Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Can inconsistencies ever be cleared up?

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

Over the nearly 2 decades the franchise has been around there have been multiple games, novels, comics, mini-series, companion books, and other materials. However, with any big franchise/story, there can be inconsistencies and contradictions across the fiction. Halo has its share, as you can see them here
https://www.halopedia.org/List_of_inconsistencies_in_the_Halo_series

Do you think there's a chance at any point these inconsistencies can or will be cleared up, either through reprints, clearing it up online, and/or through other means? It's not the end of the world, but I like it when everything in a fictional universe lines up.
"There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page."

Think you meant to link this: https://www.halopedia.org/List_of_inconsistencies_in_the_Halo_series

And no, probably not. Once the lore gets so large, small inconsistencies are bound to occur. Clearing up every single one of them would be an unnecessary hassle and burden.
Only way is if they decide to do a reboot similar to how CoD Modern Warfare is currently going through
Most of the "inconsistencies" in Halo's lore are little more than typos, while a few are actually minor retcons, and they could all be easily fixed by releasing a new edition of the books with the corrections. This wouldn't change the substance of any of the books, and would scarcely change more than a few words per inconsistency. This could be done any time.
JNDreher wrote:
Most of the "inconsistencies" in Halo's lore are little more than typos, while a few are actually minor retcons, and they could all be easily fixed by releasing a new edition of the books with the corrections. This wouldn't change the substance of any of the books, and would scarcely change more than a few words per inconsistency. This could be done any time.
Would you be ok with reprints being done?
JNDreher wrote:
Agreed. Even things like when certain species from the Covenant first show up has more or less been handwaved away with “They’ve always been there” and hasn’t caused any lasting issues.
JNDreher wrote:
Do you mean something different when you say "reprints" from when I say "a new edition"? If so, please clarify?
If not, then absolutely. We already have "Ultimate Editions" of three novels, which were supposed to be what I've described, but additional issues have been discovered since they were released.
JNDreher wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
Do you mean something different when you say "reprints" from when I say "a new edition"? If so, please clarify?
If not, then absolutely. We already have "Ultimate Editions" of three novels, which were supposed to be what I've described, but additional issues have been discovered since they were released.
Yeah, it's weird. The problem of them being called Ultimate Editions makes it seem like it's the final, definitive edition and thus won't be reworked. As you said, there's still problems. Would be nice if they'd be able to put out a new edition that fixes all the problems, and they also do that with the other novels and anthologies.
JNDreher wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
Yeah, it's weird. The problem of them being called Ultimate Editions makes it seem like it's the final, definitive edition and thus won't be reworked. As you said, there's still problems. Would be nice if they'd be able to put out a new edition that fixes all the problems, and they also do that with the other novels and anthologies.
If they re-released all of the novels and anthologies with the corrections as the "Gold Standard Edition", I think that would be best... especially if they release all of the novels and anthologies at the same size, rather than alternating randomly between 17cm tall by 10.5cm wide, and 21cm tall by 14cm wide.
JNDreher wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
If they re-released all of the novels and anthologies with the corrections as the "Gold Standard Edition", I think that would be best... especially if they release all of the novels and anthologies at the same size, rather than alternating randomly between 17cm tall by 10.5cm wide, and 21cm tall by 14cm wide.
I saw they earlier this year reprinted The Fall of Reach, The Flood, and First Strike with Gallery Books. I wonder if those who've purchased them have noticed new changes or additions. Yeah, the different sizes can be annoying. Hope they can make them all 1 single size.
Odds are no they won't be cleared up. When you have a franchise that has been going this long through several different media sources and especially with a lot of different people handling it it's only kinda natural to have some inconsistentcies.
Well Inconsistencies have been in Halo's expanded universe since the beginning with the Fall of Reach. In Eric Nylund's Novel the MAC cannon was depolarized and unable to fire again where as in the game it isn't until an antimatter charge knocks out fire control for the main cannon (not to mention there was a bit of battle damage on the Autumn that didn't appear at the start of the game). This could be attributed to Eric Nylund writing the book before the game was out as apparently the Fall of Reach was released before Halo and the Xbox.

As far as retconning well that is the nature of media in this day and age. With so much fan-fiction becoming involved in the actual development through avenues of social media, instant feed back on what is liked and disliked without having to rely on focus groups and traditional marketing analysis programs, and so on what could have been canon one day could easily change as it is fiction and has no obligation to stay true to itself. Take a look at the Blue Ray version of Star Wars for more proof. That was more than just a typo or a editing blooper, the lore expanded and inconsistencies were present.
Some will, some wont. Depends on how easily done they are.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."