Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 4-9-15: Texas Toast

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This week in Canon Fodder, we chat sentimental cinematics, #HUNTtheTRUTH, and sound the call for content. Plus, new entries in the Universe!

Read more here...

<3
Grim
I like Texas Toast and I live in Texas.

Great read!
Pretty good read. Like the new entries too. Wish they had one on the Prophet of Truth or Mercy.
A great read as always Grim!
...And nowhere in the list of qualified community content was writing mentioned :/

Anyhow, nice Canon Fodder, Grim!
...And nowhere in the list of qualified community content was writing mentioned :/

Slightly more challenging to get into the Halo Channel, no? Lol

Slightly more challenging to get into the Halo Channel, no? Lol
If I had an Xbox, it might be slightly easier. Hmm. I have some Silent Cartographer Evolved vids (the Dubstep DMR and Noodler are priceless) and some H2V multiplayer videos, but nothing really lore-related. I suppose I do have some sketches, but nothing noteworthy, I'm afraid :|

Just you wait though, Grim, someday I'll write my way into 343i... Halo Channel or no Halo Channel :)
If for some strange reason you decide to grab a random community member to write a Halo novel, I've got dibs.
Favorite cutscenes in Halo? Halo 4's prologue is pretty up there for the reasons y'all stated, but shout out to Prepare to Drop.

The ODSTs of Alpha Nine chit-chatting, getting to know and like them all, and then the drop straight into Hell. "We are droppin' into Hell, troopers! Time to grow a pair!"

I get so immersed in that scene every time and flinch every. Single. Time. Mickey's pod slams into Rookie's.
This week in Canon Fodder, we chat sentimental cinematics, #HUNTtheTRUTH, and sound the call for content. Plus, new entries in the Universe!

Read more here...

<3
Grim
So can we get what CCS, CRS and RCS stand for and what each letter denotes?
Does RCS stand for Reverence Consecration Salvation for instance?

Other than that this canon fodder was top kek.
8/8
-IGN

Favourite cutscenes:
Episode 6 of SpOps because of all the Sangheili dialogue.
Thel's for watching the Arbiter naked in Halo 2A and making a meme out of it or 2 but the second meme was heresy.
The cutscene where Rtas pays the Hierarchs a visit
Oh and Regret's awesome monologue in that hologram.
Welp this was very meh. :/
Just a small, mostly minor, nitpick:
There are more measurements to ships than just length. It would be nice if we could have the height and width of the ships as well.
SC Matt 7 wrote:
There are more measurements to ships than just length. It would be nice if we could have the height and width of the ships as well.
I'd rather some dimensions on Forerunner ships and info on ships like UNSC Dawn under Heaven and UNSC Trafalgar. *sigh*
TGLT BL4cK wrote:

Read more here...

<3
Grim

8/8
-IGN

Favourite cutscenes:
Thel's for watching the Arbiter naked in Halo 2A and making a meme out of it or 2 but the second meme was heresy.
We already did.
C means its dedicated anti ship and S means it has a ventral beam (aka glassing beam).
SC Matt 7 wrote:
I'd rather some dimensions on Forerunner ships and info on ships like UNSC Dawn under Heaven and UNSC Trafalgar. *sigh*
TGLT BL4cK wrote:

Read more here...

<3
Grim

8/8
-IGN

Favourite cutscenes:
We already did.
C means its dedicated anti ship and S means it has a ventral beam (aka glassing beam).
1) It would be sort of depressing if we only get the length of the Forerunner vessels/UNSC Trafalgar/UNSC Dawn Under Heaven, and not the height/width as well.
2) There are other letters than C, R, and S that still need clarification. Like P, A, or V.
*heavy sigh*

I was going to pick apart some things said by the other devs, but I don't want to get in trouble...Suffice to say though the lack of understanding of the in-universe timeline I see in some of their comments concerns me, among other things. (>_>')

Honestly I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned any scenes from 'Halo: Reach' too. Several cinematics where the members of Noble Team played off each other were very well written, animated, and acted. Those kind of character moments were fairly sparse in the other 4 main title games.
I was doing LASO on halo 3! Sierra 117. That's why I'm so late.

Hope you enjoy your time there!

I like the Autumn-class cruisers, I hope they have energy shielding, and most other military ships and facilities. I also wonder of post war MAC yields. The UNSC Commonwealth in early humans covenant war could fire a MAC round that would have a kinetic energy of 64 kilotons. Orbital Defense Platforms can fire MAC rounds that have some 51.6 or giggatons of kinetic energy.

I wonder if I should make a video about these two ships to submit them to the halo channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_AIKpP3wI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGZZk1fxu6E
UNSC Pure Wooden Defender - Paris Class Heavy Cruiser
And
UNSC Red and Blue - Halcyon Class Light Cruiser.
I made them both, out of wooden coffee stirring sticks. Problem is, these two videos lack the resolution and production value.

Also I've been thinking on doing a sort of archeological halo series where I'd go around levels, campaign, multiplayer, whatever and like an archeologist, sort of theorize on the environments and architecture. For instance, the cryoroom on Pillar of Autumn has some interesting things. There is a sort of grid floor near the cryo pods, through them we can see a sort of tunnel/tube/rails which indicates that cryopods can be ejected into space via those 'tunnels'. Considering there is a shield testing station, that room and the adjacent one was probably dedicated to the Spartan-IIs for Red Flag and shield testing after cryosleep. The orientation lights? That appears to be standard as such system could be useful in reorienting personnel who wake up from cryosleep, and to see if they're alright (see allergic reactions). Into the corridors, there are some interesting piston looking yellow tubes. I theorize those are actually sort of shock absorbers. When the ship is hit or shaken, kinetic energy is absorbed, allowing the shock to be absorbed and not deal a lot of damage, and turned into heat. Smart.

So that's the type of observations such a series can provide. Halo environments have a lot of environmental story telling and contain a lot of information.
erickyboo wrote:
I was doing LASO on halo 3! Sierra 117. That's why I'm so late.

Hope you enjoy your time there!

I like the Autumn-class cruisers, I hope they have energy shielding, and most other military ships and facilities. I also wonder of post war MAC yields. The UNSC Commonwealth in early humans covenant war could fire a MAC round that would have a kinetic energy of 64 kilotons. Orbital Defense Platforms can fire MAC rounds that have some 51.6 or giggatons of kinetic energy.

I wonder if I should make a video about these two ships to submit them to the halo channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_AIKpP3wI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGZZk1fxu6E
UNSC Pure Wooden Defender - Paris Class Heavy Cruiser
And
UNSC Red and Blue - Halcyon Class Light Cruiser.
I made them both, out of wooden coffee stirring sticks. Problem is, these two videos lack the resolution and production value.

Also I've been thinking on doing a sort of archeological halo series where I'd go around levels, campaign, multiplayer, whatever and like an archeologist, sort of theorize on the environments and architecture. For instance, the cryoroom on Pillar of Autumn has some interesting things. There is a sort of grid floor near the cryo pods, through them we can see a sort of tunnel/tube/rails which indicates that cryopods can be ejected into space via those 'tunnels'. Considering there is a shield testing station, that room and the adjacent one was probably dedicated to the Spartan-IIs for Red Flag and shield testing after cryosleep. The orientation lights? That appears to be standard as such system could be useful in reorienting personnel who wake up from cryosleep, and to see if they're alright (see allergic reactions). Into the corridors, there are some interesting piston looking yellow tubes. I theorize those are actually sort of shock absorbers. When the ship is hit or shaken, kinetic energy is absorbed, allowing the shock to be absorbed and not deal a lot of damage, and turned into heat. Smart.

So that's the type of observations such a series can provide. Halo environments have a lot of environmental story telling and contain a lot of information.
The wooden ship is impressive! I really like the Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider concept for a Halo game! Say it was open world with a story (like Far Cry 4) where you are an ONI civillian scientist working on a scientific vessel that travels to one or two planets and you get to explore the planet for Forerunner/Ancient Human/Covenant/Precursor artifacts! That'td be cool, but even with Laura Croft's 8.5 million game sales, a Halo themed take on the explorer type game wouldn't be considered a smash hit.
SC Matt 7 wrote:
SC Matt 7 wrote:
TGLT BL4cK wrote:

Read more here...

<3
Grim

8/8
-IGN

Favourite cutscenes:
We already did.
1) It would be sort of depressing if we only get the length of the Forerunner vessels/UNSC Trafalgar/UNSC Dawn Under Heaven, and not the height/width as well.
2) There are other letters than C, R, and S that still need clarification. Like P, A, or V.
1) True but that is what the Guide/encyclopedias are for. Plus I want to see you update your SB profile pic (I'm Sam Gall BTW).
2) True. I think we got O as well but P, V, A, and D were not specified.
I love Canon Fodder!! Thanks for all that you do for us GrimBrother One!!
Appreciated this update greatly. It's the smaller things about canon that all come together to make an enjoyable universe.

Just one question though about some wording: When you were talking about R'tas in the Arbiter cutscene, you referred to him as a Shipmaster. Does that mean that he also controlled a ship during his time as Special Operations Commander?
A couple canon fodders ago Grim mentioned naming conventions, but only some. I'll try and paraphrase as best as I can. Ship classes consists of 3 letters which denote their Primary, Secondary and Tertiary features, in that order.
  • O is for ordained, meaning it is augmented by forerunner tech.
  • R is for reverence, referring to missions related to reconnaissance and possible excavations.
  • S is for salvation, meaning the ship possesses a glassing beam
  • C is for cruiser
  • DD is for destroyer
I don't believe letters like P, V or A have been mentioned. The letters simply list characteristics of the ship and letters are arranged in order of how prominent they are. To illustrate, "O" can be at the very beginning of the name of one class (ORS) if the forerunner enhancements are a distinguishing point, but at the end of the name of another class (CSO), if that feature isn't as defining. I also don't know what it means for 2 letters to be in the same name (CCS).
Will we be getting more beef to the two universe entries in the future because they seem a little thin to me...

I would suggest to add;

Known ships of the line (All known ships of each class)
More dimensions
Troop payload, armour payload (As in mechanised- tanks, hogs etc) and small craft (fighters and dropships)
Weaponry (MACs and what model, missiles? Point-defences? etc) and how many of each
Armour plating and thickness of such
Images of each class! Some people may not know the distinctions between the RCS and CCS-class cruisers, or the Halcyons and Marathons and so forth.

Quick question relating to starships; if we say X ship has 2 metres of armour, is that an average for the ship or does that mean the ship has uniform 2m of armour plating?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2