Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 10-2-15: Designs of the Times

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
After recently watching the new Halo 5 campaign level "Enemy Lines" I've noticed that after the Arbiter ordered his Banshee wings to engaged the Covenant Kraken, the Sword Banshees have a unique insignia on the comms HUD. I've also noticed this same insignia on Mahkee 'Chava display in Hero Reborn. This leads me to believe that this is the Official symbol for the Swords of Sanghelios. If this is the case, can you please post their symbol on the next Cannon Fodder article. Thanks!
After recently watching the new Halo 5 campaign level "Enemy Lines" I've noticed that after the Arbiter issued his Banshee wings to engaged the Covenant Kraken, the Sword Banshees have a unique insignia on the comms HUD. I've also noticed this same insignia on Mahkee 'Chava display in Hero Reborn. This led me to believe that this is the Official symbol for the Swords of Sanghelios. If this is the case, can you please post their symbol on the next Cannon Fodder article. Thanks!
It's also on a ton of flags in the mission Swords of Sanghelios near the Elder Council Chamber.
JJAB91 wrote:
TGLT BL4cK wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:
I do miss when covenant tech was more purple. This new trend of replacing everything purple with blue worries me.
That's because the Sangheili always saw purple as blue...
Yeah, however thats irrelevant from a game design and artistic standpoint.

Also they don't see purple as blue they see it as a shade of blue.
Blue is not a particular colour. There are a ton of colours you call blue. Same for purple, red, orange, green, brown, yellow etc.
Also while covenant tech is getting bluer to our eyes you have the copper-red Swords of Sanghelios vehicles too. The San'Shyuum are gone and with them goes the purple of the covenant. Sure the Sangheili won't stop using it but not all of their tech will be purple from now on.
I'm not going to try and act like I'm some expert on how the military structures its combat units, but if Kelly is Blue-Two, wouldn't that mean that she's considered the second in command of Blue? If so, that's definitely odd, given how Fred's been leading Blue for years.
I'm not going to try and act like I'm some expert on how the military structures its combat units, but if Kelly is Blue-Two, wouldn't that mean that she's considered the second in command of Blue? If so, that's definitely odd, given how Fred's been leading Blue for years.
The numbered callsigns on Blue Team have never really had anything to do with each characters' actual military rank, or the "order" of who is in command of the team. If the Chief were to fall in battle, Fred-104 would take over as leader regardless of what place on Blue Team he was assigned. Kelly-087 is almost always designated Blue-Two because she has a particular talent for supporting her team leaders when in the field (morally and tactically).
So the storyline of the Covenant not knowing how to do anything without Engineers has been totally dropped?
Since in this game they are pulling out new stuff left and right all over the place.
Well even Broken Circle showed that the Elites had personal trained as engineers. But it still possible that for the 1st year they had not enough skilled labor to replace the Engineers till enough Elites were trained as such.

The Kilo-Five Trilogy is 3 - 4 years before Halo 4. Plenty of time to get the ball rolling. Especially for the Colonies that had no access to Engineer species.
The numbers in the Type-XX designations refers to the year they were encountered by the UNSC, supposedly. So, the new Banshee and Ghosts were likely created or being worked on during Kilo-5.

I think 343 is just going back on the whole "The Sangheili are stupid!" thing Kilo-5 loved to shove in your face, and honestly, I can't blame them.
Kelly-087 is almost always designated Blue-Two because she has a particular talent for supporting her team leaders when in the field (morally and tactically).
What? What sense does that make?
Kelly-087 is almost always designated Blue-Two because she has a particular talent for supporting her team leaders when in the field (morally and tactically).
What? What sense does that make? That's like saying Kat's Noble-Two because she makes some very good chili.
Like I said, it's not about rank or who is "next in line" to lead. Kelly is the best Spartan when it comes to acting as a right-hand for her team leaders (keeping up team morale, dispersing orders, executing plans, etc) - therefore she is Blue-Two. This is how it's always been portrayed in the books.

Also Noble Team's numbered callsigns weren't exactly structured by rank either. Jorge-052 was a Chief Warrant Officer and was designated Noble-Five, while Emile-A239 was just a Warrant Officer but still assigned to be Noble-Four. And while Kat was technically the second highest in rank on the team, her assignment as Noble-Two stems more from how she was Carter's oldest teammate and partner in the field - just like Kelly is to the Chief.
So the storyline of the Covenant not knowing how to do anything without Engineers has been totally dropped?
Since in this game they are pulling out new stuff left and right all over the place.
Well even Broken Circle showed that the Elites had personal trained as engineers. But it still possible that for the 1st year they had not enough skilled labor to replace the Engineers till enough Elites were trained as such.

The Kilo-Five Trilogy is 3 - 4 years before Halo 4. Plenty of time to get the ball rolling. Especially for the Colonies that had no access to Engineer species.
I think 343 is just going back on the whole "The Sangheili are stupid!" thing Kilo-5 loved to shove in your face, and honestly, I can't blame them.
It's obvious that the post war models were being worked upon just as the covenant collapsed and slowly replaced the older models which were slowly depleted. Eg the SoS have depleted many of their old banshees and relied on capturing supply depots and defections to be kept well equipped with Hesduros pattern banshees.
When I talked to a 343 executive at Gencon they said that Karen Travis didn't do enough research when she wrote the Kilo-5 trilogy and that Sangheili weren't nearly as economically ruined by the schism as her books imply.
Kalawaki wrote:
When I talked to a 343 executive at Gencon they said that Karen Travis didn't do enough research when she wrote the Kilo-5 trilogy and that Sangheili weren't nearly as economically ruined by the schism as her books imply.
Do you actually have proof?
Kalawaki wrote:
Do you actually have proof?
If by that you mean "did you record the conversation" then no, I do not.

I'm simply sharing the experience. The fact that we have Sangheili not only actively improving the technology the covenant had been using but even designing brand new warships should be proof enough.
Kalawaki wrote:
Didn't KT say she didn't do any research before writing the books? I remember her saying how she likes to go in blind.
JJAB91 wrote:
I do miss when covenant tech was more purple. This new trend of replacing everything purple with blue worries me.
The phantom in Halo 3 was pretty much blue with a purple hue, and, of course, the wraith is blue.
rM xNimble wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:
The phantom in Halo 3 was pretty much blue with a purple hue, and, of course, the wraith is blue.
This is not blue.
JJAB91 wrote:
Kalawaki wrote:
Didn't KT say she didn't do any research before writing the books? I remember her saying how she likes to go in blind.
Id buy that since the books, while well written, left a lot of holes in the plotline and lore. That and the fact that her whole interpretation of Halo lore was crap and biased as hell, making ONI seem omnipotent and justified in their actions vs the Elites, and blatent disregard for standing lore on the creation of the Spartan program. ONI signed off on every aspect of the S2 program and she wrote it as if Halsey did everything on her own without Parangaski's approval. The whole trilogy was laughable at best
JJAB91 wrote:
rM xNimble wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:
This is not blue.
I see a lot of blue hue but that's just my eyes take on it
The numbered callsigns on Blue Team have never really had anything to do with each characters' actual military rank, or the "order" of who is in command of the team. If the Chief were to fall in battle, Fred-104 would take over as leader regardless of what place on Blue Team he was assigned. Kelly-087 is almost always designated Blue-Two because she has a particular talent for supporting her team leaders when in the field (morally and tactically).
This is true but Spartans treat each other very equally in terms of team commands. If it was based upon standard military structure Chief would not be the Team Leader of Blue Team since he is only enlisted (E-8) and Fred is (O-1 or 0-2) as Lt, to my knowledge it hasn't been said exactly what rank he is officially, would actually be the Team Leader of Blue team. Should something happen in the field the chain of command dictates that the highest ranking person is in charge all the was down to the highest ranking Pvt by time in grade.
JJAB91 wrote:
rM xNimble wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:
This is not blue.
Halo Reach Tank is Blue.
JJAB91 wrote:
rM xNimble wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:
This is not blue.
Halo Reach Tank is Blue.
But were talking about the Halo 3 wraith.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3