Canon Fodder 12-3-15: Staten It Plainly

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
CIA391 wrote:
Keep being passionate, and humor my Wonka gifs ;-)
<3
Grim
We're all friends here. In some form or another :3
That's what Cortana said to the Warden Eternal.
San 'Shyuum, Yanme’e and Brutes... oh my I like it already
TGLT BL4cK wrote:
CIA391 wrote:
<3
Grim
Yet I believe the mantle of the Waypoint forums should be held by not 1 but all people who respect the rules. :)
CIA391 wrote:
TGLT BL4cK wrote:
CIA391 wrote:
<3
Grim
Yet I believe the mantle of the Waypoint forums should be held by not 1 but all people who respect the rules. :)
That sounds like some dirty Koslovic propaganda!
JJAB91 wrote:
CIA391 wrote:
TGLT BL4cK wrote:
CIA391 wrote:
<3
Grim
That sounds like some dirty Koslovic propaganda!
Guess trying to word my way into something Cortana isnt. Went the wrong way. Opps. xD
I was wondering about the pictures depicted in the ODST Universe page, particularly the ODST wearing a Teal secondary. It made me wonder, is there really any restriction to ODSTs wearing secondary colors (we've seen a variety of Whites, Grays, and Blacks, to Reds and Oranges and Blues) on uniforms, or is it based on unit/individual speciality, or even something as simple as the individuals personal customization and preference?
JJAB91,

Here's the thing, on a lot of levels I agree with you, and as a whole "change for change's sake" is often times not a great thing. There are quite a few times though where some changes have reasons that fans will still just classify as "for change's sake." Sometimes it's a well-thought-out fictional reason. Sometimes it's the nature of the industry/business. Sometimes it is just artistic reinterpretation (to which sometimes we try and provide fictional context to, and sometimes we don't).

There's a bit of an "uncanny valley" (Uncanon Valley, I suppose) of sorts when it comes to hard and fast "canon," and the more flexible nature of a thematic "headcanon." When the details are able to line up (and trust me there are incredible folks that work valiantly to keep things lining up amidst a litany of external circumstances), it's fantastic. But when they aren't always able to, sometimes it helps to find a "happy spot" for it all to fit in whatever personal way you'd like it to. The real rewarding (and persevering) experience (IMO) is nestled somewhere in that magical zone between the two.

Trust me, I understand that it can be frustrating sometimes, and I can assure you that even when you don't like reasonings behind particular things, it's never because some diabolical 343i developer just wants to watch the fans' proverbial world burn. ;-) Your feedback and opinions on stuff like this is incredibly valuable to the studio, just try to maybe make those frustrations seem less immediately accusational.

This:
"Hey Grim, I was wondering if there were particular factors that contribute to the design changes in stuff like the rocket launcher and plasma rifle. Is it strictly a 343i visual interpretation or are there other considerations that come into play?"

Sounds better than this:
"I seriously hope you guys don't intend to keep using the rocket launcher redesign. First the plasma rifle now this? Does everything need to be changed with you guys?"

<3
Grim
Hey Grim, do Sangheili go for females only or is there a case in Halo were a male Sangheili was with another male Sangheili, I know that doesn't seem really important, and your right, as an advanced alien species though, I'd like to know if they care for gender when it comes to loving someone or if there culture dictates that all that is cared for is continuing the bloodline.

I love Halo and all these snippets of info we get from you guys and it's really helped me and my friends out regarding stories, art and even role plays between friends over Halo. :)

Edit: I only ask because one of the Intel's in Halo 5 had me curious
Which one?
The one where a Sangheili made a poem for Palmer, I wondered if that extended to other species or same sex

Edit: being gay myself, I wonder if species within The Covenant had the same sort of thing like a Human would :P
Well, in the Arbiter missions in H2A/H2, staring at an idle Elite for long enough could result in the Elite stating that he has a crush on you, likes you too, etc... It's pretty cute actually~ :3 So, I wouldn't knock Elites being gay/bi, but I have doubt the entire species has those ideas. As for the other species, I dunno. It's plausible I guess.
Had to stop reading when I read "...digital-frist.."

Can't get hyped for something I won't be ale to read for at least a year.
JJAB91 wrote:
Alright makes sense. Hey Grim, I was wondering if there were particular factors that contribute to the design changes in stuff like the rocket launcher and plasma rifle. Is it strictly a 343i visual interpretation or are there other considerations that come into play?

And I'm asking for your personal opinion here Grim, which launcher do you prefer artistically?
Personal opinions can be precarious... ;-)

On the rocket launchers, personally I'll probably always lean towards the aesthetics of the SPNKR. Others are a mixed bag really; like with the Sangheili for example I'm actually a big fan of both the H2A and H4/5 physiologies.
JJAB91 wrote:
Alright makes sense. Hey Grim, I was wondering if there were particular factors that contribute to the design changes in stuff like the rocket launcher and plasma rifle. Is it strictly a 343i visual interpretation or are there other considerations that come into play?

And I'm asking for your personal opinion here Grim, which launcher do you prefer artistically?

On the rocket launchers, personally I'll probably always lean towards the aesthetics of the SPNKR. Others are a mixed bag really; like with the Sangheili for example I'm actually a big fan of both the H2A and H4/5 physiologies.
I legitimately love both physologies. I think what I really want, though, if for the devs to actually incorporate both into their games. A point has been made to canonize both (so far) phenotypes, and it's upsetting to see that 343I won't go the extra mile to make Elite characters more diverse in game.

Not all human characters look the same. Neither should the aliens. This is something Mass Effect did an awesome job of, each alien is it's own character, and you can see that.

I understand that budgets are a thing. But when Thel's physiology isn't as prioritized as, let's say, Dr. Halsey, Roland, Palmer, Locke, Buck, Cortana, Blue Team, Sloan (The list goes on), it's almost insulting to the character. Sure, he has fancy armor, but he otherwise looks exactly like the 100s of carbon-copied Elites in his Storm-exclusive (apparently) army.

The same could be said for Jul 'Mdama (RIP).
Buwx wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:

I legitimately love both physologies. I think what I really want, though, if for the devs to actually incorporate both into their games. A point has been made to canonize both (so far) phenotypes, and it's upsetting to see that 343I won't go the extra mile to make Elite characters more diverse in game.

Not all human characters look the same. Neither should the aliens. This is something Mass Effect did an awesome job of, each alien is it's own character, and you can see that.

I understand that budgets are a thing. But when Thel's physiology isn't as prioritized as, let's say, Dr. Halsey, Roland, Palmer, Locke, Buck, Cortana, Blue Team, Sloan (The list goes on), it's almost insulting to the character. Sure, he has fancy armor, but he otherwise looks exactly like the 100s of carbon-copied Elites in his Storm-exclusive (apparently) army.

The same could be said for Jul 'Mdama (RIP).
I agree, a lot of things seemed to have more priority then other character in general and the ones established usually get killed off screen like Spartan Team Black.
Jul barely got that much screen time in terms of Canon and then he himself was killed off near the end.

Also Grim, how come we don't see both models of weaponry within the Covenant in Halo 5 like the Plasma Rifle and Storm Rifle, both are still around, yet we only see the Storm Rifles, why is that?
Buwx wrote:
I legitimately love both physologies. I think what I really want, though, if for the devs to actually incorporate both into their games.
Not just Sangheili, some of the other species in the game could use some diversity. There are different types of Grunts and Jackals for example, and it would be neat to see them together in a game as well. 343i could always give each different a type a specific role in the army. To use the Kig-Yar as an example, the Ruuhtian could serve as Snipers, the Ibie'shan could be standard infantry and the T'vaoan could be skirmishers.
Buwx wrote:
I legitimately love both physologies. I think what I really want, though, if for the devs to actually incorporate both into their games.
Not just Sangheili, some of the other species in the game could use some diversity. There are different types of Grunts and Jackals for example, and it would be neat to see them together in a game as well. 343i could always give each different a type a specific role in the army. To use the Kig-Yar as an example, the Ruuhtian could serve as Snipers, the Ibie'shan could be standard infantry and the T'vaoan could be skirmishers.
What drives me crazy is that the Ibie'shans are from an isolated continent on Eayn, and that apparently the Covenant only outsources from that continent specifically. Even in Escalation, the vast majority of Kig-Yar were from Ibie'sh, when it's been established that the Ruuhtians are the mainstream. Doesn't make sense to me.

I think my point is, if you plan on "canonising" designs of races in the games, as opposed to attributing variance as artistic license, then please make a better effort of canonising what characters actually look like (such as Thel) and stick with it. Also, make some effort to diversify your pre-established diverse species' sets. It's so annoying that the old physiologies are canon, but we'll never see them again in the mainstream games.

Also yes, it'd be nice to see some Skirmishers.
Buwx wrote:
Buwx wrote:
What drives me crazy is that the Ibie'shans are from an isolated continent on Eayn, and that apparently the Covenant only outsources from that continent specifically. Even in Escalation, the vast majority of Kig-Yar were from Ibie'sh, when it's been established that the Ruuhtians are the mainstream. Doesn't make sense to me.

I think my point is, if you plan on "canonising" designs of races in the games, as opposed to attributing variance as artistic license, then please make a better effort of canonising what characters actually look like (such as Thel) and stick with it. Also, make some effort to diversify your pre-established diverse species' sets. It's so annoying that the old physiologies are canon, but we'll never see them again in the mainstream games.

Also yes, it'd be nice to see some Skirmishers.
Let's not forget that we have two different Sangheili entirely and all of them in game are exactly the same model underneath the armor.

Or the fact that Spartan Ops was honestly a waste of time with the ending of Escalation...keep it consistent folks...
I feel bad that Grim's copping a bit of flak, but if anything this goes to show we probably need some more hard lore on the visual aspects of the canon.

For example, I like how Halo 5 features a lot of classic gear in the MP, (Mark IV/Mark VI armour, SPNKR, M6D etc) because it kind of validates the older games while still moving forwards, if that makes sense?
GazzRion wrote:
For example, I like how Halo 5 features a lot of classic gear in the MP, (Mark IV/Mark VI armour, SPNKR, M6D etc) because it kind of validates the older games while still moving forwards, if that makes sense?
Agreed, 1000%.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3