3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
CIA391 wrote:
CIA391 wrote:
This made me a lil curious. Do monitors all use the same type of shell or are there different varients for different situations. Seeing that 031 article really made me think about that. Simply cause of 343's different look thoughout the games.
I think it's more of a design retconning. See how Exuberant have the new design of Spark and Penitent in Halo 2 Anniversary.
Well that is my thought. Its just a curious thought regardless. :)
I always assumed the monitors could reconfigure their physical forms into various basic sets of prerequisite designs like most Forerunner technology can, specifically infrastructure, more so than it being an aesthetic retconn.
The Monitor of Installation 00 was able to change its shape
Wow, I never would have guessed that the Brigantine was so big. It's neat that these "new" ships are actually old ships that are being used because they have no other choice. Now I look forward to seeing more on those UNSC ships. I'm still digging that Valiant-class.
So is that Exuberant Witness article canonically correct or just another in-universe article not really worth much in the way of having reliable information?
Depends, is this another passive-aggressive complaint or an actual query meant to foster legitimate conversation?
It is a query and complaint. I like the Universe articles at the end of every Cannon Fodder, learning new things about Halo's story is enjoyable and I look forward to it every week. Seeing the eccentric nature of a Monitor has as much to do with their isolation as it does with their personality may not be an earth-shattering revelation, but it is still a cool bit of information to know. Still, I want to be able to know the information is actually accurate. Yet we had a big example of an article for a certain character that said one thing about their fate, which wasn't true, for years only to be changed with the claim that since it was "in-universe" it was okay. Truthfully I don't worry too much about Witness' article having any similar problems, but I would be lying if the Universe articles are a little less reliable to me.
I feel like this is entirely bad example to use. As far as you and everyone else were concerned, Cortana did sacrifice herself (in fact, her finding away to avert destruction in no way means that she did not "sacrifice herself to save the Chief."). And you mean to tell me you would have rather been told the "whole story"/"truth" from the very beginning? I mean, why wouldn't we just tell the end of everything right from the very beginning?

Cortana's entry will be getting it's own update as well in the near future, which will reflect newer information that came to light in H5.

Remember that you not liking it doesn't mean it isn't the right approach. <3
I've even stated that the Cortana we're seeing isn't her at all, but that fragment we saw fighting her in Forward Unto Dawn, plus the fact that The Gravemind is known full well to turn A.I.s against their creators...

The emergence of a Gravemind enables the Flood to employ a form of philosophical corruption the Forerunners referred to as the logic plague. This makes it possible for the Flood to infect not only biological beings, but also AIs, by using a series of techniques ranging from highly persuasive, convincing arguments to what appeared to be a sophisticated form of software infection transmitted via self-replicating patterns of code. The most notable victim of this manipulation was Mendicant Bias, who succumbed to the Gravemind's arguments after an exchange lasting nearly 43 years. The Gravemind also nearly succeeded in subjugating the UNSC smart AI Cortana by force, but she was recovered by John-117 before it could do so.
This corruption can also be applied to organic beings; although the Gravemind most commonly operates by absorbing all sentient biological lifeforms, it instead chose to corrupt the Ur-Didact in order to use him as a tool to induce strife within Forerunner society. Much like AI corruption in certain occasions (namely, in the case of Cortana), this process involved a direct and agonizing invasion of the Didact's mind as well as devious exploitation of his existing attitudes and beliefs, leaving his psyche severely disturbed.
Cortana is very much working with Gravemind or a Gravemind behind the scenes.
Really cool lore on the ships, Grim, have good holiday with your family in Florida.
Also I would like to mention one thing that I'll agree with Dr. Halsey on, the changing of the Forward Unto Dawn into a Strident Class ship, the ship is large enough as is and didn't need the redesign...

So what was the point of changing the FuD's look, but please don't tell me it was just for the sake of gameplay, because lore buffs such as myself or Dr. Halsey really find that changes like that can ruin the experience...
Grimm! Yay! I actually didn't expect an entry today! So taken by surprise!

Yay for the ships!!!
They are really big! I was really not expecting those sizes! The Carrack? Some 3km! The Brigantine, 6km or so! Even the Blockade Runner is big! The only small one is the Man'O'War and it seems to pack some firepower or something.

I'd be really interested in seeing more technical specifications on them. The Carrack seems to be like a Phoenix-class turned into warship. I wonder how these ships compare to the covenant ones. Did they undergo refit? Upgrades to keep with the times? Shield strenght to match the post human war field? I'd be great seeing them pitted against other ships. I wonder how much punishment all ships can take actually. An early human covenant war MAC packs 64 kilotons of kinetic energy. I'm assuming the post war heavy coil MACs pack way more. I wonder their recharge speed, fall of reach animated made it seem like it still fired fast. And I wonder how many for the shields of all sangheili and covenant ships to buckle. All these technical details, I want to know. If there was a thousand Page long manual for the ships? I would probably read it and really really really like it and it'd be amazing and great!

And that size comparison image is great! Maybe it will help Stephen Loftus!

Hey, Carrack vs Resurgent-class Star Destroyer
wink wink
Also I would like to mention one thing that I'll agree with Dr. Halsey on, the changing of the Forward Unto Dawn into a Strident Class ship, the ship is large enough as is and didn't need the redesign...

So what was the point of changing the FuD's look, but please don't tell me it was just for the sake of gameplay, because lore buffs such as myself or Dr. Halsey really find that changes like that can ruin the experience...
At the end of the day, it is s game and that comes first before lore whether we like it or not and there are some changes we just have to live with.

The most likely reason they "changed" its look is because that's the Frigate model they had to work with. The original Dawn model was too old and not detailed enough to use and they weren't going to make a new half a Charon for one scene that was only a few seconds long. So they cut one of their new, more detailed Frigates in half and called it a day. This is no different than when we saw the Pillar of Autumn as a Marathon-class in Halo 2. It wasn't a retcon or anything like that, it was just Bungie using what they had for a short scene. The Forward Unto Dawn in the canon is still a Charon-class.
Thanks for the entry Grim and happy holidays!!! May I ask,do you perfer the new ships over the old?
I really like the Sangheili Man-O-War ship. It looks just like a type of pterodactyl (Tapejara). Leave it to the elites (dinosaurs) to make a spaceship that looks like an extinct flying reptile.
Whoa it's 2025 already? ;)
Seeing these Ships again is like getting coal for Christmas, especially seeing them alongside the classic designs in the comparison
Well these are classic Sangheili designs, and I thought that was pretty cool to see. It makes a lot of sense now, with the Covenant gone you can steal ships or use what you had.
You could write a thousand page essay on the origin and lore of Covenant ship designs and I still wouldn't care. My main issue is that, like everything designed for the Covenant post-Halo Reach (with the exception of that Cruiser in Fleet Battles), look ugly as sin.
...in your opinion.
I think they look great! I look forward to these posts.
Andycu5 wrote:
Whoa it's 2025 already? ;)
LOL fixed now. :-)
Thanks for the entry Grim and happy holidays!!! May I ask,do you perfer the new ships over the old?
I mean, it's hard to make a big broad-stroke call. In general, I prefer the "classic" Covenant fleet aesthetics. But I like new stuff as well. The Man O' War has a very cool and unique look, the Brigantine is just massive, and the Blockade Runner actually has very cool lines. To me, nothing beats ol' fish-hook though ;-)
Holy -Yoink- the Brigantine class ships are HUGE. They are bigger than CAS-Class Assault Carriers even bigger than the Infinity!

In fact all these ships are abnormally large, is there a canon reason for this? o:
I mean, it's hard to make a big broad-stroke call. In general, I prefer the "classic" Covenant fleet aesthetics. But I like new stuff as well. The Man O' War has a very cool and unique look, the Brigantine is just massive, and the Blockade Runner actually has very cool lines. To me, nothing beats ol' fish-hook though ;-)
Now if only Santa's sleigh were on that list... lol. Happy Holidays!!!
I for one love the ships. The big one reminds me of the leviathan short film that debuted a few months back and I like the sangheili aesthetic.
Again, all down to opinion. Love that you enjoy the look, just as it's totally cool for others to think they're ugly as sin. :-) I mean goodness, even I have opinions on my most/least favorite designs.

Grim
Yeah, but the dude abides. And I don't know about you but I take comfort in that.
I for one love the ships. The big one reminds me of the leviathan short film that debuted a few months back and I like the sangheili aesthetic.
Again, all down to opinion. Love that you enjoy the look, just as it's totally cool for others to think they're ugly as sin. :-) I mean goodness, even I have opinions on my most/least favorite designs.

Grim
Personally I'm not a fan of all the new(for us) Sangheili based Covenant designs, I feel the bulbous, insectoid style doesn't mesh well with the concept of the Covenant and isn't as pleasing to the eye as the Prophet based sleek, elegant designs of old.(Plus the old ships have more purple! Purple ftw!)

However I think that other guy is being rude and while everyone is entitled to their own opinions about this change is visual design there is no need to be rude about it. I just as easily respect your different opinion about it Grim :p happy holidays
JJAB91 wrote:

Grim
Personally I'm not a fan of all the new(for us) Sangheili based Covenant designs, I feel the bulbous, insectoid style doesn't mesh well with the concept of the Covenant and isn't as pleasing to the eye as the Prophet based sleek, elegant designs of old.(Plus the old ships have more purple! Purple ftw!)

However I think that other guy is being rude and while everyone is entitled to their own opinions about this change is visual design there is no need to be rude about it. I just as easily respect your different opinion about it Grim :p happy holidays
Eh, it's no big deal lol. Not remotely enough to have feathers ruffled over :-)
So is that Exuberant Witness article canonically correct or just another in-universe article not really worth much in the way of having reliable information?
Depends, is this another passive-aggressive complaint or an actual query meant to foster legitimate conversation?
It is a query and complaint. I like the Universe articles at the end of every Cannon Fodder, learning new things about Halo's story is enjoyable and I look forward to it every week. Seeing the eccentric nature of a Monitor has as much to do with their isolation as it does with their personality may not be an earth-shattering revelation, but it is still a cool bit of information to know. Still, I want to be able to know the information is actually accurate. Yet we had a big example of an article for a certain character that said one thing about their fate, which wasn't true, for years only to be changed with the claim that since it was "in-universe" it was okay. Truthfully I don't worry too much about Witness' article having any similar problems, but I would be lying if the Universe articles are a little less reliable to me.
I think its a legitimate question. I mean some of your articles still say Cortana is dead or sacrificed herself yet she isn't and was never really killed as frankie's even said this was planned from the start yet we still don't know the status of the didact and his universe article doesn't say he's dead.
That's actually simple they wanted to keep the lid on that for as long as possible and knowing she survived would have ruined the ending of halo 4, of the list of things to complain about that's honestly low on the totem pole.
" and knowing she survived would have ruined the ending of halo 4"

So Halo 5 ruined the ending of Halo 4?

Sounds about right :P
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6