Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 5-1-15: Puzzled Expression

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This week in Canon Fodder, we look back on an epic community effort, revisit on old favorite, and continue hunting the truth.

Read more here...

<3
Grim
Also, to address the inevitable, we have started awarding Fodder Feeder badges. Some people will already have them, and others are being processed. :-)
Also, to address the inevitable, we have started awarding Fodder Feeder badges. Some people will already have them, and others are being processed. :-)
Am I getting one since I was in the first Canon Fodder and asked a vital question?
This week in Canon Fodder, we look back on an epic community effort, revisit on old favorite, and continue hunting the truth.

Read more here...

<3
Grim
Very good post this week. No need to answer, but that little week in Halo deal all but confirmed that Blue Team will be in Halo 5: Guardians. So pumped and can't wait for E3!
Oh hi! Unexpected time. So the UEG's based in Australia, ah!
More of that mysterious fate of the party at Erebus VII. Although for some reason I can imagine a group of space pirates, taking over the abandoned base and maybe taking some strange creatures with them.

Been a while since I read ghosts of onyx.

Also it does, at least mildly, annoy me when people say Storm Covenant. Hopefully this will make metaphorical waves and help people call it the Covenant.
Short and sweet after giant and awesome! Can't wait to see what's in store next week
So I knew about the UEG being officially formed in 2170 as a consequence of the conflicts of the 2160s, but the 2204 bit is new information, and is still awesome. But what about 2075? I thought that was its very beginning....or at least that's what it says in the Halo 4 The Essential Visual Guide on page 229:

"UEG- Unified Earth Government: A centralized governing administration for all human territories, including solar and extrasolar colonies, established in 2075."

Thanks for the new canon fodder too! It was great! :D
So the mystery of Erebus VII eludes us yet again.
Quote:
Erickyboo:

Also it does, at least mildly, annoy me when people say Storm Covenant. Hopefully this will make metaphorical waves and help people call it the Covenant.
I personally will no longer call them the Storm Covenant as that clarification of what exactly Storm stands for has been beautifully answered. I will now simply call them Jul's Covenant.

The issue is Jul's Covenant isn't The Covenant. They believe they're The Covenant, but they're not. Just like Merg Vol, Sali 'Nyon, and anybody else that believes their Covenant is The Covenant, even though they're not.

It's just like Zef in Escalation #5 said when asked if Gajat was Covenant anymore: "What does it mean to be Covenant anymore? A hundred warlords claim they rule the Covenant, but each of them leads only a small faction."

While the Cannon Fodder did explain that Jul's Covenant will never officially be called the Storm Covenant, which is fine by me thanks to the clarification, and while Cannon Fodder does acknowledge the said issue with multiple factions believing they're The Covenant, the issue still remains as to what they're officially called, because they're not The Covenant.

While I guess it's cute Jul's Covenant thinks they're The Covenant, the UNSC can't believe that due to all the other people leading different Covenant factions believing they're The Covenant also. Shouldn't the UNSC give them a name? Like how the Elite's species name is officially the Sangheili, even though the UNSC calls them Elites. Shouldn't the same thing be applied to Jul's Covenant?

That's my issue with it anyways.

Also, I've got to wonder why "Covenant Remnant" is wrong, but "Covenant Splinter Sect" is right (that's what Merg's forces were officially considered in Spartan Assault).
Well, no clever puns for me to catch this week, eh Grim?
Halo Maaan wrote:
Quote:
Erickyboo:

I personally will no longer call them the Storm Covenant as that clarification of what exactly Storm stands for has been beautifully answered. I will now simply call them Jul's Covenant.

The issue is Jul's Covenant isn't The Covenant. They believe they're The Covenant, but they're not. Just like Merg Vol, Sali Nyon, and anybody else that believes their Covenant is The Covenant, even though they're not.

It's just like Zef 'Trahl in Escalation #5 said when asked if Gajat was Covenant anymore: "What does it mean to be Covenant anymore? A hundred warlords claim they rule the Covenant, but each of them leads only a small faction."

While the Cannon Fodder did explain that Jul's Covenant will never be officially called the Storm Covenant, which is fine by me thanks to the clarification, the issue still remains as to what they're officially called, because they're not The Covenant.

While I guess it's cute Jul's Covenant thinks they're The Covenant, the UNSC can't believe that due to all the other people leading different Covenant factions believing their The Covenant also. Shouldn't the UNSC give them a name? Like how the Elite's species name is officially the Sangheili, even though the UNSC calls them Elites. Shouldn't the same thing be applied to Jul's Covenant?

They're the Covenant. That's simply it. Maybe Covenant (Jul 'Mdama's faction) for clarification nut it's simply covenant. And it's been clear for a long time that they're not called storm. Storm refers to a role/rank. A journalist called them the wrong thing and people have been using that. It annoys me similarly in the way people saying rouge instead of rogue annoys me, or turrent instead of turret.
erickyboo wrote:
Halo Maaan wrote:
Quote:
Erickyboo:

The issue is Jul's Covenant isn't The Covenant. They believe they're The Covenant, but they're not. Just like Merg Vol, Sali Nyon, and anybody else that believes their Covenant is The Covenant, even though they're not.

It's just like Zef 'Trahl in Escalation #5 said when asked if Gajat was Covenant anymore: "What does it mean to be Covenant anymore? A hundred warlords claim they rule the Covenant, but each of them leads only a small faction."

While the Cannon Fodder did explain that Jul's Covenant will never be officially called the Storm Covenant, which is fine by me thanks to the clarification, the issue still remains as to what they're officially called, because they're not The Covenant.

While I guess it's cute Jul's Covenant thinks they're The Covenant, the UNSC can't believe that due to all the other people leading different Covenant factions believing their The Covenant also. Shouldn't the UNSC give them a name? Like how the Elite's species name is officially the Sangheili, even though the UNSC calls them Elites. Shouldn't the same thing be applied to Jul's Covenant?

They're the Covenant. That's simply it. Maybe Covenant (Jul 'Mdama's faction) for clarification nut it's simply covenant. And it's been clear for a long time that they're not called storm. Storm refers to a role/rank. A journalist called them the wrong thing and people have been using that. It annoys me similarly in the way people saying rouge instead of rogue annoys me, or turrent instead of turret.
I called Jul's Covenant the Storm Covenant because of the rank. Instead of the Elite/Grunt/Jackal "Minors" being called Minors, they were called Storm. I saw that as them being part of the Storm Covenant.

I can understand the annoyance, but it was never clear that they weren't called Storm because no one came out and said they're not Storm until now. They were just called the Covenant. Just like Merg's forces were called the Covenant.

While it can simply be put that they're The Covenant, and it helps that they're the biggest Covenant threat so far/they're the main Covenant force the UNSC's been fighting the most, they're still not The Covenant. The Covenant disbanded at the end of the Human-Covenant War. What remains of any minor faction is simply a faction wishing to revive The Covenant.

I'm about to exaggerate a scenario a bit, but if three different Covenant forces are fighting each other, who's The Covenant? Each of them believe they're The Covenant, but which one really is? Does the UNSC believe they're fighting against The Covenant, The Covenant, and The Covenant? Do they scream "Covenant forces detected from the east" as The Covenant is fighting them from the west and The Covenant is arriving from the south? There's no clarification on who exactly they're fighting. If it was "Storm Covenant detected from the east!", then they can expect Prometheans coming from there, while "Assault Covenant" has Brutes from the west and "Combat Covenant" has Sharquoi arriving from the south.

The issue is Jul's Covenant believes they're The Covenant, and that's why they're called The Covenant. But let's say Sali 'Nyon survives/escapes and revives his own Covenant, are they suddenly The Covenant because they believe they are? No. So why should Jul get a pass on that?

What about the Universe section on Waypoint about the Characters? While it doesn't currently say what Jul's affiliation, let's just say it did simply say Covenant, because he believes he's the leader of The Covenant. And then they add Merg Vol into the Character section. What would his affiliation say? Covenant because he believes he's the leader of The Covenant? Does that mean Jul and Merg were in the same Covenant, working together? It sure does sound like it, but they weren't. Again, there's no real clarification.

Again, that's just my issue with it all. I know I might be a bit stubborn about it, but it irks me.
Great Job, Grim, as usual :3
Two things: I'm an admin of 17k Guardians, the biggest Halo Community in Italy, and the all staff has worked together with other community on puzzle. It
was a fantastic experience, thanks for this opportunity! My boss, Marco (Sanana94) wrote this to thank the community and i'd like to share it with all of you <3
Quote:
It was years that I was waiting for a similar occasion, as soon as I received the email, I suddenly realised what it was about and I didn’t wait a second to post everything on Halo Waypoint and that was the beginning of the true adventure… It didn’t take much before I started to know lots of other fans with whom I could share my passion for Halo. They were as excited as I was each time a piece of the puzzle was coming out from the web. There were 117 pieces that, once assembled one to another, created that amazing poster for Halo 5 Guardians, I still wonder where some of those pieces have came out! The puzzle has been completed at 1.17pm, when Greenskull posted the last piece. All the fandom has gone crazy, and that’s amazing! But the Way, this message is my thanksgiving to all of you, each of those who have interacted with me in any way in these days, even just saying “hello”. I want to thank You with my heart to have shared with me this amazing adventure, for showing me how strong and unite is the Halo Community in these occasions and for making me feel part of it.

Thank You,
Marco C. – Sanana94
(Here the full article http://www.halo.17kgroup.it/news/9456-la-caccia-e-finita-nuova-cover-art-e-nuovo-video-per-halo-5/ )

And... There is an error in the Canon Fodder! In THIS WEEK IN HALO HISTORY you wrote "[...] in the Halo universe at the beginning of May in 2536, [...]" but, as you wrote after, that fact is set in 2531! ^^
The mysteries endure...
These 'Cannon Fodder's are great - thanks Grim.

Gotta say I agree with Halo m4n on the whole name issue.

The UNSC is definitely going to give the different factions both official names and unofficial ones - that the troops will use for clarity and simplicity.
-names that are catchy and easily identifiable in combat situations..... such as 'Storm Covenant'.

Lets face it - that's what the community has pretty much already done.

Maybe this whole issue being brought up at this time is an attempt to keep it unclear who the 'Covenant incoming' are in the Arbiter/Locke trailer. Like it wasn't already.

Edit:
Just wanted to say it was great to see the folk from all over (like the Italian chaps above) coming together for the poster search.
Short and sweet, just the way I like it! ;)

Wait...that came out wrong..... wait so did that >.<

So much fun had in pulling together all those puzzle pieces and it looks like more fun on the way. Still curious about Ben's notice of violation and what the left side QR/Barcode is for. Further digging required :)
stckrboy wrote:
Short and sweet, just the way I like it! ;)

Wait...that came out wrong..... wait so did that >.<

So much fun had in pulling together all those puzzle pieces and it looks like more fun on the way. Still curious about Ben's notice of violation and what the left side QR/Barcode is for. Further digging required :)
Well I would guess its a PDF417 code... That said I am struggling to read it.
I'm just glad for the Covenant name clarrification. I've argued for this naming numerous times in the past. The UNSC doesn't need to give them a fancy designation. If they did need to differentiate between the group's, they'd likely just use the name of that faction's leader. Chances are, with Jul's connections to the Prometheans, his group will grow in power and absorb many of the other groups.
Minor typo in the last paragraph of the UEG entry: "thus considered an ineffectial front for the military by many living outside the Sol system." Otherwise, nice work as always. I love getting these little snippets every week.
Good read. I also love how the community came together last week, as well.
NessunoY59 wrote:
Great Job, Grim, as usual :3
Two things: I'm an admin of 17k Guardians, the biggest Halo Community in Italy, and the all staff has worked together with other community on puzzle. It
was a fantastic experience, thanks for this opportunity! My boss, Marco (Sanana94) wrote this to thank the community and i'd like to share it with all of you <3
Quote:
It was years that I was waiting for a similar occasion, as soon as I received the email, I suddenly realised what it was about and I didn’t wait a second to post everything on Halo Waypoint and that was the beginning of the true adventure… It didn’t take much before I started to know lots of other fans with whom I could share my passion for Halo. They were as excited as I was each time a piece of the puzzle was coming out from the web. There were 117 pieces that, once assembled one to another, created that amazing poster for Halo 5 Guardians, I still wonder where some of those pieces have came out! The puzzle has been completed at 1.17pm, when Greenskull posted the last piece. All the fandom has gone crazy, and that’s amazing! But the Way, this message is my thanksgiving to all of you, each of those who have interacted with me in any way in these days, even just saying “hello”. I want to thank You with my heart to have shared with me this amazing adventure, for showing me how strong and unite is the Halo Community in these occasions and for making me feel part of it.

Thank You,
Marco C. – Sanana94
(Here the full article http://www.halo.17kgroup.it/news/9456-la-caccia-e-finita-nuova-cover-art-e-nuovo-video-per-halo-5/ )

Thanks so much for sharing that! Will pass it along to the team here as well :-)
Fodder Feeder badges should all be awarded now, fyi.

<3
Grim
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2