Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Biofoam in real life

OP Z21598

I came across and interesting article today about a medical trauma foam being tested at a hospital in Boston. I’ll put the link in this post but it looks similar to Biofoam in that it’s injected into the body, expands, and then temporarily helps deal with internal bleeding. The article doesn’t mention if the foam disinfects, numbs pain or if it can be applied topically (all attributes of biofoam). I thought it was really cool. What are your thoughts?

Link to article
Z21598 wrote:
I came across and interesting article today about a medical trauma foam being tested at a hospital in Boston. I’ll put the link in this post but it looks similar to Biofoam in that it’s injected into the body, expands, and then temporarily helps deal with internal bleeding. The article doesn’t mention if the foam disinfects, numbs pain or if it can be applied topically (all attributes of biofoam). I thought it was really cool. What are your thoughts?
Based on the technology we have today,it's surprising that something like that isn't talked about or even used more
Right? It would be useful in so many different fields.
They inject it through your belly button?!?! Yikes!
They inject it through your belly button?!?! Yikes!
If you're bleeding internally, you've probably got things other than "oh boi foam in mah belleh" on your mind.
Z21598 wrote:

Link to article
I get thinking about it, there is already foam that can be injected from a needle to stop bleeding. the problem is more so getting the foam out. seeing as that could cause massive blood clots.
Nice
My dad was a heavy machine gunner in the US Marines, and he said that something similar to biofoam is already used by the military. The way he described it was similar to whipped cream spray; you spray it on the wound, and it becomes like a flexible rubber/foam bandage. It also helps blood clot faster to stop the bleeding.
BioFoam also works on internal wounds which (if this really manages to gain traction) would be an absolutely magnificent achievement scientifically/medically. I hope it is researched to its fullest potential and isn't turned into another item in the overpriced medicinal market.