Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 10-8-15: A Time to Give Tanks

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This week in Canon Fodder, we take a look at some upgraded UNSC tech and the new trailer for the Halo: The Fall of Reach animated series.

Read more here...

<3
Grim
18 days till 343 owns my soul.

Dear Grim, will CF Snapshot return?
1. I love me some Scorpion.

2. I want to see Halo Wars Mark IV in Halo 5. Even if it has to be DLC.

3. Aww, does this confirm Mendez was never part of Orion and therefor not a Spartan I? I was hoping he would be, that way it begins the tradition of "Only Spartans train Spartans".

Edit

4. I like that Chief's helmet looks similar to his Halo 4/5 helmet. You can see what Cortana took as inspiration from this design when she modified the Chief's Mark VI armor. I'd kind of like to see this helmet in Halo 5 as well, although it might be a little redundant if Chief's modified Mark VI is already in there.
It will; things have been slammed around here for obvious reasons, so after launch we plan on catching our breath while catching up on other features like CF Snapshots. That will mean finalizing the ones we've already done and then starting up some new ones.
It will; things have been slammed around here for obvious reasons, so after launch we plan on catching our breath while catching up on other features like CF Snapshots. That will mean finalizing the ones we've already done and then starting up some new ones.
Awesome to hear 😀!

Could I be a Dirty little Rascal and try my luck and ask... Who was the person detailing the events and giving Locke the green light In the most resent Live Action trailer? 💋💋
Yay! New canon fodder! I like these new vehicles. I wonder what kind of stuff those ONI vehicles use.
The new scorpion tank looks fantastic!
Yay for the new entries! And hehehe, the picture you hose for Sam has the hole.

It would be nice to get big picture high quality renders of the vehicles at some point. Because they're good looking and halopedia and stuff. My one complaint about halo 4 render with the pelican is that the angles weren't as great, it looked squished, but that was the angle.
I feel kind of sad that vehicle variants seem to be entirely just different paint jobs in terms of visual difference. The "more armored mongoose" is identical to the gungoose minus the guns and yellow instead of green.
I feel kind of sad that vehicle variants seem to be entirely just different paint jobs in terms of visual difference. The "more armored mongoose" is identical to the gungoose minus the guns and yellow instead of green.
Think you miss read, the variant pictured is a heavy duty variant of the M274. They look extremely different.
So the new Gauss Warthog is the M12B. I'm coining the name Boss 'Hog.
Awesome Canon Fodder as always. Nice to see a visual on both Mendez and Sam. And wow, Sam is tall, like REALLY tall.

Anyway, I have a question regarding the Fall of Reach (novel): When the UNSC Commonwealth was engaging the Unrelenting, it fired a MAC round at a velocity of 30km/s, while in an earlier scene the Commonwealth was moving at 27,000km/s. Is this an error or relative to the Commonwealth? Because otherwise whenever a UNSC frigate is firing its MAC while moving, it would crash into its own round.
Good lord, Sam was massive. He's over a foot taller than Gabe Thorne!
Also, boy does he look young. Really reinforces that he's just a kid, and makes his death hurt a good bit more.
Think you miss read, the variant pictured is a heavy duty variant of the M274. They look extremely different.
The variants of same type (like Rocket Hog to Rocket Hog or Chain Gun Hog to Chain Gun Hog) are distinguished by gameplay differences and paintjobs. New geo would not really be a super efficient use of resources if you really think about it, especially just for variants such as these. All of the Mongoose/Gungoose models currently in Halo 5: Guardians use the M290 platform.

Grim
So the new Gauss Warthog is the M12B. I'm coining the name Boss 'Hog.
Whoa, triple entendre! you win, sir.
Awesome Canon Fodder as always. Nice to see a visual on both Mendez and Sam. And wow, Sam is tall, like REALLY tall.

Anyway, I have a question regarding the Fall of Reach (novel): When the UNSC Commonwealth was engaging the Unrelenting, it fired a MAC round at a velocity of 30km/s, while in an earlier scene the Commonwealth was moving at 27,000km/s. Is this an error or relative to the Commonwealth? Because otherwise whenever a UNSC frigate is firing its MAC while moving, it would crash into its own round.
Well, I believe the actually the frigate won´t crash into the round. Unfortunately, I haven’t read the book but I am very aware of the battle development and its outcome.
There are two ways to see it I believe.
The first one is considering the frigate as our frame in movement and the MAC round as the event taking place within that frame. Using Galilean transformation, the speed of the round for an observer outside the moving frame (perhaps the Unrelenting) will be the sum of both speeds. So it would be moving at 27030km/s.
The second one, considering the frigate’s velocity as a relativistic value of 0.09c (which is 27,000km/s) and the initial speed of the MAC round as 1x10x^-4 without acceleration, since at the time it leaves the barrel it has have a constant speed. Using the Lorentz transformation for speed seen from the outside frame (the Unrelenting perhaps) the round is moving at 0.09009 c, which is faster than the frigate. Of course, this is assuming all speeds are constants.
If you compare both speed from both methods they won’t be the same, it depends on which approach you give to the problem. Anyways, you can see that the speed of the round is actually higher to the one of the frigate.

On the other hand. Awesome post Grim!! I knew it!! It was a different scorpion. It looks nice. Only a few days remaining.
[me @ seeing Sam-034 now has an official bio on here]

Great stuff as always, Mr. Grim. Looking forward to trying out some of those new vehicle variants in Warzone. Good to see Chief Mendez get some recognition too. Also I like that Fred, Kelly, and Linda got updated profile pictures. :)

However, as an artist, I now find myself in a bind - so if it's possible for you to answer this question I'd really appreciate it. I like to keep my drawings of Blue Team as close to what is currently-canon as possible, but even with these new pictures to go off of I'm still having a hard time pinning down each member's appearance. Because every version of them I've seen thus far (from the live action stuff, to the comics, to animation) seems to be pretty different. So I guess what I'm asking is, what should I base my drawings on in order to most accurately capture their likenesses - their appearance in this new feature by Sequence, the comics, their voice actors, a combination?
Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks for your time!
Wait. Mendez's bio says he was reunited with the surviving Spartan-IIs after leaving Onyx at the Voi memorial. But the S-IIs were there all along for the Onyx/Shield World events...

Also, I'm kind of bothered by the fact the new depiction of Mendez has a beard. That's definitely non-regulation. Especially when the very same article points out the fact that "Mendez has an unwavering sense of discipline and always strove to set a perfect example for those he trained. [...] he [...] paid strict attention to his appearance and physical fitness."

Kind of disappointed he wasn't involved with project ORION either, but that was just a headcanon of mine.
I like the new Scorpion, I'm just sad that it doesn't literally look like a scorpion anymore. They could have situated the main gun further back or left the boxy shell ejector thing on the back. It just doesn't have that "claws out front, coiled tail" profile anymore.

I love how armored it looks though.
Speaking of the new scorpion's design, does the new placement of the gunner means its a 1-pilot only always now?

The old one used to require a gunner and a driver (unless you were an ODST apparently).
Cool. Thanks Grim. :)
Speaking of the new scorpion's design, does the new placement of the gunner means its a 1-pilot only always now?

The old one used to require a gunner and a driver (unless you were an ODST apparently).
I believe it is still a 2-person vehicle, only the gunner is positioned more in the center now. The picture shows the driver hatch with a vertical white line going through it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2