Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Biggest battle in the Halo Universe? IYO

OP Pat J OBrien

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
In your opinion, what has been the largest battle, whether it be in space or planetside, in the Halo Universe? I would have to say the battle of reach.
Also, as a bonus: Coolest Battles.
Biggest battle in the Halo Universe, I think its gotta be the Battle of Onyx. The coolest battle, would probably be The Fall of Reach. I gotta say, it'd be the coolest.
The Great Schism. We really don't know how large of a span across locations in the galaxy it took. It did span across many battles from the first Battle of Earth, to the Battle of the Lesser Ark.
Quote:
The Great Schism. We really don't know how large of a span across locations in the galaxy it took. It did span across many battles from the first Battle of Earth, to the Battle of the Lesser Ark.
The Great Schism cant really be called a battle. If anything it more closely resembles a war.

I do agree with you somewhat though, as I think the battle between Elite and Brute forces outside High Charity is probably the biggest battle in the current Halo timeline.

In total the battle between Mendicant Bias and Offensive Bias would have been the biggest.

Of course, if you want to talk about ground engagements then I think I would have to say any of the Battles of Harvest would take that trophy.

As for coolest battle, I think I would have to go with Reach or Earth, only because I think the orbital MAC platforms are baller.
I would say the Battle of Psi Serpentis was by far the largest space battle of the entire Human-Covenant War. Like 212 UNSC warships vs 300 or so Covenant warships. Admiral Cole's last stand. Now that is a battle I would like to see.
I would say the Defense of the Maginot Sphere. Two massive armies clashed for the fate of the galaxy in a totally non-cheesy way. When you think about it, if Offensive Bias lost, the Halo Trilogy wouldn't have taken place.
As for Coolest Battles, I would say the space battle above the Lesser Ark. We didn't get to see much, but I bet it was pretty epic.
Quote:
I would say the Defense of the Maginot Sphere. Two massive armies clashed for the fate of the galaxy in a totally non-cheesy way. When you think about it, if Offensive Bias lost, the Halo Trilogy wouldn't have taken place.
As for Coolest Battles, I would say the space battle above the Lesser Ark. We didn't get to see much, but I bet it was pretty epic.
I would have liked to see the Battle of Reach the Space portion at least. I feel the game didn't portray it correctly. I wanted to see the Super Carrier UNSC Trafalgar get sliced same with the Musashi. I wanted to see the minefield.

Same with the Space Battle for Earth I just feel we didn't see the largest Human Final Stand.
Humanity's last stand at Charrum Hakkor. It took I don't know HOW many years for the Forerunners to finally beat them (and no it wasn't more like a war, it was the end to a war)

Coolest? Battle of Reach
The Defense of the Maginot Sphere for sure.

4.8 million war ships decking it out

Quote:
Whereas, previously captured Forerunner super luminary ships were sequestered and unused in the Flood war effort, now, Mendicant Bias recalled all of them to attack the Maginot Sphere, and the gathered Flood attack fleet was over 4.8 million vessels, although the majority were non-military, and an extremely small number were capital-scale warships. The fleet was led by Mendicant's original 1,000 Forerunner warships. The Didact, who was able to predict where the Flood blow would fall upon the sphere, was able to marshal the Suppression, Security, and Emergency Circumstance fleets under the command of Mendicant's "brother", Offensive Bias, with a total of over eleven thousand vessels, with the Flood outnumbering the Forerunners 436.6:1.

Two hours after the Flood fleet appeared, Mendicant Bias made the first move, devoting over a quarter of his vessels — over 1.7 million small and lightweight leisure craft — to storm the Forerunner fleets, not to attack them with weapons, but rather, to overwhelm them, providing too many targets for too few weapons, and boarding Forerunner ships to infect and capture them. Remarkably, the Forerunner vessels were able to evade boarding for three and a half hours. It was after three and a half hours, larger commercial vessels and smaller military craft were launched by the Flood, and the first Forerunner ship was boarded, although it suicidally rammed an incoming Flood ship, releasing over thirty thousand Flood warriors, killing them as the Forerunner crew perished. For four hours, the Flood attack waves intensified, culminating in a final wave of container and transport vessels and warships, most far heavier than a Forerunner Dreadnought.
Firing HaloEdit

However, the entire battle up to this point had been a feint — Offensive Bias had merely been playing time and destroying Mendicants core vessels. As the battle intensified, the Halo Array fired, instantaneously killing all Forerunner and Flood in its area of effect and leaving the majority of the ships lifeless, drifting, un-piloted. The odds were suddenly rebalanced; whereas the Flood had outnumbered the Forerunners initially by millions, now, it was the Forerunners that had more vessels than Mendicant. Captured Forerunner vessels began self-destruction or opening uncontained Slipspace rifts that damaged many Flood vessels, and the sheer number of drifting derelict ships began to hinder Mendicant's core fleet — they began to collide into the ruptured fuel cells of the drifting vessels, destroying fifty-two of Mendicant's warships in only a few seconds. Over the next few minutes, over five hundred more of Mendicant's warships were destroyed by collision, the exposed Slipspace rifts, and so on. The battle turned even further — the Forerunner battleships, all controlled by Offensive Bias, now outnumbered Mendicant's fleet six-to-one.
Hitherto, it's undeniably the battle of the Maginot Sphere and the battle of the Capital.
Agreed.

The top two are:

Mendicant Bias' surprise assault on the Capital. Halos were fired and several rings were destroyed, along with a large portion of the Forerunner defense fleet that arrived to help.

Mendicant Bias' assault on the Maginot Sphere. Millions of ships clashed here, on the last day of the Forerunner-Flood War. Offensive Bias was starting to be overcome when the rings were fired. Mendicant's organic parts of the fleet were destroyed, allowing Offensive Bias to take the upper hand. The battle continued as the last ships rammed each other down.
Quote:
Agreed.

The top two are:

Mendicant Bias' surprise assault on the Capital. Halos were fired and several rings were destroyed, along with a large portion of the Forerunner defense fleet that arrived to help.

Mendicant Bias' assault on the Maginot Sphere. Millions of ships clashed here, on the last day of the Forerunner-Flood War. Offensive Bias was starting to be overcome when the rings were fired. Mendicant's organic parts of the fleet were destroyed, allowing Offensive Bias to take the upper hand. The battle continued as the last ships rammed each other down.

Both of these battles were described in such awesome, visceral detail. I actually got goosebumps in Cryptum when Bear was describing the Halo Ring collapsing in on itself with the oceans spilling out into space and solidifying into vast ice sculptures, and the mountains breaking apart. Truly amazing writing.
seeing as the

human flood war.forerunner human war, forerunner flood war, and battle of the bias' took place all over the galaxiy and had trillions involved. I am going to go with those.
Quote:
seeing as the

human flood war.forerunner human war, forerunner flood war, and battle of the bias' took place all over the galaxiy and had trillions involved. I am going to go with those.
This

The ancient battles during the ancient era are a hundred magnitudes above the contemporary ones.
Many people have already said this, but definitely it would be the Battle of the Maginot Line. If the battle went a different way, the entire galaxy would be choked with Flood infestation by now.

It was also, in my opinion, the coolest.
The battle for Charuum Hakkor.
Definitely the Battle of the Maginot Sphere as the biggest one.

As for coolest? I'll say the Battle of the Maginot Sphere once again. It has just got to be an epic battle.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2