Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 12-3-15: Staten It Plainly

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Awesome cannon fodder Grim. I can't wait for Shadow of Intent!
Spoiler:
Show
Wow. My screenshot was used for the ODST screenshots on the Canon Fodder. Epic.

If anyone is interested. My full album can be found Here. The majority of the photos I took are for the mod Operation: Trebuchet for the game ARMA 3
SNAPSHOT badges should now be awarded for this round of captures, just fyi.

<3
Grim
SNAPSHOT badges should now be awarded for this round of captures, just fyi.

<3
Grim
I just wanted to take the time to thank you Grimbrother One for bringing back some of the glitter, the magic feeling to Waypoint with the CF Snapshots idea. I'm sure you remember BS Angel's weekly screenshot theme, which is now discontinued, along with the Photographer medal. It was fun to compete in a friendly way with other photographers and share screenshots and ideas, to see if BS Angel would feature our photo and reward us with her now discontinued medal. That awesome feeling from that you have re-created with CF Snapshots, so thank you very much :) .
Nice CF more half jaw is always good.
I seriously hope you guys don't intend to keep using the rocket launcher redesign. First the plasma rifle now this? Does everything need to be changed with you guys?
I'm serious, it feels like change for the sake of change. The plasma rifle is already gone a weapon that had been in every game since the first and replaced it with what? A gun that does the exact same thing? Why?

Scoff all you like but that doesn't change anything. Almost everything within Halo from the weapons to the armor to even the covenant have been redesigned completely in just two games, why is that? If the gameplay changes, and the story changes, and the art design changes at what point does it stop being Halo? Where is the line?

In 2009 when 343i took the helm was this the original intention? Is so then what was the point of taking Halo in the first place? At that point why not start your own franchise? It makes no sense to take the helm of an established series with an established art design only to change it as soon as you get control.
JJAB91 wrote:
I'm serious, it feels like change for the sake of change. The plasma rifle is already gone a weapon that had been in every game since the first and replaced it with what? A gun that does the exact same thing? Why?

Scoff all you like but that doesn't change anything. Almost everything within Halo from the weapons to the armor to even the covenant have been redesigned completely in just two games, why is that? If the gameplay changes, and the story changes, and the art design changes at what point does it stop being Halo? Where is the line?

In 2009 when 343i took the helm was this the original intention? Is so then what was the point of taking Halo in the first place? At that point why not start your own franchise? It makes no sense to take the helm of an established series with an established art design only to change it as soon as you get control.
Change is needed for something to go forward. We cant limit the armory of something just cause something is "iconic". Means 343i in general have more stuff to work with which equals more potiential weapons in future Halo games.

And well the Plasma Rifle is still a weapon in the Halo Universe. :) 343i can always bring it back. Right now though. We have the storm Rifle and well that does the job.

Also in a lore point of view. 6 years has passed. I mean we cant stay in the year 2552 all the time. I admit that would get a little stale. No matter how iconic something is. Technology needs to change simply just cause time passed.
CIA391 wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:

Change is needed for something to go forward. We cant limit the armory of something just cause something is "iconic". Means 343i in general have more stuff to work with which equals more potiential weapons in future Halo games.

And well the Plasma Rifle is still a weapon in the Halo Universe. :) 343i can always bring it back. Right now though. We have the storm Rifle and well that does the job.

Also in a lore point of view. 6 years has passed. I mean we cant stay in the year 2552 all the time. I admit that would get a little stale. No matter how iconic something is. Technology needs to change simply just cause time passed.
There is a fundamental difference between changing something for a reason and doing so just because. Some of 343i's changes I like like the carbine for example. But I find a lot of changes are either in the wrong direction or just look bad compared to what it replaces. I don't know many people who think the Wraith redesign looks better than the original or the rocket launcher. Hell, the only reason were getting the SPNKR back is because of the fan outcry it was replaced. Thats also not a cure but a bandage because 343i will just use the new design again in Halo 6. I highly doubt the Plasma Rifle will return otherwise what was the point of them getting rid of it? Just like the Janus Key, and we all know how well that turned out.

Change can be good but not all change is good.
JJAB91 wrote:
CIA391 wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:

There is a fundamental difference between changing something for a reason and doing so just because. Some of 343i's changes I like like the carbine for example. But I find a lot of changes are either in the wrong direction or just look bad compared to what it replaces. I don't know many people who think the Wraith redesign looks better than the original or the rocket launcher. Hell, the only reason were getting the SPNKR back is because of the fan outcry it was replaced. Thats also not a cure but a bandage because 343i will just use the new design again in Halo 6. I highly doubt the Plasma Rifle will return otherwise what was the point of them getting rid of it? Just like the Janus Key, and we all know how well that turned out.

Change can be good but not all change is good.
Time has passed though. 6 years infact. The Covenant and UNSC do have to change their weapons. To 'better' variants.

Why should the UNSC use outdated Weapons so long.
Why should the Covenant stick to the same few weapons with virtually no updates to them.

Plus Jul's Covenant used what they could. Anything they can get their hands on. The Storm Rifle was just easier for them to get.
While Plasma Rifles were in their Armory. One can assume they didnt use them often or get enough of them. So 343i can easily bring it back.

So there is plenty of reasons for the changes in weapons lore wise.

Real world wise. Weapon designers need a job. New weapon designs get them paid.
And if all the weapons stayed the same. You'd be pretty much buying the same game as last time but with a different story. Different weapons lead to different oppertunitys. :D

Also the Plasma Rifle and Storm Rifle arnt the same weapon. They act similar yes. But are different enough to merit that they are different. You just cant overload the game with too many similar weapons or some weapons will go unused.(which totally goes against the whole reason of making the model)
And well I have to say a Plasma Rifle just doesnt fit Halo 5. The other weapons actually balence well with the Storm Rifle better thsn what we know about the Plasma Rifle. I do bet if there was a place for it 343i would of added it in.
JJAB91,

Here's the thing, on a lot of levels I agree with you, and as a whole "change for change's sake" is often times not a great thing. There are quite a few times though where some changes have reasons that fans will still just classify as "for change's sake." Sometimes it's a well-thought-out fictional reason. Sometimes it's the nature of the industry/business. Sometimes it is just artistic reinterpretation (to which sometimes we try and provide fictional context to, and sometimes we don't).

There's a bit of an "uncanny valley" (Uncanon Valley, I suppose) of sorts when it comes to hard and fast "canon," and the more flexible nature of a thematic "headcanon." When the details are able to line up (and trust me there are incredible folks that work valiantly to keep things lining up amidst a litany of external circumstances), it's fantastic. But when they aren't always able to, sometimes it helps to find a "happy spot" for it all to fit in whatever personal way you'd like it to. The real rewarding (and persevering) experience (IMO) is nestled somewhere in that magical zone between the two.

Trust me, I understand that it can be frustrating sometimes, and I can assure you that even when you don't like reasonings behind particular things, it's never because some diabolical 343i developer just wants to watch the fans' proverbial world burn. ;-) Your feedback and opinions on stuff like this is incredibly valuable to the studio, just try to maybe make those frustrations seem less immediately accusational.

This:
"Hey Grim, I was wondering if there were particular factors that contribute to the design changes in stuff like the rocket launcher and plasma rifle. Is it strictly a 343i visual interpretation or are there other considerations that come into play?"

Sounds better than this:
"I seriously hope you guys don't intend to keep using the rocket launcher redesign. First the plasma rifle now this? Does everything need to be changed with you guys?"

Keep being passionate, and humor my Wonka gifs ;-)
<3
Grim
<3
Grim
Well we always got to remember 1 clear thing
Halo is still a world of Pure imagination~
(Sorry had to)

We're all friends here. In some form or another :3

There's a bit of an "uncanny valley" of sorts when it comes to hard and fast "canon," and the more flexible nature of a thematic "headcanon." When the details are able to line up (and trust me there are incredible folks that work valiantly to keep things lining up amidst a litany of external circumstances), it's fantastic. But when they aren't always able to, sometimes it helps to find a "happy spot" for it all to fit in whatever personal way you'd like it to. The real rewarding (and persevering) experience (IMO) is nestled somewhere in that magical zone between the two.
I applaud 343i for what they are doing and what Bungie did in the past for making the Halo Universe as realistic as possible, despite its fictional boundaries. I mean, every bit of technology is plausible to exist. Even the story writing and character psychology is as realistic and historical as possible, something that is very hard to accomplish, especially when dealing with alien races, artificial intelligence, and having to imagine the human psychology and culture when its 500 years into the future, while maintaining a realistic and plausible environment. And while yes, there are several artistic liberties and visual misconceptions, its still very possible (yet very challenging) to incorporate them into hard canon, it just takes a lot of thinking of the many possibilities, something that 343i and Bungie have figured out in the past and present. And especially when there is a fan base completely dedicated to the support of trying to solve inconsistencies and trying to make sense of things, it really helps the developer efficiently manage what is already there.

Sincerely,
p1ay4OURFUN
JJAB91,

Here's the thing, on a lot of levels I agree with you, and as a whole "change for change's sake" is often times not a great thing. There are quite a few times though where some changes have reasons that fans will still just classify as "for change's sake." Sometimes it's a well-thought-out fictional reason. Sometimes it's the nature of the industry/business. Sometimes it is just artistic reinterpretation (to which sometimes we try and provide fictional context to, and sometimes we don't).

There's a bit of an "uncanny valley" (Uncanon Valley, I suppose) of sorts when it comes to hard and fast "canon," and the more flexible nature of a thematic "headcanon." When the details are able to line up (and trust me there are incredible folks that work valiantly to keep things lining up amidst a litany of external circumstances), it's fantastic. But when they aren't always able to, sometimes it helps to find a "happy spot" for it all to fit in whatever personal way you'd like it to. The real rewarding (and persevering) experience (IMO) is nestled somewhere in that magical zone between the two.

Trust me, I understand that it can be frustrating sometimes, and I can assure you that even when you don't like reasonings behind particular things, it's never because some diabolical 343i developer just wants to watch the fans' proverbial world burn. ;-) Your feedback and opinions on stuff like this is incredibly valuable to the studio, just try to maybe make those frustrations seem less immediately accusational.

This:
"Hey Grim, I was wondering if there were particular factors that contribute to the design changes in stuff like the rocket launcher and plasma rifle. Is it strictly a 343i visual interpretation or are there other considerations that come into play?"

Sounds better than this:
"I seriously hope you guys don't intend to keep using the rocket launcher redesign. First the plasma rifle now this? Does everything need to be changed with you guys?"

<3
Grim
Hey Grim, do Sangheili go for females only or is there a case in Halo were a male Sangheili was with another male Sangheili, I know that doesn't seem really important, and your right, as an advanced alien species though, I'd like to know if they care for gender when it comes to loving someone or if there culture dictates that all that is cared for is continuing the bloodline.

I love Halo and all these snippets of info we get from you guys and it's really helped me and my friends out regarding stories, art and even role plays between friends over Halo. :)

Edit: I only ask because one of the Intel's in Halo 5 had me curious
JJAB91,

This:

Sounds better than this:

<3
Grim
Hey Grim, do Sangheili go for females only or is there a case in Halo were a male Sangheili was with another male Sangheili, I know that doesn't seem really important, and your right, as an advanced alien species though, I'd like to know if they care for gender when it comes to loving someone or if there culture dictates that all that is cared for is continuing the bloodline.

I love Halo and all these snippets of info we get from you guys and it's really helped me and my friends out regarding stories, art and even role plays between friends over Halo. :)

Which one?
Hey Grim, I was wondering if there were particular factors that contribute to the design changes in stuff like the rocket launcher and plasma rifle. Is it strictly a 343i visual interpretation or are there other considerations that come into play?

lol :P

But seriously I am curious what the thought process was behind changing the design of the rocket launcher. Can you give us some enlightenment?? :)
JJAB91,

This:

Sounds better than this:

<3
Grim

Which one?
The one where a Sangheili made a poem for Palmer, I wondered if that extended to other species or same sex

Edit: being gay myself, I wonder if species within The Covenant had the same sort of thing like a Human would :P
Alright makes sense. Hey Grim, I was wondering if there were particular factors that contribute to the design changes in stuff like the rocket launcher and plasma rifle. Is it strictly a 343i visual interpretation or are there other considerations that come into play?

And I'm asking for your personal opinion here Grim, which launcher do you prefer artistically?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3