Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Are ODSTs useless now?

OP CR0N14

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Previously the ODSTs were the elite shock troopers who undertook the toughest missions that regular Marines couldn't. However, now with advanced augmented supersoldiers being the norm, are ODSTs still relevant to the UNSC's military force? To me, it seems quite redundant to have ODSTs serving as special forces when there are already probably hundreds or even thousands of Spartan-IVs ready now to fulfill the exact same role, but with better effectiveness.

Of course back back during the good ole days of the H/C War, Spartan-IIs and IIIs replacing ODSTs was obviously not feasible seeing as how they took very long to train and develop, and were very expensive to produce, but now post-war with cheaper technology and mass-produced Spartans could this very well be the new reality?

We can even see Spartan-IVs doing the exact same job that ODSTs do in some of the cutscenes of Halo 5's Warzone Firefight, with some maps showing how they're deployed from orbit in drop pods, like how ODSTs are. Should ODSTs be obsolete now with the success of the Spartan-IV program?
They probably are and that's why we haven't seen them in H4/5.
They could still be used in the outer colonies though, where Spartans perhaps can't be trained or deployed there, so ODSTs already there can help.
Also, Spartans could be seen as more intimidating, which could be bad to people they're trying to protect, so ODSTs and marines can be used instead to look more friendly.
No.
They are still in action.
Because you always need special forces and the Spartans cant replace the ODSTs simply because there are not enough of them.
While Spartans are superior in most ways to ODSTs, they are also more expensive to train, equip and field. Even with the GEN2 armor being significantly cheaper to make, it's still going to cost a pretty penny to outfit a IV.

And not everyone can be a Spartan. There is no shortage of talented soldiers out there...many of them ODSTs themselves and the branch only takes the best of the best.

GH
CR0N14 wrote:
Previously the ODSTs were the elite shock troopers who undertook the toughest missions that regular Marines couldn't. However, now with advanced augmented supersoldiers being the norm, are ODSTs still relevant to the UNSC's military force? To me, it seems quite redundant to have ODSTs serving as special forces when there are already probably hundreds or even thousands of Spartan-IVs ready now to fulfill the exact same role, but with better effectiveness.
BraviaryScout has explained it nicely already. I'd just like to add that augmented super-soldiers are far from the norm. On the UNSC Infinity alone, a ship crewed by over 17,000 people, only a few hundred are Spartan-IVs. And the majority of Spartan-IVs are assigned to Infinity. Compared to the rest of the UNSC, Spartans are a minority, meaning that ODSTs still have a place within the UNSC Marine Corps.
There's also the question of whether the ODST brass is going to be happy about being phased out in favour of a branch they have a long-standing rivalry with.
Definitely no. There's only around 500 Spartan-IVs, hardly the norm.
Odsts are never useless....they work in the shadows...
They're still around

They could use ODST's for wars against insurrectionist's and SIV's for the covenant remnant groups and prometheans.
The ODSTs have been faced out, and are useless. A majority of the new Spartan IV's are ODSTs who wanted to remain as the biggest, bad -Yoinks!- the UNSC can through at the enemy.
The ODSTs have been faced out, and are useless. A majority of the new Spartan IV's are ODSTs who wanted to remain as the biggest, bad -Yoinks!- the UNSC can through at the enemy.
Straight up false. No where is this shown or proven. I don't see how you people come to this rediculous conclusion. The Spartan-IVs number in at around 500, ODSTs are easily at or over 5000. Spartan-IVs fill a special operations role that can conduct missions for ONI, Air Force, Army, Navy, and Marine Corps, while the ODSTs are going to be carrying out missions for the Marines and Navy and on occasion ONI.
Considering their lineage and specific functions, I'd imagine that eventually the idea of a single Spartan branch will cease to be a thing and ultimately Spartan augmentations will be a fact of life for all UNSC combat troops. I envision in a few hundred years the UNSC having Marine Spartans and Army Spartans, and even ODST Spartans.

commando235
Quote:
Straight up false. No where is this shown or proven. I don't see how you people come to this rediculous conclusion. The Spartan-IVs number in at around 500, ODSTs are easily at or over 5000.
Considering that to cover 400 worlds the UNSC would've had to absolutely friggin' massive, and ODSTs are often discussed in terms of divisions - which for Unicom consist of about 14,000 troops all-up - the UNSC probably has a hell of a lot more than 5000 ODSTs. Even if their "divisions" were much smaller - as suggested by the fact that their units are often split off and deployed by the platoon or company - given the sheer scale of the UNSC, their numbers would be quite significant, even if they were proportionally composed of a tiny amount of UNSC troops, even less proportionally than the amount of US servicemen in the Navy Seals.
Considering their lineage and specific functions, I'd imagine that eventually the idea of a single Spartan branch will cease to be a thing and ultimately Spartan augmentations will be a fact of life for all UNSC combat troops. I envision in a few hundred years the UNSC having Marine Spartans and Army Spartans, and even ODST Spartans.

commando235
Quote:
Straight up false. No where is this shown or proven. I don't see how you people come to this rediculous conclusion. The Spartan-IVs number in at around 500, ODSTs are easily at or over 5000.
Considering that to cover 400 worlds the UNSC would've had to absolutely friggin' massive, and ODSTs are often discussed in terms of divisions - which for Unicom consist of about 14,000 troops all-up - the UNSC probably has a hell of a lot more than 5000 ODSTs. Even if their "divisions" were much smaller - as suggested by the fact that their units are often split off and deployed by the platoon or company - given the sheer scale of the UNSC, their numbers would be quite significant, even if they were proportionally composed of a tiny amount of UNSC troops, even less proportionally than the amount of US servicemen in the Navy Seals.
If augmentations become the norm, I'm done with Halo.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Do not make inapppropriate posts.

Spoiler:
Show
InfamousVikingX
Quote:
If augmentations become the norm, I'm done with Halo.
Relax, Captain Triggered. I said a few hundred years, did I not? Firstly, armies of augmented soldiers can be cool, take the Adeptus Astartes from Warhammer 40k. Secondly, I see the UNSC having a fully-augmented military as something closer to an ending rather than a way to continue the Halo story - the odds are, by that point, we'll all be done with Halo, because the story will be over. At the moment, we only have a few hundred Spartans, and I imagine that's the way it'll stay for the foreseeable future.
What are you on about? I am just stating my opinion that if augmentations ever become the norm in Halo, I'm done.
InfamousVikingX
Quote:
What are you on about? I am just stating my opinion that if augmentations ever become the norm in Halo, I'm done.
Well I'm saying that your opinion seems drastic, and that you seem to have misinterpreted my original comment as augmentation "becoming the norm in Halo" when I meant to express was the idea that after the story of Halo blows over, that is probably the direction the UNSC would go in - it's the ending, y'know?

"And they all lived happily ever after and became strong enough to punch your head clean off and flip over tanks. The end, children."
InfamousVikingX
Quote:
Well I'm saying that your opinion seems drastic, and that you seem to have misinterpreted my original comment as augmentation "becoming the norm in Halo" when I meant to express was the idea that after the story of Halo blows over, that is probably the direction the UNSC would go in - it's the ending, y'know?

"And they all lived happily ever after and became strong enough to punch your head clean off and flip over tanks. The end, children."
That's the thing, I don't want Halo to have a happy ending. I preferred the darker story with the UNSC as the underdogs. So it's clear that we have two very different visions for the future of Halo. But I still respect your opinion, even though I do not agree with it.
No, the ODSTs aren't a thing of the past. They're still active as a unit. We see some in Escalation, actually, as a part of Holly Tanaka's backstory (they wear the H2A armor if you couldn't tell). And besides, you don't need Spartans for everything. That'd pretty much be a massive waste of resources.
There's also the question of whether the ODST brass is going to be happy about being phased out in favour of a branch they have a long-standing rivalry with.
Exactly, going back to SPARTAN-II (though the Spartans weren't a branch until SPARTAN-IV).
I wonder if ODSTs would have had an issue with members of ORION?
Hardly useless. The ODSTs have always filled a more spaceborne direct action role, akin to the 75th Ranger Regiment.

Spartans are more small units, and a step above, akin to Delta, DEVGRU, and the 24th STS. There are no where near enough Spartans to take over their role, and frankly it would be a miss management of resources, as ODST missions do not require a Spartans's level of training or augmentation.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2