Any opinions on Grunts?

OP EVoro77

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
You can state facts like what they eat or are they just useless, etc.
I like grunts, fun to encounter. Good cannon fodder. But suicide grunts? I hate those.
Hard to respect a species that bows down to whoever beats them up hardest. They throw a rebellion here and there, but ultimately remain bottom feeders, too afraid to be free. I always felt somewhat bad about killing Elites in CE and H2, for example. Not to say I would hesitate to do so since they were genocidal aliens set on eradicating humanity. But, I had respect for them and there was always this thought of, "What if you guys would realize you are being brainwashed and join forces with humans?? We could be the strongest allied force ever!" So yeah, Grunts are pretty useless and just get in the way, which means they are serving their purpose well.

Sticking purely to gameplay, though, they are fun enemies to fight, just like all the other Covenant enemies.
Grunt birthday partyyy!!!
Grunts are funny, cute, and misunderstood. I would love to fight with Grunts as Chief
I don’t like grunts weird dinosaur design in Halo 4 and 5.
I like grunts, fun to encounter. Good cannon fodder. But suicide grunts? I hate those.
Don’t forget about the Fuel Rod Grunts.
This made me laugh. The suicide grunts really get on my nerves, especially when I think it's alright to push up and they're holding two sticky-nades primed.
Funny little characters to encounter on the battlefield and with the addition of the Grunt Mech, they should be feared slightly more than before.
They smell really really bad.
Seeing as how they nearly toppled the Covenant from the inside-out on a couple occasions, i’d say the little guys have alot of potential. I think if they were able to forge a semi-decent reputation with Humans alot of good could come of it. Really, the only reason they fought for the covenant (generally speaking) is because their species’ survival depended on it. They’re really fun to shoot at but I won’t lie, I do enjoy their witty banter and comic relief.
Grunts are like they Joker of Batman, funny and crazy but suicidal nut jobs at the same time.
The Unggoy have to be one of the most underrated poor species in the entire Halo Universe! Those poor little guys are always getting pushed around by everything. It’s also incredibly sad if you know their history too. Nevertheless I love shooting a grunt in the face with the birthday party skull on and they have got to be one of the funniest things to listen to! I also love their constant need and talk of “food nipple”.
Grunts are really fun characters. If you read the Flood. There is a funny scene in which Yap-Yap has his buddies carry an injured elite just for the excuse that they don't have to fight. As long as they have funny lines when you attack them in Halo Infinite, I'm fully down for them always.
Nothing passes the time quite like pummelling a platoon of sleeping grunts to a pulp.
My opinions on the Grunts is that they're underrated, under-valued and underestimated. They're more or less humans in alien form, a basic human if given no training or education other than 'point this end of the gun at the enemy' and 'do what this armor color Grunt and any Elites or Brutes say' would be the same as any Grunt we see depicted in the games and books.

They're smart, logical and being capable of complex thought and reasoning. As mentioned above, they caused enough of a disruption to require an Arbiter to put down the Grunt Rebellion. They were put in charge or intercepting transmissions from the UNSC because of this high level of intelligence and ability to learn our language easily, far more than the Elites or Prophets were. A single Grunt can make a incredible difference in operations if used in a role beyond just mass cannon fodder. Dadab almost killed Tartarus at Harvest, Yayap managed to get out of battle by carrying and then blackmailing an spec-ops Elite into doing what he wanted, and later had the foresight to simply escape from the battle (not that it did him any good when the Pillar of Autumn blew up the ring).

Not to mention the fact that I have, personally, been killed by Grunts that somehow know when and where to throw a grenade and stick me. So, yeah.
Enjoyable cannon fodder to litter the battlefield and give a more poignant atmosphere of carnage and intensity. As characters with personalities? Some can be empathised with like the aforementioned Yayap, Dadab from Contact Harvest, and Gudam from Legacy of Onyx. They can also be ferocious and eerie at times like when they suicidally charge you or when you read about the accounts of them literally devouring survivors of devastated human colonies alongside Kig-Yar like it's a vacation or recreational activity.

But yeah, Unggoy as a whole seem to be a fair-weather inclined species interested in their own well-being primarily. At a first glance that doesn't seem so unreasonable but when you compare the Sangheili's staunch resistance to the Created with the Unggoy people accepting Cortana's authority they come across more as opportunistic than loyal. Of course it's also theorised that they will eventually turn against the Created once they've acquired what they needed so who knows.

Stolt is probably one of the most awesome of the Unggoy. Not many can boast about commanding their own squads of Ultra Sangheili or mauling a Spartan so badly that they were forced to retreat. I think he might be the closest Unggoy equivalent to the Master Chief for humanity or Thel Vadam and the Sangheili -- a premiere warrior of his own species.
Sedrin wrote:
Stolt is probably one of the most awesome of the Unggoy. Not many can boast about commanding their own squads of Ultra Sangheili or mauling a Spartan so badly that they were forced to retreat. I think he might be the closest Unggoy equivalent to the Master Chief for humanity or Thel Vadam and the Sangheili -- a premiere warrior of his own species.
Stolt is the man, hands down.
I like them, they are cute in my opinion. And when you read about their lore you respect them a lot, strong little guys.
They are a truly amazing species. I hope we can go to Balaho in Infinite for some reason, similar to how we got to go to Sanghelios in H5.
Personally, I always found their design to be kinda cute and funny, but not so much the 343i era designs. Probably because it shows off more of their mouths and stuff.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6