Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Cannon designs for the Halo Installations

OP DevilsArtisan

Hey guys,

I was researching into some specifics of the Halo Installations and the Arcs for a side project of mine in my spare time but I'm having a little trouble with it, hence me reaching out for help.
I'm trying to find or figure out some pictures or whatnot of cannon designs for the Halo Installations and whether or not their exterior hull is meant to be near identical or not.

I thought I'd gotten somewhere figuring this all out but the more I went into the universe, the less it made any sense. It almost feels like the designs for the halo rings are identical or different, or changing for whenever it suits whatever and I really just want something set in stone? Anyone know anything? It'd really help.

Thanks.
Just a note, that unless you happen to be talking about 'cannon' as a weapon and not in a lore sense, canon is spelt with only two n's.

The Halos are all very similar in design, though the original concepts designed by the Forerunners were far larger by comparison to what we see in the games. But as far as I'm aware only the surface details (landscape) changes. That being said, a monitor was able to eject the surface detail into space if required.
Cannon: A large, heavy piece of artillery, typically mounted on wheels, formerly used in warfare.

Canon: The material accepted as officially part of the story in the fictional universe of that story.

And have a link to Halopedia to help your research needs (since had you checked here first, you would have found out that the Halos are not all the same, including their physical size and the variation of their geography on their surfaces and why these differences are there): https://www.halopedia.org/
Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. By Canon I'm referring to more of the aesthetic design of the halo ring, in particular the exterior hull.
There seem to be several different references to the same halo ring looking different at different times with no indication which is currently 'cannon'.
Similarly, it seems like every halo ring looked slightly different yet some of them are meant to look the same?

I'm not completely sure but it seems extremely sloppy to me and I just wanted to clarify and see.

In Summary:
Yes I obviously stuffed up and meant 'canon' not 'cannon'. And what I'm specifically asking is more looking for the 'canon' imagery of the exterior hulls and designs of the halo rings as I cant seem to find any reference and it seems to change for no reason constantly.
Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. By Canon I'm referring to more of the aesthetic design of the halo ring, in particular the exterior hull.
There seem to be several different references to the same halo ring looking different at different times with no indication which is currently 'cannon'.
Similarly, it seems like every halo ring looked slightly different yet some of them are meant to look the same?

I'm not completely sure but it seems extremely sloppy to me and I just wanted to clarify and see.

In Summary:
Yes I obviously stuffed up and meant 'canon' not 'cannon'. And what I'm specifically asking is more looking for the 'canon' imagery of the exterior hulls and designs of the halo rings as I cant seem to find any reference and it seems to change for no reason constantly.
As ManiacalSpark suggested above, go to Halopedia and search each of the 7 rings of the Neoteric Array (that's the array we see in the games). Whatever Halopedia says, there's a 99% chance they are correct about the canonical representation of the Halo rings.

There has been some inconsistency over the years in portraying the rings. Like I think the halographic projections in H3's level "The Covenant" are different than previous depictions of the rings. Bungie wasn't overly concerned with keeping all their lore perfectly aligned, so there are quite a few "sloppy" bits of lore. Try asking about why Halo: Reach and The Fall of Reach are so different and you will see exactly how little Bungie actually cared about maintaining a consistent canon.
Thanks for the replies.
I think i somewhat understand where I'm heading with this now.
Thanks again for all your assistance, you've been most kind.
Thanks for the replies.
I think i somewhat understand where I'm heading with this now.
Thanks again for all your assistance, you've been most kind.
May the Halo godz guide you in your quest!
All official designs are technically canon.