Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 1-29-16: Brute Force

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This week in Canon Fodder, we learn a bit more about a forgotten Chieftain.

Read more here...

<3
Grim
We were getting worried Grim!
You know me. When I make a promise...
You know me. When I make a promise...
Too true, now when are we going to have that private tour you promised me? ;)
The article on the Dreadnaught is 100% contradictory to everything we've been told before in the fiction with regards to the Great Apothtea on Janjur Qom. It was supposed to have been formed when the keyship left the planet, ripping a huge chunk of it away that would go on to form the foundation of High Charity.
LFXx3273 wrote:
The article on the Dreadnaught is 100% contradictory to everything we've been told before in the fiction with regards to the Great Apothtea on Janjur Qom.
How so?
LFXx3273 wrote:
The article on the Dreadnaught is 100% contradictory to everything we've been told before in the fiction with regards to the Great Apothtea on Janjur Qom.
How so?
Looks like he expanded his comment.

However what is interesting to note is the Dreadnought was not mentioned had having been destroyed...hm...
LFXx3273 wrote:
The article on the Dreadnaught is 100% contradictory to everything we've been told before in the fiction with regards to the Great Apothtea on Janjur Qom. It was supposed to have been formed when the keyship left the planet, ripping a huge chunk of it away that would go on to form the foundation of High Charity.
No, Grim is correct.

Halo: Broken Circle
Chapter 6, Page 95

"And the crater - it was once the resting place of the Dreadnought, partly submerged below Apothtea's surface, but it was now the mark of the great ship's ascension; it was the scar where the Reformists had taken a god's fistful of the world as the mountain-high vessel rose to meet the stars."

Janjur Qom

"As the massive ship had been partially buried below the Great Apothtea - a vast blue sea - a sizable chunk of Janjur Qom was ripped from the planet in the escape. The ocean rushed to fill in the resulting crater."

JJAB91 wrote:
However what is interesting to note is the Dreadnought was not mentioned had having been destroyed...hm...
I also find that interesting. I'm also curious Grim, was this the Keyship that the Librarian told Chant-to-Green to take with her at the end of Silentium?
Love the new details on the Ranger armour and Cethegus. I never knew the other Brutes wouldn't attack you if you fought him one on one, so many secrets in these games. The ranger's design connections seem so obvious now.

Any chance we'll get more renders from various games? They're always great to see.
I love it when these really minor characters get fleshed out. Thanks Grim
I was hoping to get the ship's Forerunner name (like Deep Reverence or Mantle's Approach), too bad.

However, Deep Links is a really, really good idea. I would have never expected to see this kind of information. More lore for unnamed or rarely seen characters = good.
I wonder, these Deep Links characters, how long have they actually been around? What I mean is, did you guys start adding in this detail recently, or was some of it made by Bungie when they were developing these games? Obviously the part actually seen in Halo 3 was done by Bungie, but did Cethegus' name and background exist, or is that a new creation?
Yes! My question was answered! Grim I'm sending you a 1000 Moa Burgers! ^_^
Yet another great read, thanks Grim!

On a side note, ever think you'd be able to cover some more technical stuff about Covenant ships? Maybe things like crew complement? I was hoping Halo: Fleet Battles would give us some info on it, but alas, it didn't. Just curious to see if info like that is on the radar.
I am utterly speechless. We actually got a Canon Fodder that included the Brutes. Bravo. Very nice. Please, keep it up.

This is the first Canon Fodder, in a long time, that I have read that I was not annoyed with.
Nice information on that chieftain! That's why the brutes didn't attack! I hope these will be very common, I like the deep links and hopefully we'll get one for the reach field marshal.

The ranger helmet reminds me of an amalgamation of assault helmet and halo 4 ranger.

so doesn't say the keyship was destroyed eh? Also did it get a bit bigger?
Finally we can see Jiralhanae again, thank you Grim! I wish you could analyze more the Covenant species (IE. yanmee)
erickyboo wrote:

so doesn't say the keyship was destroyed eh? Also did it get a bit bigger?
Keyship actually got smaller. Old size was estimated to be 14km in height.
LFXx3273 wrote:
No, Grim is correct.
Halo: Broken Circle
Chapter 6, Page 95
"And the crater - it was once the resting place of the Dreadnought, partly submerged below Apothtea's surface, but it was now the mark of the great ship's ascension; it was the scar where the Reformists had taken a god's fistful of the world as the mountain-high vessel rose to meet the stars."
Janjur Qom
"As the massive ship had been partially buried below the Great Apothtea - a vast blue sea - a sizable chunk of Janjur Qom was ripped from the planet in the escape. The ocean rushed to fill in the resulting crater."
Apologies for the double post.

Wait. Huh. So it's crash on Janjur Qom excavated the original Apothtea, while digging it deep within the structure of the planet... and then when it took off again, it tore the hell out of that particular area yet again, expanding the size of Apothtea?
Holy crap. And this is from a non-military/non-combat Forerunner vessel.

I wonder if the Babd Catha vessel would have been able to fly again if the UNSC had tried to get it up and running.
Thanks for the great cannon fodder, Grim! They are getting better and better. :D
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2