Forums / Community / Halo Universe

But Truth couldnt activate the Ark without humans?

OP ChrisJacko183

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
In Halo 3, when Truth went through the portal to activate the Ark, what exactly was the rush from the UNSC / separatists to pursue him? He needed a human to activate the Ark and yet seemingly had none so he couldn't of activated it! So the UNSC had no reason to be in a rush to stop him from firing the rings - his campaign was going to hit a dead end when he reached to control room without any humans, surely?

My only explanations would be one or multiple of these justifying their reasons to pursue him: The UNSC...
  1. ... couldn't say for certain that he didn't have any human prisoners on board a Covenant ship; they couldn't take the chance of leaving him be on the Ark in case he did have prisoners to use to activate the Ark.
  2. ... in fact did know there were prisoners on board a Covenant vessel, but ultimately these prisoners escaped or found a way to sacrifice themselves for the cause, taking their own lives in the knowledge Truth would use them to activate the Ark and the consequences of that happening. (my favourite idea)
  3. ... were concerned, given time, even if it were lots of time, Truth would eventually bypass the Forerunner mechanics/security preventing non-humans from activating the Ark and be able to light them himself. Whilst there was no rush exactly, they couldn't be sure how long it could take. Why bother waiting?
  4. ... whilst knowing the Halo rings could not be fired without a human, and whilst the Ark was also unlikely to be activated without a human, couldn't be certain of this fact, and again couldn't take the risk that for some reason this Forerunner installation could be activated without humanity present.
Tbh when you really think about it, it's almost certain at least one out of all those ships which followed Truth through the portal did indeed have a prisoner or two on board. We've seen this before even within the games (Truth and Reconciliation level, prisoners on High Charity (Gravemind level - Halo 2)), rather than having to look to the EU for evidence. In fact it may have been so obvious and incontrovertible to the UNSC prisoners existed that its not even brought up in conversation. So yeah, reckon my reasons are correct? Can you think of any other reasons?
In Halo 3, when Truth went through the portal to activate the Ark, what exactly was the rush from the UNSC / separatists to pursue him? He needed a human to activate the Ark and yet seemingly had none so he couldn't of activated it! So the UNSC had no reason to be in a rush to stop him from firing the rings - his campaign was going to hit a dead end when he reached to control room without any humans, surely?

My only explanations would be one or multiple of these justifying their reasons to pursue him: The UNSC...
  1. ... couldn't say for certain that he didn't have any human prisoners on board a Covenant ship; they couldn't take the chance of leaving him be on the Ark in case he did have prisoners to use to activate the Ark.
  2. ... in fact did know there were prisoners on board a Covenant vessel, but ultimately these prisoners escaped or found a way to sacrifice themselves for the cause, taking their own lives in the knowledge Truth would use them to activate the Ark and the consequences of that happening. (my favourite idea)
  3. ... were concerned, given time, even if it were lots of time, Truth would eventually bypass the Forerunner mechanics/security preventing non-humans from activating the Ark and be able to light them himself. Whilst there was no rush exactly, they couldn't be sure how long it could take. Why bother waiting?
  4. ... whilst knowing the Halo rings could not be fired without a human, and whilst the Ark was also unlikely to be activated without a human, couldn't be certain of this fact, and again couldn't take the risk that for some reason this Forerunner installation could be activated without humanity present.
Tbh when you really think about it, it's almost certain at least one out of all those ships which followed Truth through the portal did indeed have a prisoner or two on board. We've seen this before even within the games (Truth and Reconciliation level, prisoners on High Charity (Gravemind level - Halo 2)), rather than having to look to the EU for evidence. In fact it may have been so obvious and incontrovertible to the UNSC prisoners existed that its not even brought up in conversation. So yeah, reckon my reasons are correct? Can you think of any other reasons?
Most circumstances, Covenant don't take prisoners.

Anyway, yeah... you can kinda blame that on Bungie, who did make some mistakes on Halo 3. That's why I think it would've been better for the narrative if Johnson was captured in Sierra 117, and that's who Truth was going to use to activate the Ark.
In the message Cortana was able to send out, she said that the Gravemind was going to use High Charity to infect all of Earth, but that there was a way to stop the Flood on the other side of the portal. I think the Covenant were more of a secondary concern and Chief and Lord Hood's main priority, stopping the Flood, just ended up coinciding with that.
The Sorge wrote:
In the message Cortana was able to send out, she said that the Gravemind was going to use High Charity to infect all of Earth, but that there was a way to stop the Flood on the other side of the portal. I think the Covenant were more of a secondary concern and Chief and Lord Hood's main priority, stopping the Flood, just ended up coinciding with that.
Nah because they explicitly postpone figuring out Cortana's plan to stop truth from lighting the rings as for OP yeah welcome to the joys of Halo 3 where Truths Dreadnought (at face value) is slower than a Covenant Cruiser and Truth as a character ends with "just a case of insane" not some "really intelligent person who really just wants to be alone in the universe" I mean either of those theories work its another one of those didn't really know how to drip feed what was originally another 30 minutes on H2 into 8 hours
I remember that the Covenant were experts in forerunner technology (said by Cortana in Halo 2 at High Charity), so yeah, Truth would eventually figured out how to activate the Ark without humans.
just another gaping plot-hole bungie left along with high charity somehow jumping to the ark even though the ark is out of range. Also 343 better have a explanation for how the banished and the spirit of fire made it to the ark.
The elites wanted to pursue and kill Truth, while the humans did want to stay behind.
However, the primary reason that FuD went was to find Cortana's solution, but this ended up not being the case as there were a lot more of Truth's ships so everyone had to help.
Quote:
Shipmaster, they outnumber us 3 to 1!
The elites wanted to pursue and kill Truth, while the humans did want to stay behind.
However, the primary reason that FuD went was to find Cortana's solution, but this ended up not being the case as there were a lot more of Truth's ships so everyone had to help.
Quote:
This. The UNSC themselves, as OP states, were not "in a rush" to stop Truth. In fact, only one human vessel went to the Ark: The Forward Unto Dawn. The rest of Hood's Fleet stayed behind to protect Earth from the Flood or any other threat should any arrive.

That was the whole reason why Hood was arguing with Rtas 'Vadum.

The Sangheili were in a rush to kill Truth because he was right there, and John was sent to find Cortana's solution to stop the Flood without firing the Halos.

So so there isn't any "plot hole" or inconsistency or anything of the sort.
Well, there is still the plot hole of why Truth DIDNT have a single human prisoner when he clearly knows he needs a human.

Luckily for him Johnson went and got captured again.
Well, there is still the plot hole of why Truth DIDNT have a single human prisoner when he clearly knows he needs a human.
Truth probably knew that the humans were going to follow him, so he just let them come to him.
just another gaping plot-hole bungie left along with high charity somehow jumping to the ark even though the ark is out of range. Also 343 better have a explanation for how the banished and the spirit of fire made it to the ark.
For High Charity, 343i has said that the Gravemind upgraded the engines to let it get there via Catalog.

The launch trailer for Halo Wars 2 states that the Ark bought the Spirit of Fire to it via teleporting it from whatever location it was at in the galaxy. I'm assuming the Enduring Convention got bought there as well via the same method.
Where's Joseph Staten when you need him. He could explain all of this.

I'm certain there's reasons it went the way it did. I bet if we went through and replayed the campaign and payed attention more to detail things would make sense.
Quote:
This. The UNSC themselves, as OP states, were not "in a rush" to stop Truth. In fact, only one human vessel went to the Ark: The Forward Unto Dawn. The rest of Hood's Fleet stayed behind to protect Earth from the Flood or any other threat should any arrive.

That was the whole reason why Hood was arguing with Rtas 'Vadum.

The Sangheili were in a rush to kill Truth because he was right there, and John was sent to find Cortana's solution to stop the Flood without firing the Halos.

So so there isn't any "plot hole" or inconsistency or anything of the sort.
The Aegis Fate also went.
If I remember correctly , all of the Halos were on standby at that point and only needed a final activation sequence from the ARK for all of them to fire. I don't personally know if a Human is needed to activate this final sequence or not. (Makes since that it would , but you never know. Doubtful Forerunners foresaw any other race becoming technologically able to reach the ARK , and therefore didn't program the same safe guards into it).
Sunsdune wrote:
If I remember correctly , all of the Halos were on standby at that point and only needed a final activation sequence from the ARK for all of them to fire. I don't personally know if a Human is needed to activate this final sequence or not. (Makes since that it would , but you never know. Doubtful Forerunners foresaw any other race becoming technologically able to reach the ARK , and therefore didn't program the same safe guards into it).
Quote:
Avery: What's the matter, big shot, can't start your own party?
Truth: I admit: I need your help, but that secret dies with all the rest.
So Truth knew he needed a human to active the Ark and so did the flood as it asked 117 and Thel to help stop Truth.
Thanks! Couldn't remember one way or the other.
The Sorge wrote:
that is correct my good Spartan.
They couldn't activate the most powerful Forerunner's technology because they weren't the reclaimers. He and the other prophets know that the humans were the true sons of their god, but if the Covenant discovered it, it would be a horrible civil war.
Before crossing the portal, humanity didn't know what to expect about the Ark. Johnson knew that the Ark could remotely activate all the Halos from Guilty Spark, so it's likely High Command knew about that as well. But Chief and the Elites went to the Ark to look for Cortana's "solution" to the Covenant and the Flood (and chase after Truth to kill him), while Lord Hood wanted everyone to stay on Earth and defend it from the impending Flood attack. So the UNSC wasn't really in a rush to go after him; specifically it was Chief and the Elites, and some of the UNSC forces just decided to accompany them out of loyalty (and I guess Lord Hood was like "eh, screw it" and let them go).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2