Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 4-22-16: Bits & Pieces

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This week in Canon Fodder, we take a literal closer look at Soldier variants, look back at Firefight, and more.

Read more here...

<3
Grim
Great article as always. Totally nice to hear that Venator was a GEN1 variant xD

Cant help but notice though, is the War Games map designations still a thing for Halo Reach related maps. Would of thought the Reach Maps would of had some.(kinda noticed a couple UE's have been lacking of them recently)
Indeed, it's something I'd love to go in and add to all of the corresponding entries, but there are only so many hours in the day lol. #WereItSoEasy
Oh I wasnt complaining. You do a great job as it is. XD

Was just curious about the Halo Reach ones seeing as that and Halo Wars have both yet to have Map designations publically given for their maps.(Though if Halo Wars maps get then I would be curious to the full extent of War Games simulations. Possible thing to answer for a future canon fodder) xD Thanks for saying they exist though.
So many fun memories of Halo on the 360. I think I have like 1,500 hundred hours of play in Halo Wars. Halo 3 was just phenomenal when it came out. With Reach I remember the bittersweet ending and arcade/rocket firefight. 343 I remember how cool it was that you put in the ability to switch between the old and new graphics of CE: Anniversary. I was late to the party of ODST, but of course it had some incredible soundtrack work.

And I think the Xbox One has a great future ahead for Halo. MCC had a rough start, but is fine now. MCC has turned out to be a great addition to Halo. It's so cool to have the classics all done in 60fps and in one collection. MCC is awesome! And I can't tell you how many matches of Warzone I've played in Halo 5. That is like my favorite mode ever in a Halo fps. I'm looking forward to firefight returning. And of course I'm extremely interested in Halo Wars 2.
I read about the new advanced control settings coming in the Memories of Reach update. I'm excited to try these out. The dead zone adjustment from a previous update seemed to really help out.
Soldiers are very strong and interesting! They are shown in scripted sequences to easily throw humans long distances effortlessly. I don't know if a soldier is stronger than a brute.

It might be fun to update the current articles with REQ variants too.
Grim, you are a king among men. Thank you for the soldier images, I love the Promethean enemies and have been dying to see such detailed enemies.
Think we'll ever get an idea where Jul 'Mdama (before their rebellion) managed to get ahold of Soldiers or how Cortana began manufacturing Soldiers? Could it be that the Soldiers fought on Kamchatka were local units already there before Jul arrived?
Grim, you are a king among men. Thank you for the soldier images, I love the Promethean enemies and have been dying to see such detailed enemies.
Glad you enjoyed the closer look. :-) Thanks for being involved!
My first time playing Halo was in 2007, playing Halo 3 at my friend's house. I was 7, and I remember seeing the main menu and hearing the music, and it made my 7-year-old heart skip a beat. I always made my friend mad because even though I didn't own the game or even an Xbox, I would always beat him. (Thanks gravity hammer!) When I was 10 my friend got Halo Reach, and still, it was magical. On my 11th birthday, that same friend gave me an Xbox 360, Halo 3, Halo Reach, and Halo CE Anniversary. He gave the games to me in the Halo 3 limited collector's edition Master Chief Helmet. It was the best gift I've ever received. First I played CEA, and seeing that curving horizon of Installation 04 brought tears to my eyes. The Flood gave me nightmares, Sergeant Johnson made me laugh, John made me brave. Then I played Reach. The story was sad and emotional, and seeing my spartan's red and yellow ODST helmet lying on the ground at the end is something I'll never forget. Halo 3 was my favorite, though. I loved finishing the fight, I loved saving Cortana, I loved hating the Gravemind and Truth, I loved the Arbiter's quest for honor. I cried when Miranda and Johnson died, I sat in awe as 04B emerged from the Ark, I wanted more as John closed that cryo-chamber on the Dawn. I got more. I read all the books, the comics, ect. Halo became a part of me. Then Halo 4 came out, and I got it for Christmas. It was AMAZING. The Didact was so powerful, I didn't know if John could beat him. Then I had to watch as Cortana left Chief in orbit around Earth, saying her goodbyes. It tore me to shreds inside. I then played the multiplayer. It was my first Halo with Xbox Live, and despite that I became very skilled at it. I even reached SR 130. Then an emotional crisis struck my life, and through all the pain, mental clinics, and transitions, I still came home every night and played Halo. In the end Halo most likely saved my life. I came out of it stronger, I finished the fight, and with this newfound strength, I beat every level of the MCC on Legendary, among many other non-Halo things. I now play Halo 5 almost every day, and I love it. Because of Halo I sit here today typing this message, with High Honors in school, a passionate love for science, and a girlfriend.

Thank you, Halo.

"A hero need not speak, for when he is gone, the world will speak for him."
[snip]
This was awesome, thanks so much for sharing! Before Halo I spent 20 years writing and producing science-based entertainment programming in FL, so I certainly share your passion there. We'll have to play sometime!

Again, thanks for sharing your experience :-)

<3
Grim
[snip]
This was awesome, thanks so much for sharing! Before Halo I spent 20 years writing and producing science-based entertainment programming in FL, so I certainly share your passion there. We'll have to play sometime!

Again, thanks for sharing your experience :-)

<3
Grim
Thanks! I'll add you to my friends. I'm not very good though. XD
erickyboo wrote:
Soldiers are very strong and interesting! They are shown in scripted sequences to easily throw humans long distances effortlessly. I don't know if a soldier is stronger than a brute.

I was just playing campaign the other day and it was the first time I really noticed the difference between the snipers and the regular soldiers. Mostly because I was looking at them through the scope of Nornfang on Legendary. I really love the slight changes to them that fit very well with what we would expect lore-wise of a more special, long-range focused unit.

On a separate, lore-related note, is there anything that is in the pipeline coming out that will better tie plot points in Halo 4 to the current state of the Universe? Particularly, I'm referring to the Librarian, and what she did to John-117. How did she affect him beyond making him immune to the composer, or was what happened only for the events of Halo 4 and the Composer?
Thanks for the renders Grim, we didn't get many of them when Halo 5 was released. (specifically for enemies) It's always interesting to see the details. I hope someday you will also tackle the Knights. I've seen here and there, in developer-released models, that they were of the Battlewagon and Commander variants (it's also in the image files' names, in the Halo 5 digital strategy guide). It was kind of surprising, as they look very different. Would've been cooler if they were separate ranks altogether, to be honest. But now I wonder if it has something to do with the different configurations that exist for Promethean weapons.
Wow! That Halo ground combat game is awesome!
@Grim

What exactly is the glowing core inside each soldier? Why do they make their cores look like holographic representations of their armor and give them faces and such? Is that just a hologram or is that a tangible, physical thing suspended in armor?
RIP 360 :(

Unfortunately I was late to the Halo party and started with Reach about a year into its life cycle after I recently got a 360 and quite frankly it didn't take long for me to get hooked on the Halo universe, I soon found myself buying the previous installments and having a blast and eventfully I ended up buying Halo 4 and Spartan Assault as well. Throughout my Halo journey up to Halo 5 the 360 was always there and never faltered and I can honestly say that I enjoyed every minuet I had with the 360 and Halo.

Here's to hoping the Xbox One and all future Halos will have a similar life span.

Also another good read Grim.
erickyboo wrote:

I was just playing campaign the other day and it was the first time I really noticed the difference between the snipers and the regular soldiers. Mostly because I was looking at them through the scope of Nornfang on Legendary. I really love the slight changes to them that fit very well with what we would expect lore-wise of a more special, long-range focused unit.

On a separate, lore-related note, is there anything that is in the pipeline coming out that will better tie plot points in Halo 4 to the current state of the Universe? Particularly, I'm referring to the Librarian, and what she did to John-117. How did she affect him beyond making him immune to the composer, or was what happened only for the events of Halo 4 and the Composer?
I've been really wanting to have some information about this as well. As much as I enjoyed Halo 5's campaign I felt it left us hanging on too much from Halo 4, I hope we get some resolution on some of these plot threads.
My first time playing Halo was in 2007, playing Halo 3 at my friend's house. I was 7, and I remember seeing the main menu and hearing the music, and it made my 7-year-old heart skip a beat. I always made my friend mad because even though I didn't own the game or even an Xbox, I would always beat him. (Thanks gravity hammer!) When I was 10 my friend got Halo Reach, and still, it was magical. On my 11th birthday, that same friend gave me an Xbox 360, Halo 3, Halo Reach, and Halo CE Anniversary. He gave the games to me in the Halo 3 limited collector's edition Master Chief Helmet. It was the best gift I've ever received. First I played CEA, and seeing that curving horizon of Installation 04 brought tears to my eyes. The Flood gave me nightmares, Sergeant Johnson made me laugh, John made me brave. Then I played Reach. The story was sad and emotional, and seeing my spartan's red and yellow ODST helmet lying on the ground at the end is something I'll never forget. Halo 3 was my favorite, though. I loved finishing the fight, I loved saving Cortana, I loved hating the Gravemind and Truth, I loved the Arbiter's quest for honor. I cried when Miranda and Johnson died, I sat in awe as 04B emerged from the Ark, I wanted more as John closed that cryo-chamber on the Dawn. I got more. I read all the books, the comics, ect. Halo became a part of me. Then Halo 4 came out, and I got it for Christmas. It was AMAZING. The Didact was so powerful, I didn't know if John could beat him. Then I had to watch as Cortana left Chief in orbit around Earth, saying her goodbyes. It tore me to shreds inside. I then played the multiplayer. It was my first Halo with Xbox Live, and despite that I became very skilled at it. I even reached SR 130. Then an emotional crisis struck my life, and through all the pain, mental clinics, and transitions, I still came home every night and played Halo. In the end Halo most likely saved my life. I came out of it stronger, I finished the fight, and with this newfound strength, I beat every level of the MCC on Legendary, among many other non-Halo things. I now play Halo 5 almost every day, and I love it. Because of Halo I sit here today typing this message, with High Honors in school, a passionate love for science, and a girlfriend.

Thank you, Halo.

"A hero need not speak, for when he is gone, the world will speak for him."
Nice post.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2