Forums / Community / Halo Universe

But is it Cortana? Is this Cortana real?

OP NEXUS NX

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
As I've outlined, I don't see the Gravemind's role at this time based on his and Cortana's first meeting. Nor do I see the Builder being responsible since he feared Cortana and fled from her to Bastion.
Sorry, I didn't realise you had already mentioned that.

There is more and more talk of the Builder and the Gravemind, so it would be interesting as to how and why (they could be in) Halo 6.
However, I DR HALSEY I, I would not rule out something Forerunner being a threat in Halo 6, looks like Halo is leaning more and more towards the Forerunner threat.
I think its her, but I also think that she is being controlled. I hope that is the case anyway. I cant accept that cortana would act like this on her own will
The actual cortana is not cortana, the real cortana is hotter
Na it cant be the real Cortana here is 3 ways I hope 343 takes to explain why Cortana is like this in halo 5

1. She is infected with the logic plague. It would be a good way to bring back the flood if they are bringing them which I hope they do!
  2. she is being controlled by the didact. The didact wasn't lets say written very well people didn't know him if you didn't read the books and in a halo comic book (forget what it was called) which was just horrible he was written so poorly god I'm not getting into details but he was written bad. It would also be a good way to bring him back into the games because in my opinion he was a good character not written very well but good enough I want him to return in halo 6!
  3. and number 3 343 goes the lazy option and goes she's still bad Notting's wrong with her em em she's on her period or something stupid like that.
now I wish 343 would go with option one or two personally id love the didact to come back he was wasted potential like lasky in halo 4 those are the only 2 characters that has potential in halo 6 but if you would rather the first option that is completely fine they are both good ways that 343 could explain why Cortana is like the way she is in halo 5.

if you had read to this point I thank you kind sir or madam 🍻
nah man i got cortana locked up in my basement....haha just kidding...i dont have a basement
Hotrod192 wrote:
I sure hope that it's not her. The whole "Cortana actually didn't die and is now evil" is just such a terrible plot point... It would make more sense if it were the Precursors/Flood (remember, the Domain is NOT Forerunner) that were using the image of Cortana for whatever reason.

But again, your idea of Forerunner protocols is flawed, just as the idea of the Warden Eternal guarding the Domain. Once again, the Domain was a Precursor artifact, the Forerunners just used it, ignorant of its true nature. Of course, the Domain, like any other Precursor artifact, was destroyed with the firing of the Halo Array 100 000 years ago, but apparently that was retconned. Anything that happens within the Domain has nothing to do with the Forerunners.

That being said, if this is the real Cortana, and if she did enter the Domain, the most logical explanation is that it infected her with the Logic Plague, in the same way that Mendicant Bias was affected during the Forerunner-Flood war. The idea of Cortana suddenly deciding to turn evil and rule the galaxy makes no sense.
True that. It would also be a (my opinion) decent plot twist that would sort of 'redeem' Cortana...she is in fact gone, replaced by an evil, evil simulacrum that has been playing US ALL FOR SAPS!! I would be much happier with that eventuality, and my memories of Cortana would be uncorrupted, AND 343i could be vindicated in their assertion that Cortana is, indeed, dead.
It's possible. She definitely seems to be a bit "under the influence" if you know what I mean. A lot of conclusions could be drawn from what happened on the Mantle's Approach to entering the Domain to now, and this one seems to line up with some key facts. I could see this potentially being the explanation for her motive to reclaim the Mantle.

One thing I would like to bring up, however, and one thing that I feel isn't discussed enough and could potentially hide some further clues is one of her lines during the last Blue Team mission (The Breaking, I think it's called). I don't exactly remember where she said this, but at one point in the mission, Cortana states "Even if you don't agree with my plans, it's still me, John." Why would she say that? Sure it could be that she knows Chief could be doubting if that is her, sure it could be another tactic to keep him in line with her wishes since she knows he does not want to terminate her. However, the first argument isn't applicable because Chief wasn't questioning her true identity in the first place. If he was, he would've stated it, and besides, Cortana already knows him full and well to recant their experiences, which would add more proof that this is indeed her and not someone else. The second argument isn't applicable either since earlier in the mission, Chief already knew Cortana was playing tricks on him to keep him in line. My guess is, like the OP's theory, it's a cover for something or someone else. Whoever that is, I have no idea.

P.S. my little piece of information and speculation up there could have mistakes in it. If any are present, lemme know.
I agree with a few of you. Cortana definitely should not still exist. I think that 343 decided to keep her in the game in order to keep a certain audience that was in love with her. To just allow this to drag on is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Maybe introduce another AI?
In the case that it isn't actually Cortana, perhaps it's another Forerunner Ancilla which somehow acquired her memories, personality, and form. If it isn't Cortana, then it might think it's Cortana, and, therefore, is Cortana.
Sounds a bit like an episode of Star Trek or Doctor Who or some other old sci-fi TV show.
Somehow, The Domain changed her. Whether she's being influenced, or her image and status are being taken advantage of, (or many other possibilities) we might never know, or at least not until H6, maybe not even then.
There are many theories, I think we're all overthinking it a bit.
I think you're just looking too deeply into it. I think it's Curtana, because the feelings she had for John were genuine.
So for some unknown Forerunner ancilla to be masquerading as Cortana, we'd have to accept that the Warden Eternal evidently can't see through a disguise. I'd also be a pretty weak twist since you'd just be introducing yet another new character for no better reason than because you needed a bad guy. Seems like an odd choice when you could've continued with the Didact as opposed to a brand new character just like him pretending to be a dead character because...reasons. It'd also make any tension between Chief and Cortana on opposing ends of a conflict null since it really isn't her. If you have an idea like that, why not commit to it at the very least and do your best with it? I don't like Cortana being alive just to be the villain, but I'd respect 343 a lot more if they have the guts to actually have it be her rather than cop-out in the end.
So for some unknown Forerunner ancilla to be masquerading as Cortana, we'd have to accept that the Warden Eternal evidently can't see through a disguise. I'd also be a pretty weak twist since you'd just be introducing yet another new character for no better reason than because you needed a bad guy. Seems like an odd choice when you could've continued with the Didact as opposed to a brand new character just like him pretending to be a dead character because...reasons. It'd also make any tension between Chief and Cortana on opposing ends of a conflict null since it really isn't her. If you have an idea like that, why not commit to it at the very least and do your best with it? I don't like Cortana being alive just to be the villain, but I'd respect 343 a lot more if they have the guts to actually have it be her rather than cop-out in the end.
Just on your point about the Warden, he is there to protect the domain - however he was convinced that Cortana and other human AIs were meant to inherit the mantle. So I think the Warden is being controlled as well, or something is corrupting his view.
omarlotrc wrote:
I think you're just looking too deeply into it. I think it's Curtana, because the feelings she had for John were genuine.
Then again, why would she suddenly have all this power and still wants MC alive? Surely she doesn't need all him if she has all this power?
BECKFAST10 wrote:
I agree with a few of you. Cortana definitely should not still exist. I think that 343 decided to keep her in the game in order to keep a certain audience that was in love with her. To just allow this to drag on is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Maybe introduce another AI?
They did a good job with introducing Exuberant, not.

But I think we are going to her in future games.
Its possible if she can turn human... that would be.... something special😍😍😍
Na it cant be the real Cortana here is 3 ways I hope 343 takes to explain why Cortana is like this in halo 5

1. She is infected with the logic plague. It would be a good way to bring back the flood if they are bringing them which I hope they do!
  2. she is being controlled by the didact. The didact wasn't lets say written very well people didn't know him if you didn't read the books and in a halo comic book (forget what it was called) which was just horrible he was written so poorly god I'm not getting into details but he was written bad. It would also be a good way to bring him back into the games because in my opinion he was a good character not written very well but good enough I want him to return in halo 6!
  3. and number 3 343 goes the lazy option and goes she's still bad Notting's wrong with her em em she's on her period or something stupid like that.
now I wish 343 would go with option one or two personally id love the didact to come back he was wasted potential like lasky in halo 4 those are the only 2 characters that has potential in halo 6 but if you would rather the first option that is completely fine they are both good ways that 343 could explain why Cortana is like the way she is in halo 5.

if you had read to this point I thank you kind sir or madam 🍻
It would be a twist if the Didact was still alive in the Domain.
I dont see how its anything but her. She's likely her rampant fragments left behind on Mantle's Approach. Which we know from Catalog the heart of Mantle's Approach made an emergency slipspace jump to escape the nuke. Much like the fragment of Alpha Halo did in Nightfall.

Logic plague i cant see at all. So the Gravemind waits till after he's been defeated unless he overdosed on the Stupid pills bungie gave their villans in halo 3. And if we are doing the whole Logic plague thing we are essentially just copy/pasting halo 3.

Didact makes no sense the only evidence people give is oh she says the same speech as the Didact at the end of Halo 4. The speech is likely a common phrase associated with upholding the mantle.

John also says on Genesis Mantle's Approach was pulled into slipspace and what was on Mantle's Approach all of Cortana's rampant fragments.
This is a great theory. Its this, or her being controlled. Simple yet effective. To me, most these other comments are completely overthinking it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5