Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 4-8-16: Looking Glassed

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This week in Canon Fodder, we muse about Meridian tech, chat ship shop and more.

Read more here...

<3
Grim
Sweet, more ships! Nice to see an article on the UNSC Frigate as well, considering the large Strident thread already discussing her capabilities lol.
I was waiting for information on the new vehicles on Meridian, thanks.

Though we didn't get any info on the mobile mining platforms seen on the multplayer map "The Rig". :(
Sweet, more ships! Nice to see an article on the UNSC Frigate as well, considering the large Strident thread already discussing her capabilities lol.
That was awesome, I do wonder if the strident forms in fact the backbone of the UNSC navy.
Makes you wonder if he does this based on what we're talking about sometimes
Makes you wonder if he does this based on what we're talking about sometimes
To a certain level, I do actually often try and take community discussion here (and other places) and incorporate it into content plans. To varying degrees of course. I enjoy making you all feel as much a part of the process as we can, whenever possible at least.
Another hidden Grim post? What secrets could it hold?
Sorry grim! I've been building a covenant forge map.
Ooo! I've actually wondered about those meridian vehicles! Isn't nightfall one also made by the Oros? And yay more info on the stridents. With the new improvements, these things are probably very great. And heavy coil Mac guns too. I wonder what their speed and mass of the shots are. The old UNSC commonwealth fired its projectile at 64 kilotons I think. With a heavy cool I guess it would go much faster and be much better at range.

Not that you have to answer but I wonder if you think if one or two stridents could handle a standard star destroyer.
Another hidden Grim post? What secrets could it hold?
The Organon!
Clearly it is used as temporary storage from the domain during its maintenance cycle.
Also maybe you should invite some of us to play firefight!
*takes a peak at the new canon fodder*
Did Christmas come early this year? :D

Awesome Canon Fodder Grim. I was honestly now expecting to see something come out from that Strident Class Frigate thread I had made, but thanks Grim. I love seeing more on on the ship to ship side of Halo and I'd love to see more on this in the future. Just... Awesome Grim. :)
erickyboo wrote:
Sorry grim! I've been building a covenant forge map.
Ooo! I've actually wondered about those meridian vehicles! Isn't nightfall one also made by the Oros? And yay more info on the stridents. With the new improvements, these things are probably very great. And heavy coil Mac guns too. I wonder what their speed and mass of the shots are. The old UNSC commonwealth fired its projectile at 64 kilotons I think. With a heavy cool I guess it would go much faster and be much better at range.

Not that you have to answer but I wonder if you think if one or two stridents could handle a standard star destroyer.
Actually that takes into assumption that the round fired by the Commonwealth was 600 tons that's used by the Charon Class Frigates in 2552 (as per the Halo: Encyclopaedia). However, in Halo: Contact Harvest, it's revealed that Pre-War UNSC vessels fired rounds that weigh 160 tons, giving a yield of about 17 kilotons.

However, in the Storm Cutscene in Halo 3, we witness Charon Class Frigates fire MAC rounds and they reach the Keyship at the centre of the portal in a second. Given how the portal was 117km in length, and the Keyship was in the centre (halfway), the MAC round had to travel at least 58.5km/s to reach the Keyship. Using this velocity, and the 600 ton figure from the Encyclopaedia, you get a yield of about 245 kilotons.

Of course, this velocityare still rather slow compared to the Covenant (Plasma Torpedoes travel 150,000km/s, and energy projectors fire at light speed), but firepower wise is certainly a boost (thou a do recall people calculating Covenant Plasma Torpedoes to be around single digit megatons, and energy projectors being gigatons worth of TNT).

edit: in regards to is new information, it's interesting to see just how much UNSC Naval weaponry has ironed since the beginning of the war. Considering how 2 MAC hits didn't do much on a Covenant ship a third of its size (taking from the novelisation of the events of the Battle of Chi Ceti IV), now the MAC could defeat most Covenant Capital ships after its shields are down, that's a significant improvement.
Nice to see more info on UNSC ships and the Command rank of the Storm harness.
Hmm do I sense a challenge to get all P2 colours recorded. ;)

That said. Grim I believe we may need more context with some.
For example if the P2 Storm harness in KI is a command rank one. What is the Green-like Zealot harness.
More ship info?!? Awesome! I always love to hear about the military and practical tech behind Halo. Hopefuly we'll get some more Cannon Fodders like this one in the future!
erickyboo wrote:
Also maybe you should invite some of us to play firefight!
I think it would be a good idea to spread the love and try to play with people other than their friends.

It might make some days, as well as help build good will and general enthusiasm.
Excuse me while I go ask Tom French to add some (or maybe all) of the mining vehicles to forge. I asked him to add Riptide's Grunt toy and well, that happened!
CIA391 wrote:
For example if the P2 Storm harness in KI is a command rank one.
I have a question about this skin too: its called the command-rank Storm, but the gold is referred to as being "of the former Covenant empire". Seeing as how the Covenant was mostly purple, is it safe to assume that the Storm rank that existed in the Covenant wore gold Storm armor?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2