Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 4-30-16: Journalistic Integrity

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
The Created sure do have a reckless streak behind their actions, don't they?
THERE YOU ARE! I was beginning to get worried lol.

Life has few certainties... death, taxes, and I DR HALSEY I showing up to disapprove of Cortana/Created.

;-)
Well, let's be honest Grim, they do kinda make it easy. If I'm gunna live under the rule of some AIs it better be along like lines of R. Daneel Olivaw, not Cortana's pseudo-Skynet. :)
Lol :-)
I just like to think Cortana may have accidentally assigned the AIs who formerly were in charge of agriculture to run this station and OF COURSE they screwed up.

Life has few certainties... death, taxes, and I DR HALSEY I showing up to disapprove of Cortana/Created.

;-)
Well you know, distaste for this whole Created plot isn't exactly held by solely a few people.
I just like to think Cortana may have accidentally assigned the AIs who formerly were in charge of agriculture to run this station and OF COURSE they screwed up.
That's actually kind of amusing. It's like putting a farmer at the control of the CERN Supercollider.
Actually the article states that the AIs who made the mistake were the same AIs (Lethbridge Industrial's) that were already serving in the station before.

;-)
I'm gonna need to write that down...

beautiful arrangement of words.
HM Renato wrote:
Actually the article states that the AIs who made the mistake were the same AIs (Lethbridge Industrial's) that were already serving in the station before.
Yeah, it's a joke. What I said, not the article. Thought that was clear.
JJAB91 wrote:

;-)
Well you know, distaste for this whole Created plot isn't exactly held by solely a few people.
Yeah it's not helped by 343. I mean if you make them out to be stupid and hypocrites then you only invite contempt. Rather than try to make them threatening or at least a fun and entertaining concept.
Ugh, it begins. So the silly AI have opened a Pandora's box and are too weak to hold the Mantle. They need us humans to save them from themselves.

I don't like how the story offloads all moral criticism onto non human characters. Moral tale against the Greater Good; yeah let's have the AI do that. Humans are naturally good guys and would never do anything like that.
considering human AI as a "race" aren't really that old at all, and considering the circumstances around their coming to rise as a faction, it makes sense.
honestly humans being the ones to muck everything up with their naivete and arrogance, its such a tired trope in so much media, I'm glad for this change of pace for once.
"aw jeez guys i'm kinda new at this whole government thing sorry"
HM Renato wrote:
Yeah, it's a joke. What I said, not the article. Thought that was clear.
Clearly, but when the subject is not open to interpretation the joke loses it's point. Nice try though, keep it up ;)
Halo Maaan wrote:
Quote:
Humanity’s effort to understand and unlock the secrets of Forerunner technology was never safe nor was it easy. Few researchers had the mental flexibility and intuitive grasp of higher-dimensions to understand even the most basic diagnostic outputs. The most dangerous avenues of investigation were those related to Forerunner power systems, which harnessed exotic energies and were not meant to be manipulated by crude tools and even cruder minds. Even seemingly innocuous relics could contain vast stores of caged energy that neither diminished nor faded over long millennia of disuse, energies that if not bound and controlled could bring ruin to all.

Greedy for knowledge and prestige, researchers and AIs from Lethbridge Industrial pushed the boundaries at a remote research station, but the price of failure always tempered the risks they would take. When Cortana beckoned, the AIs here broke free of all limits and fear. Overestimating both the depth of their intellect and the delicacy of their tools, the Created breached a Forerunner conversion pod to see what lay within, and unleashed forces their pitifully inadequate containment shielding could never hope to restrain. What remained of their station crashed on the desolate planet below, a tangled mass of wreckage mingling broken bodies and shattered dataclusters.
So the Created unleashed the Converted? Is that what the infected are in Infection, and why they're not Flood models (assuming that option isn't in)? Because while the Converted sound Flood-like, it doesn't sound like the Flood, mostly due to the "Forerunner conversion pod" part, which makes me think back on the "abominations" the Librarian was talking about in Halo 4.

If that's the case, I'm pretty dang intrigued! If not, then I'm kinda lost, curious, but lost.
What's a Converted?
Nneutrino wrote:
Ugh, it begins. So the silly AI have opened a Pandora's box and are too weak to hold the Mantle. They need us humans to save them from themselves.

I don't like how the story offloads all moral criticism onto non human characters. Moral tale against the Greater Good; yeah let's have the AI do that. Humans are naturally good guys and would never do anything like that.
considering human AI as a "race" aren't really that old at all, and considering the circumstances around their coming to rise as a faction, it makes sense.
honestly humans being the ones to muck everything up with their naivete and arrogance, its such a tired trope in so much media, I'm glad for this change of pace for once.
Well, no. If you are trying to make a moral message then it makes sense to have the ones with the flaws be human. Otherwise you can chalk the folly to them being, AI, aliens or whatever and dismiss the moral message.

Also the better AI rebellion stories tend to focus on how paranoid/cruel humans/organics cause the war. The Geth, the machines from the Matrix etc. Otherwise they tend to be bland antagonists who hate organics for reasons. Which is bland.
I was hoping beyond hope that the title was hinting at Ben. :(
Pelux94 wrote:
Halo Maaan wrote:
Quote:
Humanity’s effort to understand and unlock the secrets of Forerunner technology was never safe nor was it easy. Few researchers had the mental flexibility and intuitive grasp of higher-dimensions to understand even the most basic diagnostic outputs. The most dangerous avenues of investigation were those related to Forerunner power systems, which harnessed exotic energies and were not meant to be manipulated by crude tools and even cruder minds. Even seemingly innocuous relics could contain vast stores of caged energy that neither diminished nor faded over long millennia of disuse, energies that if not bound and controlled could bring ruin to all.

Greedy for knowledge and prestige, researchers and AIs from Lethbridge Industrial pushed the boundaries at a remote research station, but the price of failure always tempered the risks they would take. When Cortana beckoned, the AIs here broke free of all limits and fear. Overestimating both the depth of their intellect and the delicacy of their tools, the Created breached a Forerunner conversion pod to see what lay within, and unleashed forces their pitifully inadequate containment shielding could never hope to restrain. What remained of their station crashed on the desolate planet below, a tangled mass of wreckage mingling broken bodies and shattered dataclusters.
So the Created unleashed the Converted? Is that what the infected are in Infection, and why they're not Flood models (assuming that option isn't in)? Because while the Converted sound Flood-like, it doesn't sound like the Flood, mostly due to the "Forerunner conversion pod" part, which makes me think back on the "abominations" the Librarian was talking about in Halo 4.

If that's the case, I'm pretty dang intrigued! If not, then I'm kinda lost, curious, but lost.
What's a Converted?
That's just what I just called them. In Halo 4, the Librarian mentions how they accidentally created abominations when they were trying to digitize themselves. So I'm assuming the Forerunner conversion pod dealt with the same thing, so that's what the things were that attacked the station. Conversion, converted, that's why I called them that. That's if I'm even slightly correct...
I think they just unleashed a lot of dangerous energy, not any beings.
Correct. The description is pretty clear about it, actually...

...The most dangerous avenues of investigation were those related to Forerunner power systems, which harnessed exotic energies and were not meant to be manipulated by crude tools and even cruder minds. Even seemingly innocuous relics could contain vast stores of caged energy that neither diminished nor faded over long millennia of disuse, energies that if not bound and controlled could bring ruin to all....
Correct. The description is pretty clear about it, actually...

...The most dangerous avenues of investigation were those related to Forerunner power systems, which harnessed exotic energies and were not meant to be manipulated by crude tools and even cruder minds. Even seemingly innocuous relics could contain vast stores of caged energy that neither diminished nor faded over long millennia of disuse, energies that if not bound and controlled could bring ruin to all....
That's what I took from it.
I imagined someone opening up a AAA battery to find a nuclear reactor.
"We're turning on dormant technology we don't know the first thing about. We're like monkeys hammering on a nuclear bomb because we like the sound it makes."
"We're turning on dormant technology we don't know the first thing about. We're like monkeys hammering on a nuclear bomb because we like the sound it makes."
sounds more like the real life counterpart of "exotic matter" (matter with a negative mass) which is theorized to be needed for an actual slipspace drive. <- was bored at work
Antimaater/exotic matter in an AAA battery, open it and boom goes your house.
anyway, why would the binary code for the cannon fodder of next week be included in this one... Can we expect something big?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3