Canon Fodder 3-12-15: Novel Ideas

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. ...
  6. 6
This addition to the page has really confused me.
Quote:
Mendicant Bias was finally defeated during a final battle against the Forerunners’ last remaining fleets, led by another AI known as Offensive Bias. This battle came to an end as the Halo Array was fired, eliminating any previous advantage that Mendicant Bias held. Subsequently, Mendicant was sentenced and locked away on the Ark installation. This would not be permanent, however, and sometime after the activation of Halo, the AI would escape into a Forerunner dreadnought, attempting to make amends for its crimes against its makers by aiding humanity. The ancilla’s efforts were cut short, however, with the dreadnought crashed onto Janjur Qom, the nascent homeworld of the San’Shyuum.
This potentially changes my entire understanding of Mendicant Bias from what was established in the last 8 years.

Mendicant Bias sought out "the shard that was lost" in Halo 3, he's attempting to rebuild himself on the Ark by unifying the two halves - the half on the Keyship, and the half within the tomb. He's able to properly communicate with John once those two halves are reunited, the text from Mendicant changes from being fragmented and cryptic to wholesome and understandable.

Now, we're being told that Mendicant escaped his tomb, got a Keyship and crashed on Janjur Qom? There were never shards of him acting separately?

Is there something I'm missing here, Grim?
I have a feeling the MB thing is a retcon to the already fairly retconned h3 terminals.

I think without this change it's really odd that MB would have a keyship for a portal that hadn't even been built when he acquired it. Heck, this is fairly odd in either version of the flood/forerunner war.

The Rebirth(?) comics showed keyships being used to repopulate worlds, so clearly the Ark had some supply of them. Which is also odd, because didn't the librarian claim she destroyed them?

That said, now it is really curious how he crashed.
Please have hard copies made of the eBooks please! The eBooks are NOT available for download in South Africa due to something called copyright restrictions according to Amazon. What the YOINK! Not available to download from the alternative sites either. YOINK again. How will I ever get to read New Blood and the other Halo eBook coming out now? Somebody please HELP!
Please have hard copies made of the eBooks please! The eBooks are NOT available for download in South Africa due to something called copyright restrictions according to Amazon. What the YOINK! Not available to download from the alternative sites either. YOINK again. How will I ever get to read New Blood and the other Halo eBook coming out now? Somebody please HELP!
Calm down. a) There are other retailers b) You can change your locale
I have a feeling the MB thing is a retcon to the already fairly retconned h3 terminals.

I think without this change it's really odd that MB would have a keyship for a portal that hadn't even been built when he acquired it. Heck, this is fairly odd in either version of the flood/forerunner war.

The Rebirth(?) comics showed keyships being used to repopulate worlds, so clearly the Ark had some supply of them. Which is also odd, because didn't the librarian claim she destroyed them?

The aspects of H3'S Terminals that have been retconned are the minute, subjective details which can be explained by the data stored within themdegrading due to the loss of the Domain (like H4's Terminals) or Mendicant Bias only telling John certain details. The Mendicant Bias 'reconstruction' story however is live, it's happening during the events of H3's story itself as Mendicant is attempting to talk to John in real time on the Ark and Installation 04B. Retconning that makes no sense.

The original implication regarding the Keyships was that it was possible that the Forerunners attempted to recreate the conditions of the human-San'Shyuum alliance to recreate the Flood cure, as this was the one and only thing the Timeless One appears to have possibly lied about. It was always very odd that the Keyship with Mendicant Bias, who wished to take humanity to the Ark where they would discover their destiny as the Mantle's inheritors, ended up on Janjur Qom with the San'Shyuum. Two ancient allies - one given the door, the other given the key. That sense of connectivity would utterly dissipate if this ends up being a retcon...
I'm really feeling another awesome anthology with all these Halo short novels. Maybe shortly after the final one is released digitally?
Any love for the Spartan III's and 343's terrible reasoning for killing off the Gamma's?
Any love for the Spartan III's and 343's terrible reasoning for killing off the Gamma's?
There are some 300-320 Gammas remaining of the original 330 who were trained and augmented in the training company. They're having quite an easy go at life compared to the fates of the Spartans who fought during PROMETHEUS and TORPEDO.

Calm down. a) There are other retailers b) You can change your locale
Thanks for the advice dude but New Blood is not available for purchase and download from ANY retailer here unless it seems I literally pack up and move to another continent. Literally. Please excuse my frustration.
Shouldn't the "Dreadnought" be referred to as a Keyship? as the latest book, Broken Circle, informs us that it was not actually armed. And Catalog constantly referred to it as a Conservation Lifeboat. Using the Term dreadnought is a little confusing for anyone that isn't a lore buff, leading them to assume that it is actually a warship. When it has been consistently established that it was not... at all.... That being part of the beautiful irony, that a "lifeboat", running at less than full power, could move and power High Charity.

Internal consistency please!

The aspects of H3'S Terminals that have been retconned are the minute, subjective details which can be explained by the data stored within themdegrading due to the loss of the Domain (like H4's Terminals) or Mendicant Bias only telling John certain details. The Mendicant Bias 'reconstruction' story however is live, it's happening during the events of H3's story itself as Mendicant is attempting to talk to John in real time on the Ark and Installation 04B. Retconning that makes no sense.

The original implication regarding the Keyships was that it was possible that the Forerunners attempted to recreate the conditions of the human-San'Shyuum alliance to recreate the Flood cure, as this was the one and only thing the Timeless One appears to have possibly lied about. It was always very odd that the Keyship with Mendicant Bias, who wished to take humanity to the Ark where they would discover their destiny as the Mantle's inheritors, ended up on Janjur Qom with the San'Shyuum. Two ancient allies - one given the door, the other given the key. That sense of connectivity would utterly dissipate if this ends up being a retcon...
I didn't get that implication... it seems more like a theory of yours rather than the it being implied. Seems understandable enough to me: Part of Mendicant Bias escapes and crashes into Janjur Qom. He seeks atonement and wants to help humans still. Later, he tries to reconnect himself and communicate with John.
5 Halo novels? Holy sweet mother of the Didact! That's freaking awesome! And the "Shadow Of Intent"? Oh snap! This is really going to be an awesome year for Halo, even outside of the games.

Also, Honor Guard Banshees? The sexinesss never stops. I've always imagined a Honor Guard Plasma Rifle, tbh.
Boba772 wrote:
RABIH117 wrote:
Can't wait! I still haven't read New Blood. Do you guys recommend or should I just check out summaries etc? I am kinda skeptic on reading some novels because I didn't enjoy the first two books of the Kilo Five series and I found the forerunner trilogy a little slow but still enjoyable. Just wondering if New Blood is a good read and gives us more info on upcoming Halo 5?

Thanks in advance fellow Halo fans!

Read it, I got done with it in around 6 hours total. It seems like it will give us some info on Halo 5 Guardians, but it may just be my imagination going wild. xD
Spoiler:
Show

And why not give them all a try at least? Good or bad it is worth trying. :) For me, Kilo-V was good and the first and third Forerunner books ruled, the second was extremely slow / boring. Still glad I gave them a chance though. :)
Thanks! Ya I've read most books but I just little time now to read so just checking if new blood is worth it. I might just do it. I guess it's digital only :(
Excuse my ignorance, but what does "coach built" mean in the context of the part about the banshee?
Excuse my ignorance, but what does "coach built" mean in the context of the part about the banshee?
It would refer to the broad lack of uniformity between unique variants, assembly forges, or down to the very airframe itself. For example, an individually crafted canopy for a T-26A Banshee would not necessarily integrate itself properly with a T-26A made by another forge. On a larger scale that same canopy design might have been pushed into mass production for an order of a thousand T-26A airframes. It would still not have any commonality with a T-26A manufactured elsewhere or even with an airframe from the same forge developed prior to its introduction.
Grizzlei wrote:

It would refer to the broad lack of uniformity between unique variants, assembly forges, or down to the very airframe itself. For example, an individually crafted canopy for a T-26A Banshee would not necessarily integrate itself properly with a T-26A made by another forge. On a larger scale that same canopy design might have been pushed into mass production for an order of a thousand T-26A airframes. It would still not have any commonality with a T-26A manufactured elsewhere or even with an airframe from the same forge developed prior to its introduction.
It also can refer to the more customized or "bespoke" nature of the craft. For example, early on in the life of the automobile, with certain manufacturers you might order a car, but all it really included was the "running gear" (chassis, engine, etc). You would then take it to a coachbuilder to build a body and interior to your particular specifications.

Grim
Grizzlei wrote:

Grizzlei wrote:

It also can refer to the more customized or "bespoke" nature of the craft. For example, early on in the life of the automobile, with certain manufacturers you might order a car, but all it really included was the "running gear" (chassis, engine, etc). You would then take it to a coachbuilder to build a body and interior to your particular specifications.

Grim
Alright, thanks. I assumed it meant something along those lines given the details we had been provided about covenant equipment elsewhere and their relative lack of standardization compared to the UNSC, but I wasn't sure and google was giving me very confusing answers that included even more perplexing terminology.
Halo: Hunters in the Dark... dear lord man details, these novels can not come soon enough!!
Halo: Hunters in the Dark... dear lord man details, these novels can not come soon enough!!
You know that book's been out since June, right? The only one left to be released is Shadow of Intent.
Shedrakzo wrote:
You know that book's been out since June, right? The only one left to be released is Shadow of Intent.
Plus resurrecting an 8-month old thread.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. ...
  6. 6