Skip to main content
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
A random thought popped into my head the other day while playing halo 2, if you lived in the halo universe and you were hiding from a brute with no weapons and the brute also had no weapons. Could you escape the brute by swimming across a big river that’s over 20 feet deep? Or would a brute get you in the middle of the river?
It would come down to individuals, but yes, Brutes as a species most likely have the ability to swim. Given their size and overall muscle and bone density, it would be more difficult for them, even out of armor, to swim on planets with gravity similar to their homworld, but on a lower gravity planet like Earth, their size and muscle mass would allow them to swim much easier and faster than a human.

So no, you probably could not hide.
If they can't swim, then the amount of time they're seen near potentially fatal water features seems... ill-advised, to say the least.

It's worth noting if the simian design origins helped prompt the question, it used to commonly be believed that apes could not swim, but evidence to the contrary has emerged more recently; chimps and orangutans swim for example. They have to be taught, but there's no inherent physical reason they can't.
In my opinion they can swim.
Brutes can indeed swim depending on the brute were referring to just like... literally any other aquatic capable species like humans or senghillie, and it depends on each individual because like humanity some individuals can swim others cannot depending on anything from weight, to age.
Yes they can.
Yeah I would assume they can swim we've seem them near water and that doesn't make them able to swim but you would think that they would be near water if they did not have some sort of ability to swim
I mean I still have nightmares about the Brutes in Halo 3, jumping like 40 feet in the air. I wouldn't be surprised that they can swim also.
They are Strong and fast i don't see why not, the only problem could be if they fear water
It would come down to individuals, but yes, Brutes as a species most likely have the ability to swim. Given their size and overall muscle and bone density, it would be more difficult for them, even out of armor, to swim on planets with gravity similar to their homworld, but on a lower gravity planet like Earth, their size and muscle mass would allow them to swim much easier and faster than a human.

So no, you probably could not hide.
I wish I could see them flailing around. Even if they weren't drowning it'd be funny as heck
They are Strong and fast i don't see why not, the only problem could be if they fear water
That would be hilarious! You have a giant 9 foot tall ape like alien that’s running into gunfire trying to rip people apart but if they see water they start shaking in fear. Hahahah
Probably not while wearing their power armor
If you have seen "The Babysitter", you'd see that the Brutes are not afraid of water. So I assume they could swim, however their fur wouldnt like it lol
If you have seen "The Babysitter", you'd see that the Brutes are not afraid of water. So I assume they could swim, however their fur wouldnt like it lol
I am not familiar with a character called the babysitter. Where did it appear?
Once again, Halopedia is your friend and you should check there for answers to your question.

https://www.halopedia.org/The_Babysitter
Once again, Halopedia is your friend and you should check there for answers to your question.

https://www.halopedia.org/The_Babysitter
I agree, ManicalSpark. halopedia is a great place for information. And to answer your question HorridNutria953, "The Babysitter" is apart of Halo Legends on Netflix.
The brutes would probably just sink, they look like they weigh as much as a horse.
The brutes would probably just sink, they look like they weigh as much as a horse.
Not really. Brutes evolved on a planet with 2.1g, or just over twice that of Earth's gravity. Given their general structure, anatomy and the fact that they're predators means that they would have the ability to conduct basic swimming on their homeworld and other worlds lwith similar gravity without their armor. Brutes are much like humans in that we can pull off swimming despite our bodies not being designed to operate efficiently within water.

On planets with less gravity their muscle mass and density would hold them back even less and they'd be even more efficient at swimming without worrying about buoyancy.

Again it would come down to individuals possessing the knowledge, but given that they're predators with a pack-based hunting society and also being intelligent? I'm placing a safe bet on most Brutes knowing how to swim.
It's logical that they can swim. Though I must say...tit would probably be humorous to see a big Brute come out all soaking wet. Like a big, grey sponge or shaggy dog.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2