Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 2-18-16: Storm Surge

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
You know, Halsey mentioned the Composer was very similar to the AI creation matrix used by the UNSC. Would it be far-fetched for Cortana, with this information, to jury-rig a Composer?
Really? Where did she say this, I'm genuinely curious?
You know, Halsey mentioned the Composer was very similar to the AI creation matrix used by the UNSC. Would it be far-fetched for Cortana, with this information, to jury-rig a Composer?
It is on one of the terminals on the level "Composer", set on the Ivanoff Station.

• Halsey: "Catherine Halsey, personal observations - December 15, 2554."
  • Halsey: "While the survey crews examining Gamma Halo may be what pass for experts at ONI now, they are woefully out of their league for a task of this scale."
  • Halsey: "There has been one startling discovery, however."
  • Halsey: "One of the teams stumbled upon a device remarkably similar to the AI Matrix Compiler currently in use by the UNSC."
  • Halsey: "Seeing as how I designed that particular compiler, this finding, needless to say, has piqued my curiosity."
It is on one of the terminals on the level "Composer", set on the Ivanoff Station.

• Halsey: "While the survey crews examining Gamma Halo may be what pass for experts at ONI now, they are woefully out of their league for a task of this scale."
  • Halsey: "One of the teams stumbled upon a device remarkably similar to the AI Matrix Compiler currently in use by the UNSC."
  • Halsey: "Seeing as how I designed that particular compiler, this finding, needless to say, has piqued my curiosity."
It is interesting how years after Halo 4's release we are finding links to more recent media.

Huh, that's interesting. Yeah, I can see Cortana building a Composer, but it lessens my faith in 343i if they did that. Not that my faith in them was high to begin with, after all, they did bring back Cortana from the dead after they explicitly said she was dead.

Hey, do you think that the Assembly might have a larger role in Halo 6? They are a group of AIs after all, I kind of want to see Cortana have some sort of dialogue with them and see what their reaction to her would be.
So Grim, if the Auriga Station reverse-engineers things, would such a station be able to make Composers if Cortana had the specs?
Doubtful, considering that Humanity has yet to fully understand what the particular Forerunner device they have on hand (a quote in Spartan Ops made act parison that for all they know, they could be banging around a Forerunner equivalent of a nuke like a monkey because of the sound it makes), let alone utilising the Forerunner tech to their fullest potential. An example would be UNSC Slipspace engines post war. In Hunters in the Dark, reversed engineered Forerunner engines can roughly travel 830 light years a day, while Forerunner engines during the Forerunner Saga can travel across the galaxy instantaneously, and theoretically the Audacity could traveled to Path Kathona instantaneousy without taking Slipspace reconciliation into account.

Honestly, I would be surprised if the UNSC can fully reverse engine Forerunner Coffee Machines. A Human research station developing something like the composer, something that was both experimental AND utilises Neural Physics is COMPLETELY out of the question.
The Infinity's engines are forerunner.
The Infinity's engines are accurate to within a kilometre range. A Covenant Slipspace engine is accurate to an atom's diameter. So unless the Covenant have far more accurate engines than the Forerunners (we sure as hell know that's not the case, given that the Covenant built inferior copies of Forerunner tech), the UNSC still has a long way to go.

Then we have Lord Hold stating that UNSC Prototype engines could possibly reach the Ark in 9-10 months, while the Audacity (which was built a thousand years before the Forerunner Flood War) can (theoretically, when ignoring Slipspace reconciliation) reach Path Kathona (which is just over half the distance from the Ark) instantaneously.

Also, given that the Infinity's science lead is Henry Glassman, I certainly would say they haven't grasped the Forerunner Tech's full potential. Even Halsey is a monkey flinging poop everywhere in comparison to what the Forerunners were (and she should not have hacked into a Contender Class A.I. It took the Gravemind 47 years to reach that, more or less, same result).
Yes but you can't ignor slipspace reconciliation.
Also, the Forerunners manupulated slipspace so that the Audacity could travel faster, which slowed everything else down. Without the ability to do that, it would have taken much longer.

And when you have a 5km long space ship, exiting slipspace with an acuracy of 0.5km, isn't that big of an issue.
I was paraphrasing Silentium. And considering how Slipspace reconciliation isn't as much of a problem as Slipspace reconciliation is during the time of the Forerunner Enpire, we can (somewhat) ignore it. Especially given how the Forerunners utilised Slipspace for everything from replacing elevators to ripping apart fleets to pencil sharpeners.

I'm surprises you actually believed that little line from the Master Builder (you know, the political back stabbed willing to exploit anything he could). Don't you think it's a little suspicious that a single, 100m ship could slow down Slipspace reconciliation for an entire year, especially when during this time period, the Master Builder was secretly building his Arks, moving entire planets around and traveling over twice the distance? And even the Didact states that Slipspace technology had improved once he woke up from his Cryptum in Halo: Cryptum so the Forerunners weren't stagnant.

That isn't the issue. We're comparing the full capabilities of Forerunner tech and what the UNSC can actually do with it. Traveling within the accuracy of a kilometre is impressive, especially considering the UNSC was previously accurate to within a few million kilometres. And I'm stating otherwise. However, I'm stating they have yet to fully grasp the full potential of the Furerunner tech they are using.
While True, one of the important things to consider is that the Composer is one of the few pieces of Forerunner tech that actually utilises Neural Physics to some degree (see The Composer's universe entry), something that the Forerunners themselves could barely understand. Cortana replicating something that even the Forerunners could barely understand is quite the stretch.
While True, one of the important things to consider is that the Composer is one of the few pieces of Forerunner tech that actually utilises Neural Physics to some degree (see The Composer's universe entry), something that the Forerunners themselves could barely understand. Cortana replicating something that even the Forerunners could barely understand is quite the stretch.
Well, human AI creation effectively does the same thing as the Composer, biological matter is broken down and converted into the digital. I doubt human tech is tapping into neural physics, so is it a stretch Cortana could use what the humans know just on a more massive scale?
That was in the Ivanoff station audio logs correct?

I also remember in spartan ops she also said the Didact's Gift (the artifact with the composed humans from new Phoenix)
was also very similar to the AI Matrix

(EDIT) I found the spartan ops quote YouTube Link with timestamp
So Grim, if the Auriga Station reverse-engineers things, would such a station be able to make Composers if Cortana had the specs?
Doubtful, considering that Humanity has yet to fully understand what the particular Forerunner device they have on hand (a quote in Spartan Ops made act parison that for all they know, they could be banging around a Forerunner equivalent of a nuke like a monkey because of the sound it makes), let alone utilising the Forerunner tech to their fullest potential. An example would be UNSC Slipspace engines post war. In Hunters in the Dark, reversed engineered Forerunner engines can roughly travel 830 light years a day, while Forerunner engines during the Forerunner Saga can travel across the galaxy instantaneously, and theoretically the Audacity could traveled to Path Kathona instantaneousy without taking Slipspace reconciliation into account.

Honestly, I would be surprised if the UNSC can fully reverse engine Forerunner Coffee Machines. A Human research station developing something like the composer, something that was both experimental AND utilises Neural Physics is COMPLETELY out of the question.
The Infinity's engines are forerunner.
And even then, Infinity's crew barely understood any of it during the Requiem Campaign
What interests me about the Current state of the universe is that some of the AIs like Roland and Black Box are still LOYAL to the UNSC
Which is great having friendly AIs and seeing their reasoning is going to be pretty sweet

And I would love for Black Box to make an appearance and start talking -Yoink- about Cortana
I wonder if Cortana will create her own non-Promethean constructs. Maybe an equivalent to her cherished Spartans?

There have been several clues in armor descriptions, regarding Mjolnir armors made for mass production, for small companies, etc.

If Cortana can get her hands on that, she could turn it to her advantage.

Hopefully, in Halo 6 the Created faction will become more than a bastardized Forerunner faction. This could be the chance to make something new.
I really like that this has a bit of (I would assume) post H5 story. I will take any little shred I can get!
:)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3