Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Are there more Spartan II alive then Spartan III?

OP HamCon55

This is something I do wonder, I mean out of all the Spartans, the Spartan II's had the least amount since Halsey had to find kids with the right genetic makeup, and not counting the ones that died during the procedure I bet some did die during the Human/Covenant War.

Yet then we get the Spartan III which to my knowledge had more soldiers, all of them being orphans, but at the same time, I remember hearing that they were basically used in Suicide missions, or expected to die like what see saw happen with most of Noble Team, with only Juin surviving.

So that does make me wonder if, after the war, we had more Spartan II than III alive, since the causality rate for Spartan III was so much higher.
Doing a little bit of research would have answered your question.
There are 20+ surviving S-IIs if you include the crippled and retired. Compare that with the hundreds of S-IIIs still active (of which Gamma Company makes up 95%) and you have your answer clear as day.
This is extremely classified information, Spartans. Both of you on the deck. Now.
This is extremely classified information, Spartans. Both of you on the deck. Now.
Yes ma'am. For the record, the S-IVs outnumber the S-IIs and IIIs combined so we're technically the best. Go IVs!
Spoiler:
Show
This is something I think should be referenced more in future games. Some of my friends still believe that Master Chief should be the only surviving Spartan II and straight up refuse to believe the existence of Blue Team, Red Team, and Grey Team.

"bUt iT wAsN't iN tHe GaEM sO It dOesNt cOUnt!" >:(

This is something I think should be referenced more in future games. Some of my friends still believe that Master Chief should be the only surviving Spartan II and straight up refuse to believe the existence of Blue Team, Red Team, and Grey Team.

"bUt iT wAsN't iN tHe GaEM sO It dOesNt cOUnt!" >:(

How do they explain Blue team in Halo 5? Or Red team in Halo Wars?
It's quite fishy, as the status of some Spartans mentioned in the past never got updated. So let's just consider a Spartan is "alive" if said individual is either named or specifically portraited in canon material and is (prior to Infinite): 1. confirmed alive; 2. not KIA nor MIA but just "status unknown"; 3. considered KIA/MIA by the UNSC but we as players/readers clearly know otherwise; 4. KIA/MIA to UNSC but we have yet to see their true fate ourselves.

Not counting retired/crippled/reassigned S-IIs like Maria, Fhajad and Serin etc., S-IIs not dead are: Blue Team (4), Gray Team (3), Spirit of Fire's Red Team (3), Naomi-010, Omega Team (3) and a briefly mentioned Keiichi-047, so 15 S-IIs in total. If you want more, the fates of Carris-137, Joseph-122 and Beta-Red's are also unknown so who knows?

As for S-IIIs, excluding Jun (who is currently a civilian), there's Kevin-A282, the Outpost Discovery duo, SPARTAN-G059, Onyx survivors (5). That's 9. But from the Bungie era there's also SPARTAN-B170, Rosenda-A344, Teams Echo, Gauntlet and Red whose fates are also unknown, so again a mystery.

As it stands, there are more S-IIs alive than S-IIIs, at least for now. Remember, unlike S-IIs, serveral companies of S-IIIs were trained, each containing several hundred trainees. Then there's the Headhunters program, picking out specific S-IIIs for special operations, who didn't participate in those mass suicide missions. All of this gives 343i plenty room to create new S-III characters (should they want to) without breaking lore.
There has to be more III's than 2's. And the 2's they do have, they still wanna use for whatever secret (amoral) missions ONI wants. Whereas the III's they'll still use for all other purposes, including training the IV's.
Yes ma'am. For the record, the S-IVs outnumber the S-IIs and IIIs combined so we're technically the best. Go IVs!
Spoiler:
Show
the total number of S-IIIs (both KIA/MIA and active) dwarf both the S-IIs and IVs. at a minimum the total number of IIIs is 930, but taking into account plot holes brought on by S-III head hunters and the halo reach game, there is well over 1020 S-IIIs ( a far cry from the 500 S-IVs (both KIA and active) and 33 S-IIs (MIA and active)). however, due to the whole idea of the IIIs being expendable, the are now currently far less IIIs than before (total current number is unknown, but most likely under 200). so at the current time in the halo universe, the S-IV program has the highest amount of currently active members ( about 481 (likely even less than that, spartan deaths are still not well recorded)).

TLDR: S-IIIs have the highest total population (with likely more than 1020 members), while S-IVs have the highest amount of currently active members (somewhere under 481 members)
Spoiler:
Show
the total number of S-IIIs (both KIA/MIA and active) dwarf both the S-IIs and IVs. at a minimum the total number of IIIs is 930, but taking into account plot holes brought on by S-III head hunters and the halo reach game, there is well over 1020 S-IIIs ( a far cry from the 500 S-IVs (both KIA and active) and 33 S-IIs (MIA and active)). however, due to the whole idea of the IIIs being expendable, the are now currently far less IIIs than before (total current number is unknown, but most likely under 200). so at the current time in the halo universe, the S-IV program has the highest amount of currently active members ( about 481 (likely even less than that, spartan deaths are still not well recorded)).

TLDR: S-IIIs have the highest total population (with likely more than 1020 members), while S-IVs have the highest amount of currently active members (somewhere under 481 members)
I think that 500 number only pertains to Spartan IVs on board the Infinity, not force wide; Especially considering Spartan IVs are pointedly in operation in a wide variety of locales. If your number's from that one panel cited on Wiki, that was from back when Halo 4 was new, so it's both extremely dated and specifically mentions the Infinity.
Trenchbird wrote:
Spoiler:
Show

I think that 500 number only pertains to Spartan IVs on board the Infinity, not force wide; Especially considering Spartan IVs are pointedly in operation in a wide variety of locales. If your number's from that one panel cited on Wiki, that was from back when Halo 4 was new, so it's both extremely dated and specifically mentions the Infinity.
Agree with you there, I myself think the number of IVs is closer to 1000 than 500. Considering multiple ships have their own S-IV contingents. Hard to see how they'd protect Human controlled space including all the classified installations and facilities with anything less.
Trenchbird wrote:
Spoiler:
Show

there needs to be an updated official statement on the actual population numbers for spartan-IVs. Actually, for the IIIs and IVs. would things so much easier
There's still Gamma Company where most survived and each Spartan-III company had way more than the class of 2525 Spartan-IIs. But we don't know how many Spartans-IIs and III are truly still active since 343 won't give us official numbers. I don't mind as I like a little mystery on the topic, plus I think they do it to make writing in a new Spartan easier.