Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 2-5-15: Beta Late Than Never

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This week in Canon Fodder, get a deeper understanding of the meaning behind the maps of the Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta. Plus, new entries in the Universe section!

Read more here...

-Grim
Reserved
Edit: I like this update! Nice info, I was looking forward to it! I saw it was Thursday and I got excited. I also misspell reserved, ah.
erickyboo wrote:
Reaerved
You are obviously so excited you aren't even using real words to express your joy. This makes me happy.
erickyboo wrote:
Reaerved

You are obviously so excited you aren't even using real words to express your joy. This makes me happy.
You should rename Undiminished Entelechy to Reaerved.
Awesome read, to be sure! Just a couple questions:

1. Who is the Prophet we see on the "Truth" map? Is that indeed the Prophet of Stewardship?
2. What kind of ship is Undiminished Entelechy? It doesn't look like any ship we've seen before.

But again, awesome! I cannot express enough gratitude for these Canon Fodder blogs!
erickyboo wrote:
Reaerved

So...
Ahhaahaa newcannunfodder? Yibee!

Anyhow... Nice to see some new Universe entries!
They're probably going to go relatively unnoticed compared to the H5G updates (I'd be more excited about those if I played Xbox One), but for any lore nuts like me they're a real treat. Nice to see some new canonical grounding for the beta maps!
I think IGN said the ship was a CCS-class battlecruiser from Thel's fleet, but this may not be canon. Also, I'm glad we've got a few details on the maps, I thought we would have to wait until a hypothetical Halo 5: The Essential Visual Guide. It would be great if someday you could also elaborate on the settings of old maps (Halo 1, etc), many are still quite mysterious. It's also interesting to see that 343i are finally reusing Installation 05.
Imrane 117 wrote:
I think IGN said the ship was a CCS-class battlecruiser from Thel's fleet, but this may not be canon. Also, I'm glad we've got a few details on the maps, I thought we would have to wait until a hypothetical Halo 5: The Essential Visual Guide. It would be great if someday you could also elaborate on the settings of old maps (Halo 1, etc), many are still quite mysterious. It's also interesting to see that 343i are finally reusing Installation 05.
Definitely not a CCS. Too small, by the look of it. Plus, the huge thrusters on each side are unlike anything I recall seeing on any Covenant ship.
The blurb for "Pegasus" refers to Installation 05 as intact. Ghosts of Onyx (p. 195) mentions an effort by the Sangheili to glass the surface of Delta Halo to halt the spread of the Flood. The Encyclopedia (First Edition, p. 186) reiterates this by saying, "Having been cauterized and quarantined by the Sangheili fleets, [Installation] 05 now sits dormant." Was the glassing operation limited in scope or has it been retconned outright?

Once again I'm very happy to learn more tidbits of Halo lore. It was nice to see obscure subjects like Purity of Spirit and Andesia referenced again. The introduction described my outlook toward multiplayer perfectly. I'm not really interested in playing online; I just want to know the fiction behind each map, armor set, and so on.

The ships that are visible have nothing to do with the original ships in Thel's fleet, they are completely new ones (for the sake of simulation). It's explained in the article (and Catalog said it a while ago).

Note also that the location inside the ship is the cruiser deck, similar to that of the Pious Inquisitor. (Halo: The Essential Visual Guide says Midship and Heretic are set on the cruiser deck - as in the deck of a boat). So, if the location is really similar, it may be the same kind of ship. Of course, there are differences, so it may be something else too.

EDIT: Installation 05 was glassed, but don't forget what the Assembly said: it's impossible for the Covenant to glass a whole planet. So they probably glassed the most infected parts of the ring, in order to contain the Flood. ~6 years later, it's normal that some areas are somehow habitable. Don't forget also that Alpha Shard's surface was devastated, but still pretty okay and there were water, a little bit of vegetation, etc. Installation 05 is much more intact that the shard, so it's okay if they say the surface has survived the glassing.
Imrane 117 wrote:
The ships that are visible have nothing to do with the original ships in Thel's fleet, they are completely new ones (for the sake of simulation). It's explained in the article (and Catalog said it a while ago).

It says they can swap out new ships, not necessarily that the ones we see are new ones (canonically). Besides, that doesn't address my main question: what class of ship are the ones that we see?

Imrane 117 wrote:
Note also that the location inside the ship is the cruiser deck, similar to that of the Pious Inquisitor. (Halo: The Essential Visual Guide says Midship and Heretic are set on the cruiser deck - as in the deck of a boat). So, if the location is really similar, it may be the same kind of ship. Of course, there are differences, so it may be something else too.
Pious Inquisitor was CCS-Battlecruiser, but these new ships are most definitely note. They bear very little resemblance.
Toa Freak wrote:
Awesome read, to be sure! Just a couple questions:

1. Who is the Prophet we see on the "Truth" map? Is that indeed the Prophet of Stewardship?
2. What kind of ship is Undiminished Entelechy? It doesn't look like any ship we've seen before.

But again, awesome! I cannot express enough gratitude for these Canon Fodder blogs!
Indeed it is.
I'm not saying that they are necessarily new as in post-war ships, just new as in it's the first time we get to see them. Like the Corvette in Halo: Reach, it was a new class of ship (for us, in the real world). Of course the "Truth" ships may be post-war ships, or old ships that we had never seen so far. But we don't know what they are, so we'll just have to wait. It's like the "Midnight" ships in Halo 4. 343 will tell us everything later on.
erickyboo wrote:
Reaerved

Yes! I got so excited, I misspelled reserved! I was waiting for this. It was Thursday so I got excited!

I really like the descriptions! I thought it was an AMG building on empire. I also like to spend a lot of time figuring maps out, wondering what the structures were for and other things like that.

I'm also now interested in the capabilities of wargames. It really engages into Spartans then? I wonder if it could be used with non neural linked people to simulate an area.

Bubble shield, ah, integrating in MJOLNIR? Let me guess, Spartan strike!
- Forerunner Warrior-Servant bubble shield (never really seen)
- Drop shield (ONI)
- Bubble Shield (Covenant)
- Post-2555 ONI devices

So the Bubble Shield was indeed Covenant? Interesting. We might also see the return of the bubble shield in future games (Spartan Strike / Halo 5).
So... What the heck is happening at delta halo. I misread things when I'm excited, especially with the halo 5 updates from the blog post, but I'm pretty sure it said mysterious forerunner structures popping up overnight on delta halo. With sentinel forces acting really aggressive. Did I read that wrong? Is that cause for more hype? Is delta halo going to be an important location again?
Either a loose explanation for Forge mode or a hint at future stories.

I think it's a bit of both.
The surface may be glassed but it doesn't prevent the ring from repairing and rebuilding itself. Even Regret mentions that plants rapidly grow as part of the repair systems. As Imrane said, it's also unlikely the entire surface was glassed.

I'd imagine the sentinels weren't too happy with the unauthorized glassing either.
Structures also appeared on installation 07 in uh... not sure what the date in Silentium was.

Grim, you might be proud to know what I have gained a reputation in the MMORPG, Star Wars: The Old Republic for talking about halo and teaching about halo. A few nights ago, some guy wanted to know more details about halo so I explained and explained. It's fun when my reputation precedes me and people mention halo to me.
erickyboo wrote:
Structures also appeared on installation 07 in uh... not sure what the date in Silentium was.

Grim, you might be proud to know what I have gained a reputation in the MMORPG, Star Wars: The Old Republic for talking about halo and teaching about halo. A few nights ago, some guy wanted to know more details about halo so I explained and explained. It's fun when my reputation precedes me and people mention halo to me.
Keep preaching the good word, Spartan! :-)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2