Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 1-22-16: Armory Amore

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
"but it is possible there are vehicle-mounted configurations."
Ok, so this means we'll be seeing a Splinter Hog in the future right?
Or one mounted on a Phaeton variant.
Imagine it: Rapid-fire splinter turret-armed Phaeton. Sacrifices immediate firepower for awesome DPS.
Phaeton's the only vehicle in the game that doesn't have any variations yet.
----
On an unrelated note, I am definitely pleased to see the release of the RCS armored cruiser (as it means that I don't have to 3D-print off my own, using a spare CCS as a base). Already have an idea on how it's going to fit into my Covenant fleets... I think two per ORS is a good idea, no?
(4 CCS per ORS)
(2 ORS per CAS)
(4 CAS per (CSO plz))
And I am also pleased to see the addition of the Orion 'assault' carrier... though now I'm of the opinion that the Epoch's design is sorely lacking.
Quote:
Honestly, I'm now of the opinion that the two designs should be swapped. Shorten down the Epoch and turn it into the UNSC light carrier, while the Orion's design is now the fleet carrier (enlarged to Epoch size, of course).
Where the hell are you supposed to land on/in the Epoch anyway? Is that spot above the MAC cannon an entrance to a potential forward hangar bay?
I know that open spot in the lower hull is supposed to be a frigate docking space, but what the hell is that metal bar there for? (Probably to help maintain structural integrity.)
Note how I said 'light carrier', not 'assault carrier'. The design for the Epoch just doesn't seem to into what one would expect for a heavy carrier, given the design for the Orion...
---
Also, anybody notice that the Orion carrier looks like the MA5 assault rifle?
I wonder if the designer of the ship was watching old videos on [Youtube]/[Waypoint] while generating ideas.
In particular, this one.
Seeing the description for the Mark V Alpha. I do wonder what the main difference between the Halo 4 version and this version is.

Halo 4*Ignore the 2525 error, that was an old error on 343i's part.
Quote:
MARK V
  • Website description: The vintage Mjolnir Mark V system was first worn by SPARTAN-II super-soldiers in 2525, at the start of the Covenant War. Although many of those wearing it customized the system’s helmet and molding architecture, the standard line stridently remained one of the most common armor systems in the years that followed. Some contemporary Spartan-IVs have requisitioned this GEN1 system with modified components to meet stringent GEN2 standards.
  • In-game Description: Favored by some Spartan-IVs due to its classic simplicity and unparalleled reputation.
Halo 5
Quote:
MARK V ALPHA
    • Armor: The Mark V and its product-improved variant, the Mark V (B), were the first Mjolnir armors to fully integrate shield emitters and sufficient computing power for an onboard Smart AI. The MARK V ALPHA is a highly configurable revamp of the original.
    • Helmet: It is unclear who requested an integration check for the Mark V helmet with the latest GEN2 architecture, but engineers at Materials Group have been surprised at the MARK V ALPHA's near-parity with contemporary designs.

I mean I am struggling to see something to stand out between the two. :(
I honestly loved all the new info, but I'd like some further clarification on this part:

Quote:
High-bandwidth interfaces can be paired with advanced expert systems to augment – and even bypass – the human motor system, reducing the physiological stress of high-performance combat exoskeletons to levels that do not require extensive skeletal reinforcement. This innovation, initially a secondary line of research during Project: MJOLNIR’s early days, was crucial for SPARTAN-III and SPARTAN-IV.
The trend of downplaying the SPARTAN-IIIs' augmentations and capabilities is normally only associated with fans who don't know better, probably because Ghosts of Onyx came out so long ago that people don't remember what it actually had to say about the IIIs' enhancements. But it's a bit disconcerting to see a franchise writer promulgate that same misconception (even though the rest of said writer's work appears very competent).
Skeleborn wrote:
I honestly loved all the new info, but I'd like some further clarification on this part:

Quote:
High-bandwidth interfaces can be paired with advanced expert systems to augment – and even bypass – the human motor system, reducing the physiological stress of high-performance combat exoskeletons to levels that do not require extensive skeletal reinforcement. This innovation, initially a secondary line of research during Project: MJOLNIR’s early days, was crucial for SPARTAN-III and SPARTAN-IV.
The trend of downplaying the SPARTAN-IIIs' augmentations and capabilities is normally only associated with fans who don't know better, probably because Ghosts of Onyx came out so long ago that people don't remember what it actually had to say about the IIIs' enhancements. But it's a bit disconcerting to see a franchise writer promulgate that same misconception (even though the rest of said writer's work appears very competent).
Their not saying that, rather that the IIIs and IVs were designed to use more advanced tech from the start, rather than the IIs, which was secondary.

keep in mind the IIs and MJOLNIR were created at the same time. It's only natural that the IIIs and IVs would train with more advanced tech.
Skeleborn wrote:
Quote:
Their not saying that, rather that the IIIs and IVs were designed to use more advanced tech from the start, rather than the IIs, which was secondary.
keep in mind the IIs and MJOLNIR were created at the same time. It's only natural that the IIIs and IVs would train with more advanced tech.
The quoted part is saying that an innovation that eliminates the need for the wearer to have "extensive skeletal reinforcement" was "crucial" for the IIIs and IVs, which is implicitly saying that the IIIs needed that innovation to safely operate MJOLNIR, rather than being capable of doing so from the outset.

And the IIIs didn't train with more advanced tech from the start. Most of them used SPI until after the end of the war, but Noble Team's use of MJOLNIR (in addition to the description of their augmentations in GoO) proves that they were perfectly capable of operating it even before GEN2-era innovations.
Skeleborn wrote:
Skeleborn wrote:
Quote:
The quoted part is saying that an innovation that eliminates the need for the wearer to have "extensive skeletal reinforcement" was "crucial" for the IIIs and IVs, which is implicitly saying that the IIIs needed that innovation to safely operate MJOLNIR, rather than being capable of doing so from the outset.

And the IIIs didn't train with more advanced tech from the start. Most of them used SPI until after the end of the war, but Noble Team's use of MJOLNIR (in addition to the description of their augmentations in GoO) proves that they were perfectly capable of operating it even before GEN2-era innovations.
SPI was advanced in its own right.

And armor advances could render the need for more invasive surgeries obsolete. Keep in mind that the SIIIs got a more advanced set of augmentations that gave the same results with a 0% mortality rate.

i don't consider technological advances that render an invasive procedure uneeded to make the IIIs or IVs worse. It just proves that the UNSC had made advances in power armor technology since the first MJOLNIR model.
JJAB91 wrote:
I hope this doesn't mean we won't get an actual Mark V helmet.

Lets be honest here...that Mark V Alpha helmet is horribly messed up.
The Mark IV helmet is basically the same as the actual Mark V.
Halo 4's version is different enough from the Mark IV. Besides, when they've got Mark VI GEN 1 and GEN 2, and the multiple different helmets that are literally just different versions of EVA, I don't see why classic Mark V couldn't make an appearance.

I even feel like 343 knows it looks bad. They pretty heavily advertised Mark IV back when it was coming out, they've barely shown Mark V in comparison. That's because their Mark IV was a home run in terms of designs; their Mark V is horrible. It's a shame, because they absolutely nailed it in Halo 4.
Grim, will we ever find out about the fictional basis for the reviving in Halo 5?
Disolus wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:

Halo 4's version is different enough from the Mark IV. Besides, when they've got Mark VI GEN 1 and GEN 2, and the multiple different helmets that are literally just different versions of EVA, I don't see why classic Mark V couldn't make an appearance.

I even feel like 343 knows it looks bad. They pretty heavily advertised Mark IV back when it was coming out, they've barely shown Mark V in comparison. That's because their Mark IV was a home run in terms of designs; their Mark V is horrible. It's a shame, because they absolutely nailed it in Halo 4.
The armor part of the Halo 5 Mark V looks right and it's actually more faithful to the Halo CE version than the inferior CEA redesign used in Halo 4. It's just unfortunate that the helmet looks all wrong.
Skeleborn wrote:
Disolus wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:

The armor part of the Halo 5 Mark V looks right and it's actually more faithful to the Halo CE version than the inferior CEA redesign used in Halo 4. It's just unfortunate that the helmet looks all wrong.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, but at least Halo 4's version had the ammo pouch.
MPMixx wrote:
That splinter turret atricle. Splinter hogs confirmed?!!??!!

Anyway where did the images of the Spartan with Raijin hemet using a mounted splinter turret come from? The skybox looks a lot like Escape from A.R.C. but i don't recall being able to call in mounted Splinter turrets.
Foreshadowing of a new Map maybe.
I also think that this article might be foreshadowing future "corporate spartans" possibly controlled or employed by The Created. Perhaps in Halo 6 we will have human enemies in the form of enemy spartans.
I also think that this article might be foreshadowing future "corporate spartans" possibly controlled or employed by The Created. Perhaps in Halo 6 we will have human enemies in the form of enemy spartans.
baby steps maybe? start with warzone marines, then those corporate security on meridian.

It almost seems like the UEG could have a hydra moment.
baby steps maybe? start with warzone marines, then those corporate security on meridian.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?
Spread of corporate security, plus the guardians, independent colonies.

It almost seems like the UNSC and UEG are fracturing, outside from insurrectionists, and inside from these corporations that promote independent colonies. The massive social change (perhaps collapse) that the guardians threaten could lead to a massive power vacuum that these actors would fill.
Disolus wrote:
Skeleborn wrote:
Disolus wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, but at least Halo 4's version had the ammo pouch.
The way they changed the ammo belt in the H5 version is pretty weird and unnecessary, but I like most of the rest (except for the helmet). Some of the proportions are also off (the forearms are too thick) and there's some unnecessary added detail especially in the chest piece. I'd say it gets the classic design maybe 90% right, but it's closer than the CEA version which never sat well with me.
Skeleborn wrote:
Disolus wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:

Its missing the ammo pouches which is what made me really like the Mark V armor. The newer armors from Halo 4 and Halo 5 don't have these smaller details anymore :c I miss the extra bits like ammo pouches, outward censors etc. that we had in Reach.
JJAB91 wrote:
Skeleborn wrote:
Disolus wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:

Its missing the ammo pouches which is what made me really like the Mark V armor. The newer armors from Halo 4 and Halo 5 don't have these smaller details anymore :c I miss the extra bits like ammo pouches, outward censors etc. that we had in Reach.
Yeah, 343i's designs are in general a lot more toy-like than the very grounded ones from Reach. There's a lot of detail but it's not functional detail, the proportions are often weird, and a lot of the shapes have this weird rounded plastic-y quality to them.
That RCS class armored cruiser looks amazing!
cant wait for the new maps
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2