Forums / Community / Halo Universe

But Truth couldnt activate the Ark without humans?

OP ChrisJacko183

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Chimera30 wrote:
Before crossing the portal, humanity didn't know what to expect about the Ark. Johnson knew that the Ark could remotely activate all the Halos from Guilty Spark, so it's likely High Command knew about that as well. But Chief and the Elites went to the Ark to look for Cortana's "solution" to the Covenant and the Flood (and chase after Truth to kill him), while Lord Hood wanted everyone to stay on Earth and defend it from the impending Flood attack. So the UNSC wasn't really in a rush to go after him; specifically it was Chief and the Elites, and some of the UNSC forces just decided to accompany them out of loyalty (and I guess Lord Hood was like "eh, screw it" and let them go).
I would add only one thing to this;

The only thing worse than having an Ark with an unknown location AND a Prophet on it is having both of those and a closed portal to get there. Once that portal closes Truth has all the time he could want to find a way to light it, even if it did require a human touch. IIRC there would have been human specimens on the Ark that would only have needed to be reactivated in order to fire the rings. Find another corrupted Monitor to start that process and the conclusion is the Great Journey.
I always believed cortanas solution was that she knew the ark was building a halo, a secret she kept from the gravemind. And once the Gravemind found out about the ark and truths plan he decided to just go through the portal once highcharity made it to earth to infect the ark and take shelter from the rings. "Why would the flood come here?" 343G- "the ark is outta range from all the active instalations"

So basically cortana tricked the gravemind into bringing all his forces to the ark where he unknowingly walked right into his own death. That was cortanas solution to stopping the flood
So theres actually a bigger plot hole that I've never seen anyone ever actually realise. Truth was fully aware that activating the Halo array would have been Lethal ("That secret does with all the rest") ~ Truth to Johnson Halo 3. Which creates an issue for Halo 2 and Halo 3. Firstly, there is no discernable reason as to why Truth would have flown the Keyship to activate the Voi Portal as if he did believe in the array (which he must have, because he sent Tartarus to activate it), he would have directed all his forces to the Control room on 05. Instead, he flees, to go to the Ark. Then, in Halo 3, he can be heard saying that the Ark is a "Shelter from Halo's fire." This implies that he wanted to activate the array without being killed, which is different to his beliefs in Halo 2, if he didnt want to die, why send Tartarus?

Someone once argued with me saying that he was aware of 04's replacement. Well, no, because of his shelter quote and because 04's replacement (08, 04B is incorrect), was incomplete and not connected to the Array.

Truth essentially chnages his beliefs and the beliefs of the Covenant overnight.
So theres actually a bigger plot hole that I've never seen anyone ever actually realise. Truth was fully aware that activating the Halo array would have been Lethal ("That secret does with all the rest") ~ Truth to Johnson Halo 3. Which creates an issue for Halo 2 and Halo 3. Firstly, there is no discernable reason as to why Truth would have flown the Keyship to activate the Voi Portal as if he did believe in the array (which he must have, because he sent Tartarus to activate it), he would have directed all his forces to the Control room on 05. Instead, he flees, to go to the Ark. Then, in Halo 3, he can be heard saying that the Ark is a "Shelter from Halo's fire." This implies that he wanted to activate the array without being killed, which is different to his beliefs in Halo 2, if he didnt want to die, why send Tartarus?

Someone once argued with me saying that he was aware of 04's replacement. Well, no, because of his shelter quote and because 04's replacement (08, 04B is incorrect), was incomplete and not connected to the Array.

Truth essentially chnages his beliefs and the beliefs of the Covenant overnight.
Truth learns of what the Halo actually is between Halo 2 and 3 and changes his plans to be the only prophet left so he has complete control of the Covenant. He fervently believes in The Great Journey all through Halo 2 , until Tartarus captures GS and he (GS) reveals the truth to The Prophet of Truth. At this point his own plans change drastically.
just another gaping plot-hole bungie left along with high charity somehow jumping to the ark even though the ark is out of range. Also 343 better have a explanation for how the banished and the spirit of fire made it to the ark.
By my guess , perhaps 343 guilty spark or mendicant bias had a role in this as I was wondering this too.

Read this for context: https://halo.fandom.com/wiki/343_Guilty_Spark
Don't forget, Truth had some Huragok with them, and given a very short amount of time, they can bypass the Ark Security (this was shown in a book with a UNSC allied Engineer).
The Sangheili knew this. The Arbiter knew this.

And besides, it's cooler if they go after him for vengeance when he's weak.

But, then again, I'm reminded of the fact that the H4, and Greg Bear books just don't align with the original trilogy all too much. Humanity was supposed to be able to use the Forerunner tech because they were descendants of the Forerunners, but now that the two were two different species (at war with each other at one point, no less) they have no reason to be able to use it if it's species specific. That's just the biggest inconsistency I see in the series though. : P

But I'm inclined to agree with Chimera30's post as well on this.
We know Covenant is able to use forerunner tech without humans but with humans it's much easier and faster.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2