Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 2-18-16: Storm Surge

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
This week in Canon Fodder, we talk lore for the upcoming Hammer Storm update.

Read more here...

<3
Grim
I would of gone with "Hammer time"

So Naomi is wearing something similar to the decimation in terms of look?

Nice to know she's officially still active, R.I.P black team.
So, Decimator is an improvement of Mark VII armor, eh?

Very interesting...possibly the end of the Mark VI's life-span now? (not counting the fact that you can wear older armor still)
The other map about the created changing worlds seemed kinda vague to me on the evil scale...but uh...now she's just flat out purging stations of people now?
The other map about the created changing worlds seemed kinda vague to me on the evil scale...but uh...now she's just flat out purging stations of people now?
"Removing" doesn't have to mean killing.
"Removing" doesn't have to mean killing.
Well, she DID kill people activating some of the Guardians, it's clear Cortana doesn't actually care about loss of life. Are we to expect she just asked them nicely or ordered them out with the barrel of a gun?
Its also just the act of kicking people out of their jobs, especially when they don't seem 100% military based. The mantle didn't seem so bad when the forerunners enacted it because it gave the impression species simply never got to advance to higher stages, but now the Created are going around kicking people out of their jobs 'for the greater good'.

I guess its just really hard to be sympathetic to their faction when she's obsessed with an interpretation of the mantle that even the forerunner's realized was an issue by the end.
Its also just the act of kicking people out of their jobs, especially when they don't seem 100% military based. It didn't seem so bad when the forerunners enacted the mantle because it gave the impression species simply never got to advance to higher stages, but now the Created are going around kicking people out of their jobs 'for the greater good'.

I guess its just really hard to be sympathetic to their faction when she's obsessed with an interpretation of the mantle that even the forerunner's realized was an issue by the end.
Yeah, that "greater good" seems to only benefit the Created as far as I can see. Are the terraformed planets meant to help organic species? Not as far as I can tell and it isn't explicitly said to either. Will Auriga Station organic species? Seems like Cortana is using it as an arms factory near as I can see.
This week in Canon Fodder, we talk lore for the upcoming Hammer Storm update.

Read more here...

<3
Grim
So, Auriga Station, manned by Huragok as well? What's up with them given Cortana's actions? What happened to those in service of the Covenant. Seemed like something that was played up and then?
Pretty light one this week, but I always love hearing more about the Created. It does make me wonder how long the gap between 5 and 6 will be. I wonder if even once they're "defeated" the Created will stick around as another faction. It would be nice to see them start using some more traditional Sentinels too.

On another note, could we get some information on some of the changes to the Promethean forces in Halo 5? The altered appearances, behaviours and Warzone naming system confuses things a little. I'd love to see the ranks and background details on the new appearances.
Its also just the act of kicking people out of their jobs, especially when they don't seem 100% military based. It didn't seem so bad when the forerunners enacted the mantle because it gave the impression species simply never got to advance to higher stages, but now the Created are going around kicking people out of their jobs 'for the greater good'.

Yeah, that "greater good" seems to only benefit the Created as far as I can see. Are the terraformed planets meant to help organic species? Not as far as I can tell and it isn't explicitly said to either. Will Auriga Station organic species? Seems like Cortana is using it as an arms factory near as I can see.
The terraforming of planets was explicitely stated to be said to reverse the devastation caused by the Covenant War by turning them into garden worlds.

While Cortana is certainly on the war path, I suspect that we'll find out that quality of life for millions of individuals have increased drastically. Not for everyone, but I don't think this will be an organics vs AI conflict.

I obviously don't have anything to back that up, but Halo's never really been about telling one sided stories with obvious good and bad guys.
Onyx81 wrote:

The terraforming of planets was explicitely stated to be said to reverse the devastation caused by the Covenant War by turning them into garden worlds.

While Cortana is certainly on the war path, I suspect that we'll find out that quality of life for millions of individuals have increased drastically. Not for everyone, but I don't think this will be an organics vs AI conflict.

I obviously don't have anything to back that up, but Halo's never really been about telling one sided stories with obvious good and bad guys.
You are right about the terraforming reversing destruction but it also said for the Created's purposes, nothing explictly about using those worlds for the betterment of non-AI beings. As for Halo not being about telling one-sided stories, the Kilo-5 trilogy says hi. Hell, for the longest time a lot of stuff was all about how much of a monster Halsey was, so it comes off as odd that Cortana and her acts are being treated with kid gloves so far.
Onyx81 wrote:

You are right about the terraforming reversing destruction but it also said for the Created's purposes, nothing explictly about using those worlds for the betterment of non-AI beings. As for Halo not being about telling one-sided stories, the Kilo-5 trilogy says hi. Hell, for the longest time a lot of stuff was all about how much of a monster Halsey was, so it comes off as odd that Cortana and her acts are being treated with kid gloves so far.
I don't really know what artificial intelligences would need lush worlds for other than supporting life easily. I mean, they already have immortality in the Domain. I wouldn't really say it's being handled with kid's gloves. The Breaking has the Master Chief accusing Cortana of killing people. The dialogue in the level also shows that the Chief is going to oppose Cortana with all his might and will if he needs to. And as you, myself, and many others have noticed a lot of her initial actions have led and are going to lead to lots of violence and death. At this point in the story, almost all of the narrative is pointing at Cortana being the bad guy.

Then there's also the fact that there are different writers, and maybe some people at 343i got wind that some of its fans REALLY don't like when its characters are called murdering nazis.
Onyx81 wrote:
Onyx81 wrote:

I don't really know what artificial intelligences would need lush worlds for other than supporting life easily. I mean, they already have immortality in the Domain. I wouldn't really say it's being handled with kid's gloves. The Breaking has the Master Chief accusing Cortana of killing people. The dialogue in the level also shows that the Chief is going to oppose Cortana with all his might and will if he needs to. And as you, myself, and many others have noticed a lot of her initial actions have led and are going to lead to lots of violence and death. At this point in the story, almost all of the narrative is pointing at Cortana being the bad guy.

Then there's also the fact that there are different writers, and maybe some people at 343i got wind that some of its fans REALLY don't like when its characters are called murdering nazis.
Then again, if Cortana wanted to make life easier, couldn't she have terraformed lifeless worlds as opposed to ones with life already on it AND existing infrastructure? Course, Cortana and the Created's capabilities appear to be hypothetical as the description for Riptide states that in a few decades the work will be done. The narrative painting Cortana bad isn't my point, it's from 343 themselves. Reed stated bluntly Halsey was a monster and one of the former writers for Spartan Ops said that depending on your POV Halsey was either misguided or a villain, nothing suggesting an alternative to those points of view. Then you have the aforementioned Kilo-5 stuff where the last book essentially compared Halsey to Hitler. 343 Industries approved that. Yet now we are told she is just doing something we don't agree with (ONLY that?) and that she totally isn't evil. Now Grim seems to be making an excuse for her in regards to removing the human crew on the Auriga Station. I'm not saying he is wrong or lying, but it doesn't clarify anything either nor show anything in the proper context. Did she ask them to leave? Did she force them to leave with Promethean Soldiers pointing Light Rifles at them? How did they get off? Lifeboats? Commandeered UNSC frigates/transports? Slipspace Pelicans? I don't blame anyone thinking she killed them since she showed no regret at killing before in much larger numbers.
Onyx81 wrote:

I'd argue that using it to house organic life is perfectly in line with the Created's purpose. They're positioning themselves as holders of the Mantle and stewards to all life in the Galaxy. If they rebuild dead worlds, that will show the people that they mean what they say, and likely get more people onside.

I think their being more gentle on Cortana stems from the Halsey feedback. We knew from the start that Halsey's actions were meant to be taken as less than perfect in a moral sense. Nylund's books made a point to demonstrate her sense of guilt, other people's disapproval and even some of the Spartan's discomfort right from the start. The problem is that someone took that ball and ran with it straight into a wall. Notice how all of a sudden things have gotten a bit easier for Halsey. Suddenly people aren't so wary or hesitant to trust her. It seems like they're overcorrecting to me. Like they saw people really didn't respond well to the "Halsey is evil" views expressed and are trying too hard to make sure they'll never be interpreted as saying anything like that again.
Ugh here we go again...

-

I didn't expect a canon fodder this early Grim! Happy birthday to the grim family? Your dad, your daughter and wasn't it yours recently?

Very interesting lore on the station! I like knowing the activities of the created post halo 5 campaign, and the new maps do seem to offer some insight! And having the context really helps sort of bring the map to immersion: getting ready for a hit on the created. This war will seem to me like a very mobile hit and run type.

I did not doubt much that Cortana was going to remove the crew without killing them.
I hope we get some stuff on Aleria too! It'd be interesting seeing Aleria getting terra formed and sort of made verdant again. But interesting info nonetheless.

Interesting info on the decimator! And the other suit seems like an all purpose customizable one then.

Interesting info on binary rifles too. I was hoping to get some info on the variants, maybe some other time.
I should sleep.
Grim never said that she didn't kill them, just that removed doesn't have to mean killing. Why she'd suddenly care about living beings now stumps me, so why assume she has started?
Onyx81 wrote:
Onyx81 wrote:

Then again, if Cortana wanted to make life easier, couldn't she have terraformed lifeless worlds as opposed to ones with life already on it AND existing infrastructure? Course, Cortana and the Created's capabilities appear to be hypothetical as the description for Riptide states that in a few decades the work will be done. The narrative painting Cortana bad isn't my point, it's from 343 themselves. Reed stated bluntly Halsey was a monster and one of the former writers for Spartan Ops said that depending on your POV Halsey was either misguided or a villain, nothing suggesting an alternative to those points of view. Then you have the aforementioned Kilo-5 stuff where the last book essentially compared Halsey to Hitler. 343 Industries approved that. Yet now we are told she is just doing something we don't agree with (ONLY that?) and that she totally isn't evil. Now Grim seems to be making an excuse for her in regards to removing the human crew on the Auriga Station. I'm not saying he is wrong or lying, but it doesn't clarify anything either nor show anything in the proper context. Did she ask them to leave? Did she force them to leave with Promethean Soldiers pointing Light Rifles at them? How did they get off? Lifeboats? Commandeered UNSC frigates/transports? Slipspace Pelicans? I don't blame anyone thinking she killed them since she showed no regret at killing before in much larger numbers.
You're going off topic from what I was talking about, but okay.
Onyx81 wrote:
Onyx81 wrote:
Onyx81 wrote:

You're going off topic from what I was talking about, but okay.
Explain where I am in error and thus went off-topic from what you were talking about if you could. Narratively I don't disagree with you.
So Grim, if the Auriga Station reverse-engineers things, would such a station be able to make Composers if Cortana had the specs?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3