Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Bungie vs 343: Forerunner architecture

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

People discuss the aspects which Bungie and 343 did better to each other. This brings me to the discussion, Forerunner architecture. Look, I love Bungie's art for the games, but the Forerunner architecture wasn't as cool. When I say this, I mean the details such as the interior and such, not the structures themselves. 343 seems to have a better art team when it comes to detailing Forerunner architecture. People will argue Bungie couldn't have the structures look like advanced metal due to graphic restraints. While somewhat true, look at the Reach Forerunner palette. In CEA, they made the Forerunner architecture look super futuristic, and continued doing so with the Reclaimer Saga. As much as I love Bungie's art, I prefer 343's art for the Forerunner architecture. Thoughts?
To me, haven will always be the definite forerunner look.
Obviously it's much easier to make good-looking smooth surfaces than complicated textured ones, yet Bungie's Forerunner textures are more complicated and busy than 343's, which does not take away from 343's though. It doesn't have to be complicated in a human sense, because it's alien. It's like 343i's forerunner architecture is overwhelming and makes you feel full of awe, while bungies is mysterious and aging with hidden messages. If Bungie had wanted Forerunner designs to be that clean in previous games like they are in Halo 4, they could have. It's an artistic choice, not a hardware issue.
i really like how the forrunner buildings look now.
People discuss the aspects which Bungie and 343 did better to each other. This brings me to the discussion, Forerunner architecture. Look, I love Bungie's art for the games, but the Forerunner architecture wasn't as cool. When I say this, I mean the details such as the interior and such, not the structures themselves. 343 seems to have a better art team when it comes to detailing Forerunner architecture. People will argue Bungie couldn't have the structures look like advanced metal due to graphic restraints. While somewhat true, look at the Reach Forerunner palette. In CEA, they made the Forerunner architecture look super futuristic, and continued doing so with the Reclaimer Saga. As much as I love Bungie's art, I prefer 343's art for the Forerunner architecture. Thoughts?
It's just different. In terms of design. But actual architecture wise, people originally argued that 343's architecture was tied to a specific caste of Forerunners (The Warrior-Servants), While Bungie's was the Builders.

And it seems this case held true with Halo 5, where 343 DIDN'T just decide to use their new architecture for the obviously-Builder structures we see. You can see Halo 5's Forerunner designs more-closely resemble the classic Bungie Builder designs than 343's Warrior-Servant designs.
I like both of them, but my favorite Forerunners' style is the 343i's style
343= more badass art
Bungie=sucks art
The 343 forerunner designs are very alien feel more alien and really show the technological advancements of the forerunners with floating designs just for a building but seem way to new and barely and rundown unlike bungle where deign was somewhat simpler but look rundown and the idea of a lost species and really grinds the idea of the forerunners being a real ancient species.
When Bungie made the Forerunner ruins initially, they had planned out a long near extinct group of aliens that hadn't used these things for thousands of years. They had not known intention to bring them back. As such, they needed to design architecture that looked abandoned. Just look at the Roman ruins and note how bear and uncool now. I be willing to bet you that if they were still around, that architecture would look cooler and more alive.
I'm a bigger fan of bungies simpler forerunner architecture. 343 s just seems too futuristic for me. But that's just my perspective and it is an alien race so who's to say they weren't more advanced at an earlier age. Idk it just seems like bunnies style felt older and more mysterious
When Bungie made the Forerunner ruins initially, they had planned out a long near extinct group of aliens that hadn't used these things for thousands of years. They had not known intention to bring them back. As such, they needed to design architecture that looked abandoned. Just look at the Roman ruins and note how bear and uncool now. I be willing to bet you that if they were still around, that architecture would look cooler and more alive.
Except as early as Halo CE Bungie also had sentinels. Which would maintain the structures.
343= more badass art
Bungie=sucks art
That's a bit misleading considering that there's a large gap in the number of years that gaming has developed and just because 343 stepped in with better equipment doesn't mean bungie isn't good at art. If anything they were only held back by their dedication to the actual game unlike 343.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
The reason the architecture looks different is because the 343 Forerunner designs are representative of the architecture at the hight of Forerunner society or the Forerunner Ecumene; the Bungie Forerunner designs are representative of the architecture at the end of Forerunner society where the Forerunners had to be more utilitarian with designs and didn't have time to be ornate.
The reason the architecture looks different is because the 343 Forerunner designs are representative of the architecture at the hight of Forerunner society or the Forerunner Ecumene; the Bungie Forerunner designs are representative of the architecture at the end of Forerunner society where the Forerunners had to be more utilitarian with designs and didn't have time to be ornate.
That would make sense if 343 didn't change the Forerunner architecture design in HCEA and H2A massively.
Yeah this if one of the main things I think 343 did worse with their art-styles. H2A has my favorite art-style all in all, still the Forerunner architecture is a huge downgrade (except the ruins, they did great).
Bungie's style was more varied. The remake just has the same shiny patterns everywhere. Same problem with the later games, everything just looks the same.
I prefer 343's Forerunner architecture by a long shot. While the Bungie ones have some good looking spires, the interior are just bland and lifeless with noticeable repeated patterns and nothing much visually interesting. Sometimes the dull gray is just too similar to human architecture.
I think 343 just escalated the visuals for Forerunner tech to a entire new level, specially in Halo 4 where you can see all the rooms are so carefully designed and functional that it actually looks way more advanced and alien than human technology. I just can't help but think Halo Infinite so far looks like a huge downgrade in this subject and the prime example is the hexagon walls, they just sums up the Bungie forerunner architecture for me overall, it is just not pleasing to look at, it is too bland.
nekrulz wrote:
To me, haven will always be the definite forerunner look.
Agreed. It was a sweet spot between super minimalism and detail. But also between dull grey and some color. I feel like most other 343i Forerunner structures are a bit too bright in terms of lighting. The softer greys and muted lighting on Haven is just perfect.

Second favorite to me are the Delta Halo ruins. Because they truly feel ancient and worn down. Shows that even Forerunner stuff can degrade and break down over time.
Bungie's Architecture is personally my favorite but the new stuff from what little we've seen of Zeta Halo is a very nice middle-ground between the Bungie era and 343's take on it. The ruins from Delta Halo and the Babysitter mission are also pretty interesting too.
I think halo 4 's design went a bit too far but that's because the forerunners had an already established style. On it's own it's the most gorgeous, but my ideal are the remasters'. It's like a more robust and detailed incartnation of h3's. 5 onward can rot in hell.
Please don't revive old topics thanks