1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. ...
  6. 6
CIA391 wrote:
Onyx81 wrote:
Also, something I just realized, there's a Combat Cryptum on Genesis and Exuberant mentions Warrior-Servants have never set foot on Genesis. So, is there a Combat Cryptum factory there?
Well, it could be a technicality. While Warrior-Servants might not have set foot on the planet, Builder Security probably did and a lot of them were once Warrior-Servants. Even though they had been affiliated with Warrior-Servants before, she might not have counted them because they were Builders at the time and Genesis is a Builder Facility. So perhaps the Combat Cryptum belonged to Builder Security?
Well colour might mean something.

Red being an Warrior-Servant Combat Cryptum.
Blue being a Builder Cryptum.

Also there is a big difference between them.
The Red Cryptum has the thing at the bottom that the Librarian used to lift the Ur-Didact into it.
While the Blue one had a simple walk in one.

Cryptums weren't only used by Warrior-Servants after all.
The colors really confuses me. The Warrior-Servants used blue-variants of the H4 weapons, but only when the Didact was corrupted they begin to use the orange-colored weapons. I believe the orange on the Forerunner equipment we see recently is more of a sort of change from the Didact's corruption rather than a rate thing, because then Builders and Lifeshapers would have both blue-themed equipment.
Maybe the Builder Cryptums had different purposes, and for that one was at Genesis?
Still, we don't know if the Cryptum actually belonged to Genesis. Cortana could have taken it from elsewhere since she acquired many Forerunner artifacts, constructs etc.
Perhaps the Builder Cryptum was used for the Master Builder or Master Juridical to have a direct access to the Domain since the Gateway is there? Cryptums were used for meditation after all, and the Juridicals and Builders (specifically Faber) had first privileges to access the Domain, and Genesis seems to be the best location to do so. Also, this style of Cryptum seems to be one where an individual just enters and stays there for however long they wish without physiological consequences, such as the Didact's personal combat Cryptum seen in Halo 4. Also, Sourjoker, the weapons in Halo 4 were always orange, even when the Didact's Promethean constructs were under the Librarian's influence and were colored Blue.
CIA391 wrote:
Onyx81 wrote:
Also, something I just realized, there's a Combat Cryptum on Genesis and Exuberant mentions Warrior-Servants have never set foot on Genesis. So, is there a Combat Cryptum factory there?
Well, it could be a technicality. While Warrior-Servants might not have set foot on the planet, Builder Security probably did and a lot of them were once Warrior-Servants. Even though they had been affiliated with Warrior-Servants before, she might not have counted them because they were Builders at the time and Genesis is a Builder Facility. So perhaps the Combat Cryptum belonged to Builder Security?
Well colour might mean something.

Red being an Warrior-Servant Combat Cryptum.
Blue being a Builder Cryptum.

Also there is a big difference between them.
The Red Cryptum has the thing at the bottom that the Librarian used to lift the Ur-Didact into it.
While the Blue one had a simple walk in one.

Cryptums weren't only used by Warrior-Servants after all.
The colors really confuses me. The Warrior-Servants used blue-variants of the H4 weapons, but only when the Didact was corrupted they begin to use the orange-colored weapons. I believe the orange on the Forerunner equipment we see recently is more of a sort of change from the Didact's corruption rather than a rate thing, because then Builders and Lifeshapers would have both blue-themed equipment.
Maybe the Builder Cryptums had different purposes, and for that one was at Genesis?
Still, we don't know if the Cryptum actually belonged to Genesis. Cortana could have taken it from elsewhere since she acquired many Forerunner artifacts, constructs etc.
Perhaps the Builder Cryptum was used for the Master Builder or Master Juridical to have a direct access to the Domain since the Gateway is there? Cryptums were used for meditation after all, and the Juridicals and Builders (specifically Faber) had first privileges to access the Domain, and Genesis seems to be the best location to do so. Also, this style of Cryptum seems to be one where an individual just enters and stays there for however long they wish without physiological consequences, such as the Didact's personal combat Cryptum seen in Halo 4. Also, Sourjoker, the weapons in Halo 4 were always orange, even when the Didact's Promethean constructs were under the Librarian's influence and were colored Blue.
They were colored blue when the Prometheans were controlled by the Librarian, and in the Terminals they were shown blue when light rifles were used against the ancient Humans.
They were colored blue when the Prometheans were controlled by the Librarian, and in the Terminals they were shown blue when light rifles were used against the ancient Humans.
Really? Are my copies of Halo 4 and MCC messed up.....I swear they're orange. Oh well haha. But, I will agree that yes they were blue in the terminals, but remember those were different times with different political stature and different weaponry, with similar designs, but drastically different functionality, so it is possible that the colors back then that matched with societal class were different 10,000 years before the Forerunner-Flood war.
Really? Are my copies of Halo 4 and MCC messed up.....I swear they're orange. Oh well haha. But, I will agree that yes they were blue in the terminals, but remember those were different times with different political stature and different weaponry, with similar designs, but drastically different functionality, so it is possible that the colors back then that matched with societal class were different 10,000 years before the Forerunner-Flood war.
Blue on the Prometheans before the Didact. Red on the floor and in the hands of the Chief.
CIA391 wrote:
Blue on the Prometheans before the Didact. Red on the floor and in the hands of the Chief.
Ah. Never noticed that then. So then that must mean that because the constructs are under the Librarian's influence, then they and the weapons are blue. But when their owner is eliminated, they go back to their original color, which is orange, as evidenced by them falling and being used by John. Also, this would mean that by default, they were orange before the Librarian's influence, as evidenced by Halo 4 terminal 7. The binary rifle is orange, and strangely, the shot it fired is blue. Then again, the terminals are not to be taken completely literally as they have some misinformed information due to their weak and severed connection to the Domain. So, in the overall history of things, either the Warrior-Servant technology has always been orange and the terminals misinformed John, the user who witnessed their events, due to their weakened state, or Warrior-Servant technology was blue in the past, but political and sociological aspects changed it to orange/red in later years.
CIA391 wrote:
Ah. Never noticed that then. So then that must mean that because the constructs are under the Librarian's influence, then they and the weapons are blue. But when their owner is eliminated, they go back to their original color, which is orange, as evidenced by them falling and being used by John. Also, this would mean that by default, they were orange before the Librarian's influence, as evidenced by Halo 4 terminal 7. The binary rifle is orange, and strangely, the shot it fired is blue. Then again, the terminals are not to be taken completely literally as they have some misinformed information due to their weak and severed connection to the Domain. So, in the overall history of things, either the Warrior-Servant technology has always been orange and the terminals misinformed John, the user who witnessed their events, due to their weakened state, or Warrior-Servant technology was blue in the past, but political and sociological aspects changed it to orange/red in later years.
Well the terminals in Halo 4 are looking for the then currently broken domain.So the info on them is outdated and broken. So we cant trust many details in them as 100%.
CIA391 wrote:
Well the terminals in Halo 4 are looking for the then currently broken domain.So the info on them is outdated and broken. So we cant trust many details in them as 100%.
Haha that's what I was implying, but I agree 100%. Although, on the topic of the Domain, do you think that during this time and even before Halo 4, it was attempting to repair itself? Because that would mean that by the time of Halo 5 Guardians, it hasn't fixed itself entirely, but enough to be of some use again....
CIA391 wrote:
Haha that's what I was implying, but I agree 100%. Although, on the topic of the Domain, do you think that during this time and even before Halo 4, it was attempting to repair itself? Because that would mean that by the time of Halo 5 Guardians, it hasn't fixed itself entirely, but enough to be of some use again....
Well something brought it back that's for sure.
Whether that be by itself, Cortana, something we dont know yet, or even the Precursors I simply dont know. But this will need to get explained at some point or there is a big gap in whats happened.

Pretty much. I have no idea. Thats what I am saying
erickyboo wrote:
Grimm! Yay! I actually didn't expect an entry today! So taken by surprise!

Yay for the ships!!!
They are really big! I was really not expecting those sizes! The Carrack? Some 3km! The Brigantine, 6km or so! Even the Blockade Runner is big! The only small one is the Man'O'War and it seems to pack some firepower or something.

I'd be really interested in seeing more technical specifications on them. The Carrack seems to be like a Phoenix-class turned into warship. I wonder how these ships compare to the covenant ones. Did they undergo refit? Upgrades to keep with the times? Shield strenght to match the post human war field? I'd be great seeing them pitted against other ships. I wonder how much punishment all ships can take actually. An early human covenant war MAC packs 64 kilotons of kinetic energy. I'm assuming the post war heavy coil MACs pack way more. I wonder their recharge speed, fall of reach animated made it seem like it still fired fast. And I wonder how many for the shields of all sangheili and covenant ships to buckle. All these technical details, I want to know. If there was a thousand Page long manual for the ships? I would probably read it and really really really like it and it'd be amazing and great!

And that size comparison image is great! Maybe it will help Stephen Loftus!

Hey, Carrack vs Resurgent-class Star Destroyer
wink wink
I want to learn more about ship to ship weaponry as well. Especially technical specifications. Please Grim, come on. Please? Pretty please?

Also, something to point out, the 64 kiloton figure seems to be an outlier to me. First off, the the Captain specified a heavy round. Second the velocity of the MAC around was 30km/s. This seem incredibly slow in regards of practicality. Imagine if a Covenant ship was 1,000km away, which isn't actually much when we're talking about space here. The MAC round would reach its target in 20-30 seconds. Way too long for ship to ship combat. Also, 64 kilotons wouldn't make that much sense when you compare it to the SMAC which is about 54 gigatons (that's several orders of magnitude later than the MAC), and the round travels at 12,000km/s or something.

As I've mentioned, 30km/s seems to be a huge outlier. A much higher velocity would make much more sense.

Any, great Canon Fodder Grim. Happy holidays.
Maybe its just missing a zero or two?
I would be leaning towards two. Mainly because it wouldn't make that much sense for the UNSC's most powerful shipboard weapon to be greatly eclipsed by a single nuke (havok nuke us 30 megatons) or mine. These things were implied to be a big deal.

Another issue with the 30km/s figure is that the encycopdia give the MAC's effective range to be about 16,000km. That doesn't make sense at all if the MACs take 8 minutes to reach that range. In battle, that's a long time.
erickyboo wrote:
Grimm! Yay! I actually didn't expect an entry today! So taken by surprise!

Yay for the ships!!!
They are really big! I was really not expecting those sizes! The Carrack? Some 3km! The Brigantine, 6km or so! Even the Blockade Runner is big! The only small one is the Man'O'War and it seems to pack some firepower or something.

I'd be really interested in seeing more technical specifications on them. The Carrack seems to be like a Phoenix-class turned into warship. I wonder how these ships compare to the covenant ones. Did they undergo refit? Upgrades to keep with the times? Shield strenght to match the post human war field? I'd be great seeing them pitted against other ships. I wonder how much punishment all ships can take actually. An early human covenant war MAC packs 64 kilotons of kinetic energy. I'm assuming the post war heavy coil MACs pack way more. I wonder their recharge speed, fall of reach animated made it seem like it still fired fast. And I wonder how many for the shields of all sangheili and covenant ships to buckle. All these technical details, I want to know. If there was a thousand Page long manual for the ships? I would probably read it and really really really like it and it'd be amazing and great!

And that size comparison image is great! Maybe it will help Stephen Loftus!

Hey, Carrack vs Resurgent-class Star Destroyer
wink wink
I want to learn more about ship to ship weaponry as well. Especially technical specifications. Please Grim, come on. Please? Pretty please?
I third this notion, more technical specs on the ships and their weapons please
A little late to the party, but wanted to say this was an awesome entry! Loved seeing the new ships and their origins. Happy holidays to Grim and all the lore heads, may the next year produce even more excellent discussion.
Somehow I missed the fact the Sangheili's new (old) designs were all based on their wildlife. Now everything makes sense, from the new vehicle designs to the warships.

You have to admit being cornered by ghosts in Warzone resembles being hunted by sharks.
Really appreciate seeing these ships side-by-side. It's cool how drastically they differ in overall design and function. Thanks for squeezing in a Canon Fodder, Grim, especially right before the holidays!

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!
I have been waiting for this Canon fodder since I saw the opening scene for Halo 5. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My only regret with it is no pictures with the actual in game renders, but that is minor.
I hope more of these ships appear alongside classic covenant warships in the future, especially with the SOS.

Plus Merry Christmas and a happy new year
Wow. Awesome cannon fodder! I love that chart; it really puts things into perspective. Thanks for writing these lore snippets every week. Happy New Year, Grim!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. ...
  6. 6