancient Humanity were close allies until the San'Shyuum betrayal.

But I doubt that there will be ancient human tech intact.
The Human - Forerunner war happened a long time before the Forerunner- Flood war kicked up full swing, so I'm sure that the Forerunners would have committed themselves to removing traces of Human influence from the galaxy. Maybe they even did that as they went during the war?

Don't cite me on that though, I'd love to see a derelict ancient human ship pop up.
LoxtonA01 wrote:
Or maybe even a twist thrown in there with ancient San'Shyuum tech? Since they and ancient Humanity were close allies until the San'Shyuum betrayal.

The Human - Forerunner war happened a long time before the Forerunner- Flood war kicked up full swing, so I'm sure that the Forerunners would have committed themselves to removing traces of Human influence from the galaxy. Maybe they even did that as they went during the war?

Don't cite me on that though, I'd love to see a derelict ancient human ship pop up.
It's already canon that at least some ancient human tech survived. MJOLNIR HELLCAT armor is reverse engineered from ancient human armor recovered from a derelict.

You thought right, all of your points were the original intent and story line. Slowly that changed to prolong the story. Humans were forerunners until after (maybe during) halo 3.
TheeOch08 wrote:

You thought right, all of your points were the original intent and story line. Slowly that changed to prolong the story. Humans were forerunners until after (maybe during) halo 3.
Id say after, one of Spark's last lines is "you ARE Forerunner" or something along those lines.
And then along came the changes of the Forerunner saga.
Of course, Spark was rampant at that point so
The UNSC and ONI have found some ancient human technology and ruins. The Forerunners wiped out nearly all traces of ancient humanity's civilization but missed some things and the some of it was taken and studied by the Forerunners for use in their research of the Flood (not to mention it's a good idea to study your enemies technology for knowledge and other uses aswell. The planet Heian contains relatively intact ancient human ruins in the Babysitter. The Spartan HELLCAT armor was made using knowledge gained from an ancient human ruined city and from materials found in an ancient human starship on an unknown planet which had at least one vault containing an ancient human armor system. And another ancient human vessel was found on another planet and it's hull composition and weapon systems were or are being studied by ONI or REAP-X to ascertain how they work and their tactical uses etc.

So yeah they have found ancient tech and ruins but there's not much left of it as far as we know. It likely won't play a major role in the series going forward or at least not in the Reclaimer Saga which heavily focuses on Forerunner lore and technology.
LoxtonA01 wrote:

It's already canon that at least some ancient human tech survived. MJOLNIR HELLCAT armor is reverse engineered from ancient human armor recovered from a derelict.
Do you know which book or where that's at so I can read it too by chance?
The UNSC and ONI have found some ancient human technology and ruins. The Forerunners wiped out nearly all traces of ancient humanity's civilization but missed some things and the some of it was taken and studied by the Forerunners for use in their research of the Flood (not to mention it's a good idea to study your enemies technology for knowledge and other uses aswell. The planet Heian contains relatively intact ancient human ruins in the Babysitter. The Spartan HELLCAT armor was made using knowledge gained from an ancient human ruined city and from materials found in an ancient human starship on an unknown planet which had at least one vault containing an ancient human armor system. And another ancient human vessel was found on another planet and it's hull composition and weapon systems were or are being studied by ONI or REAP-X to ascertain how they work and their tactical uses etc.

So yeah they have found ancient tech and ruins but there's not much left of it as far as we know. It likely won't play a major role in the series going forward or at least not in the Reclaimer Saga which heavily focuses on Forerunner lore and technology.
where did you find this? I would like to read up more on the subject. Thank you

where did you find this? I would like to read up more on the subject. Thank you
https://www.halopedia.org/Ancient_humanity#Rediscovery

For much of humanity's history prior to the mid-26th century, virtually all artifacts and records of their former civilization had been lost to time. However, in the mid 2550s, after the Human-Covenant War had ended, small but significant discoveries began to trickle in about humanity's powerful past. On Heian, ruins were found resembling a wide variety of human styles, including Greco-Roman, Middle Eastern, and East Asian, with subtle Forerunner themes. The Department of Xenoarchaeological Studies at the University of Edinburgh found the obvious elements of human architecture in the structures puzzling, wondering if their builders borrowed from human architecture or the other way around.[28]The Office of Naval Intelligence discovered one derelict ancient human vessel at Site Yankee-002-G3. The Xeno-Materials Exploitation Group examined the artifact and assessed its tactical capabilities. Their report recommended that further analysis of the ship should be immediately assigned to Project: ARC DREAM and noted that investigation of its weaponry was already underway by a team on AZURE MOON.[5]At some point, the UNSC would discover some ancient human ruins with knowledge on a dead world, and a shattered starship with a vault full of unknown materials; using technology gathered from both discoveries, the UNSC would create the HELLCAT-class Mjolnir.[32]
TBH ive never thought about it, but its a good question.
TheeOch08 wrote:

Id say after, one of Spark's last lines is "you ARE Forerunner" or something along those lines.
I 100% agree, but the forerunner terminals from didact and librarian somewhat (and confusingly) contradict what CE through halo 3 had built up. Someone probably thought it would be cool to fight a forerunner and was like hmm how could we make them not the same... rampancy! The forerunner saga, while well written i suppose, changed what i hoped halo was going towards. My theory is that since this is a human-centric universe, now we can say we are better than the forerunners, rather than just the descendants of a race that failed the mantle. I would have preferred the latter because then redemption could have been a cool theme.
TheeOch08 wrote:
TheeOch08 wrote:

I 100% agree, but the forerunner terminals from didact and librarian somewhat (and confusingly) contradict what CE through halo 3 had built up. Someone probably thought it would be cool to fight a forerunner and was like hmm how could we make them not the same... rampancy! The forerunner saga, while well written i suppose, changed what i hoped halo was going towards. My theory is that since this is a human-centric universe, now we can say we are better than the forerunners, rather than just the descendants of a race that failed the mantle. I would have preferred the latter because then redemption could have been a cool theme.
I think their redemption was the firing of the Halos to clean the Flood out and leave the path for us. Or...something like that. Im not really sure, and Im not sure even the Forerunners themselves are...
TheeOch08 wrote:
TheeOch08 wrote:

I think their redemption was the firing of the Halos to clean the Flood out and leave the path for us. Or...something like that. Im not really sure, and Im not sure even the Forerunners themselves are...
That is true, i guess i meant more like successfully upholding the mantle. Idk I guess I just always had a hard time buying that the one race they didnt save or at least catalog was themselves. I realize didact survived and maybe more on Bastion from the halo 5 logs, but idk it feels like they should be very prevalent and more numerous in the current state of the galaxy, which would fit with us as the descendants.

I forgot to mention, the ark was not the ship we brought to earth in reference to Noah's ark, the ark in halo 3 was supposed to be the ark of the covenant. which makes sense because it is the (halo universe) covenant that is seeking the ark... so literally the ark of the covenant. In real life it is supposed to be the vessel that holds the power of god, in this universe god(s) equal the forerunners. So the ark holds the forerunners greatest tech, the key to fire all the halos. the ark was on earth, not just a portal, and would have acted like a shield world so humanity would have been safe and survived the firing of the halos.
TheeOch08 wrote:
TheeOch08 wrote:
TheeOch08 wrote:

That is true, i guess i meant more like successfully upholding the mantle. Idk I guess I just always had a hard time buying that the one race they didnt save or at least catalog was themselves. I realize didact survived and maybe more on Bastion from the halo 5 logs, but idk it feels like they should be very prevalent and more numerous in the current state of the galaxy, which would fit with us as the descendants.
In the Forerunner Saga, they stated that the time of the Forerunners was over since they did fail the Mantle. This is why they did not catalog themselves (its been a while since i read the saga, correct me if i am wrong)
TheeOch08 wrote:
TheeOch08 wrote:
TheeOch08 wrote:

In the Forerunner Saga, they stated that the time of the Forerunners was over since they did fail the Mantle. This is why they did not catalog themselves (its been a while since i read the saga, correct me if i am wrong)
No you are right from what i remember. but the forerunner saga was written after Halo CE, which is like my bible to be honest haha. any storyline can be changed after the fact to make it fit a need. you would never doom your descendants just because you "failed" aka got attacked by the flood and had to hit the reset button on the galaxy.