Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 2-26-15: Second to None

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
This week in Canon Fodder, we give Second Story a second look, and add some heroic helljumpers to the Universe section.

Read more here...

<3
Grim
A lot of references to the discovery of the Portal to the Ark, but I'm still wondering whether Buck's squad actually participated in the Battle of Installation 00.
Well Grim. The Second stories are interesting. Talking about going deep into them.

Have anyone here seen the Back to the Future reference in the Recon-14 second story. Its in the text and very easy to miss.

Something about "1.21 Gw" xD
Leave it to Microsoft to make people buy a completely different OS just to watch some videos.
Second stories, I liked those.

I don't know if you read the feedback I posted for Spartans, I talked about how the clone wars. I think I might have mentioned how it brought 'the star wars universe to life'.
Fleshing out other worlds like Aleria helps bring out the halo universe more to life. It's interesting how there are third world colonies in halo. Quite an interesting aspect indeed.

I was hoping to find out the Rookie's name.
I'd like to download halo channel app but it's not on windows 8.1RT it seems..
Well, here's hoping we find out what The Rookie's initials "J.D." stand for in "New Blood" (James Dean? John Danger?). So, Gaines is KIA. I can now quietly retire my speculation on her being part of Locke's Spartan team.
erickyboo wrote:
Fleshing out other worlds like Aleria helps bring out the halo universe more to life. It's interesting how there are third world colonies in halo.
The concept of a "third world" originally classified nations during the Cold War that didn't align themselves with the associated factions led by the United States or the Soviet Union. It was merely convienient that the vast majority of those nations deemed to be in the third world were now independent from European and American colonial authority. As such, their domestic and international political, economic, trade, defense, and cultural power had been weakened from the start with western imperialism stripping these nations of their agency and autonomy. It was easy to incorrectly apply the notion of the "third world" to economic ability rather than their ideological standing with the two reigning superpowers at the time.

What you see with Aleria and the Outer Colonies as a whole is a lot of what those nations went through under the sort of colonial rule Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Oceania faced from the 15th to 20th centuries, and are encountering now with neocolonialism in the 21st century. Applying Cold War concepts to centuries-old and sadly future examples doesn't really make sense.
Grizzlei wrote:
erickyboo wrote:
Fleshing out other worlds like Aleria helps bring out the halo universe more to life. It's interesting how there are third world colonies in halo.

The concept of a "third world" originally classified nations during the Cold War that didn't align themselves with the associated factions led by the United States or the Soviet Union. It was merely convienient that the vast majority of those nations deemed to be in the third world were now independent from European and American colonial authority. As such, their domestic and international political, economic, trade, defense, and cultural power had been weakened from the start with western imperialism stripping these nations of their former autonomous abilities. It was easy to incorrectly apply the notion of the "third world" to economic ability rather than their ideological standing with the two reigning superpowers at the time.

What you see with Aleria and the Outer Colonies as a whole is a lot of what those nations went through under the sort of colonial rule Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Oceania faced from the 15th to 20th centuries, and are encountering now with neocolonialism in the 21st century.
I know, if I recall during the conversation between ONI agent and the guy who talks about the tug, they mention aleria being a third world colony I think.
erickyboo wrote:
Grizzlei wrote:
erickyboo wrote:

The concept of a "third world" originally classified nations during the Cold War that didn't align themselves with the associated factions led by the United States or the Soviet Union. It was merely convienient that the vast majority of those nations deemed to be in the third world were now independent from European and American colonial authority. As such, their domestic and international political, economic, trade, defense, and cultural power had been weakened from the start with western imperialism stripping these nations of their former autonomous abilities. It was easy to incorrectly apply the notion of the "third world" to economic ability rather than their ideological standing with the two reigning superpowers at the time.

What you see with Aleria and the Outer Colonies as a whole is a lot of what those nations went through under the sort of colonial rule Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Oceania faced from the 15th to 20th centuries, and are encountering now with neocolonialism in the 21st century.

I know, if I recall during the conversation between ONI agent and the guy who talks about the tug, they mention aleria being a third world colony I think.
Keep in mind that sometimes you have to remember the perspective and the bias of those particular characters as well.

Grim
erickyboo wrote:

Keep in mind that sometimes you have to remember the perspective and the bias of those particular characters as well.

Grim
I absolutely agree with you there. Halo has been nothing short of perspective between its characters and ideologies, and perhaps even the stories we enjoy. I just took the opportunity to be a know-it-all showoff. :P
So, I have to mention this. In the summaries for Buck's squad members, all of them are listed as "serves within the ODSTs/ONI", except for Mickey. His description merely says "was a UNSC Marine and an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper". Was this intentional? No death on his part is mentioned, so I'm assuming it wasn't intended to imply his being gone. It just seems odd he's the only one listed in the past tense.

EDIT: Whoa, so the Rookie is the junior ODST from the short story Dirt in Halo Evolutions? Wow.
Ah, interesting. If I recall, Sedra is a 'poor' colony according to some perspectives?

There is one thing though. What is the type of pistol that Samantha Wisner uses? M6? M4? Different names for a same pistol?

I actually once had a dream where we moved to a human colony in halo.
So, I have to mention this. In the summaries for Buck's squad members, all of them are listed as "serves within the ODSTs/ONI", except for Mickey. His description merely says "was a UNSC Marine and an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper". Was this intentional? No death on his part is mentioned, so I'm assuming it wasn't intended to imply his being gone. It just seems odd he's the only one listed in the past tense.

EDIT: Whoa, so the Rookie is the junior ODST from the short story Dirt in Halo Evolutions? Wow.
Yeah, what's up with that? Don'tchu be killin' our characters off-screen now.

Lol, no worries; minor vestigial copyedit issue, no conspiracy to worry about. Made the adjustment so as to not further confuse anyone :-)

Grim
"Even a broken ring can surround us in danger"

Always a nice little tidbit in those Base64 drops.

I find it fascinating how deeply rooted that issue was within the universe at the time, seeing all the branches of ONI react to that fragment of the ring is quite interesting to me.
A good read, if a lot more light on new info than the last one.

Minor nitpick: if Aleria is an outer colony world, meaning it must've been settled after 2390 (when the "colonization of the Inner Colonies was fully underway" according to the original Halo timeline), how could Mols'Desias have been formed in 2349?

Lol, no worries; minor vestigial copyedit issue, no conspiracy to worry about. Made the adjustment so as to not further confuse anyone :-)

Grim
So we can live in the hope that Saber Team's off-screen KIA-fication was a "vestigial copyedit issue" too? Sorry, but I simply can't stand the prevailing uncertainty over their fate.
So now we have FIXER to add into the list of secret ONI codenames like SURGEON and COALMINER. Man, who are these people?
So now we have FIXER to add into the list of secret ONI codenames like SURGEON and COALMINER. Man, who are these people?
I think they're one mystery that will be shrouded in the fog for some time just like the Forerunners and the Precursors once were. Hopefully they'll have something just as good in store for them like we got with The Forerunner Saga. I'm sure that all depends on a game with them heavily involved or at least with their analysis and exploits really influencing the story.

They've been behind a lot of what has happened in Halo for a half century. Their grasp on every facet of human culture and an understanding of what makes the Covenant tick is astounding. Kinda weird to think that so few Halo fans know about how integral to the fabric of the universe they really are.
Idio7smg wrote:
"Even a broken ring can surround us in danger"

Always a nice little tidbit in those Base64 drops.

I find it fascinating how deeply rooted that issue was within the universe at the time, seeing all the branches of ONI react to that fragment of the ring is quite interesting to me.
This ^ couldn't agree more, loved reading through the data drop, this stuff was always great to find and decode :)
Soon I will have a typed up record of most of the text in the Second stories. And I will show you all it. Cause of the info they give. ^^
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3