Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 5-13-16: The Write Stuff

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This week in Canon Fodder, we're excited to announce Halo: Fractures!

Read more here...

<3
Grim
This week in Canon Fodder, we're excited to announce Halo: Fractures!

Read more here...

<3
Grim
Seems interesting thanks Grim!
Another lovely collection of lore to add to my...um...collection :D
Looking forward to Fractures!
FERRETS
FERRETS
FERRETS GUYS
I havent really been getting the books lately, but this might be enough to suck me back into it.
No last name reveals for Noble? Lame.
Got a question, so if the members of Noble retain their naval ranks are they officially navy and just attached to the Army, or are they officially transferred to the Army (and if that why didn't they adopt army ranks, ex Carter becoming a lieutenant colonel and Kat becoming a major)

Also why is the head of the Spartan branch a civilian?

Great info as always Grimm!
Grim, this is by far the best Canon fodder in months. FANTASTIC job. I have been begging for another Evolutions like anthology for years. I am so incredibly excited.

Expanding on the lore of Noble after all of these years is also a welcome surprise. I just wish some references to A Fistful of Arrows was made so we could finally confirm it as canon. Thank you for acknowledging Carter's immense age-gap on the rest of Alpha Company, and finally giving us real explanations for how the members of Noble managed to escape PROMETHEUS and TORPEDO.

I do have one question. Under Kat's entry it says:

Quote:
Kat-B320 was born in the city of Monastir, one of the three "jewel cities" on the colony of New Harmony. Though her father had already been killed in action on Harvest and her mother died of cancer in 2536, the fact that her living grandmother was a retired Army General meant her conscription into the SPARTAN-III program would arouse too many political issues. However, when Kat's grandmother was killed during the fall of New Harmony, ONI seized the chance to induct Kat. Brilliant, athletic, and beholden to the UNSC even before her indoctrination began, Kat was marked for special assignment shortly after her augmentations were completed. She and Carter-A259 formed the core of Noble Team, a unit found within a special tasks division of the SPARTAN-III program assigned to SPECWARCOM.
This doesn't seem to fit with what was established in Evolutions.I believe it was mentioned that Cancer had basically been cured hundreds of years prior to the 2500's, in the short story Midnight in the Heart of the Midlothian by Frank O'Connor.

"Cancer ceased to be commonplace in the Human genome by the 22nd century, though cases appeared from time to time as far as the 26th century. However, these could be treated easily by this time." - Halo Evolutions, Page 81.
This is a great Canon Fodder, thanks Grim.
IxDue 58 wrote:
Grim, this is by far the best Canon fodder in months. FANTASTIC job. I have been begging for another Evolutions like anthology for years. I am so incredibly excited.

Expanding on the lore of Noble after all of these years is also a welcome surprise. I just wish some references to A Fistful of Arrows was made so we could finally confirm it as canon. Thank you for acknowledging Carter's immense age-gap on the rest of Alpha Company, and finally giving us real explanations for how the members of Noble managed to escape PROMETHEUS and TORPEDO.

Quote:
Kat-B320 was born in the city of Monastir, one of the three "jewel cities" on the colony of New Harmony. Though her father had already been killed in action on Harvest and her mother died of cancer in 2536, the fact that her living grandmother was a retired Army General meant her conscription into the SPARTAN-III program would arouse too many political issues. However, when Kat's grandmother was killed during the fall of New Harmony, ONI seized the chance to induct Kat. Brilliant, athletic, and beholden to the UNSC even before her indoctrination began, Kat was marked for special assignment shortly after her augmentations were completed. She and Carter-A259 formed the core of Noble Team, a unit found within a special tasks division of the SPARTAN-III program assigned to SPECWARCOM.
This doesn't seem to fit with what was established in Evolutions.I believe it was mentioned that Cancer had basically been cured hundreds of years prior to the 2500's, in the short story Midnight in the Heart of the Midlothian by Frank O'Connor.

"Cancer ceased to be commonplace in the Human genome by the 22nd century, though cases appeared from time to time as far as the 26th century. However, these could be treated easily by this time." - Halo Evolutions, Page 81.
Not necessarily. As shown in Halo: Nightfall, humanity's access to certain technologies and luxuries varies wildly across UEG space.
Onyx81 wrote:
IxDue 58 wrote:

Quote:

Not necessarily. As shown in Halo: Nightfall, humanity's access to certain technologies and luxuries varies wildly across UEG space.
I agree with you, but the same paragraph says Kat's family was one of the best cities on New Harmony. I'd think they'd have access to this "common treatment"
Quote:

These scattered stories span untold millennia, from the age of the ancient custodial race known as the Forerunners…to the aftermath of the Covenant’s bloody war against humanity…and even the shocking events surrounding the resurrection of the mysterious Guardians.

Care to peek in on some ferrets, or read beyond rebirth? Interested in Spartans that have had their worlds turned inside out, or unknown Warrior-Servants looking for greater purpose?
OMG, there's all I want to know <3
IxDue 58 wrote:

Quote:

Maybe they couldn't afford it.

I realized how stupid that sounds after typing it.
Woohoooooooooooooooo! So excited grim! Between the tales from slip space and fractures, I think I'll be a bit more set this year now.

As for cancer, perhaps it's a thing that she let go until it was too late?

Great canon fodder issue. And nice shout out to halo canon.

I noticed, Morgan Lockheart, doesn't she work at 343i with you guys?

I don't know if t will happen but I'm hoping that some of these stories will sort of include some of the new tech stuff and new variants seen in guardians. Like, kinetic bolts, bubble shields, armour abilities and so on. It would feel nice to have them be outside the games.
I havent really been getting the books lately, but this might be enough to suck me back into it.
Same
"Jun eventually escaped Reach and was later selected to lead the development of SPARTAN-IV alongside Admiral Musa."

Still no explanation as to how exactly he accomplished this. I wonder if one of those short stories will explain it and it's left vague here so it doesn't spoil it?
"Jun eventually escaped Reach and was later selected to lead the development of SPARTAN-IV alongside Admiral Musa."

Still no explanation as to how exactly he accomplished this. I wonder if one of those short stories will explain it and it's left vague here so it doesn't spoil it?
From Canon Fodder Issue 18...

Q: How did Jun-A266 escape Reach?
Drone223A: While it is widely known that Spartan-III Jun-A266 – the only surviving member of Noble Team – is currently serving in vital capacities for the SPARTAN-IV program, the details of his survival and escape from Reach remain buried under fistfuls of black ink and red tape.

<3
Grim

From Canon Fodder Issue 18...

Q: How did Jun-A266 escape Reach?
Drone223A: While it is widely known that Spartan-III Jun-A266 – the only surviving member of Noble Team – is currently serving in vital capacities for the SPARTAN-IV program, the details of his survival and escape from Reach remain buried under fistfuls of black ink and red tape.

<3
Grim
Pretty much. 343i(plus Grim) doesnt want to explore that particular part of the lore for a rather nice reason.

While the story is non-canon. A fistful of arrows is a story loved at 343i that they dont want to overshadow it.

Also considering how well produced AFOA was. Making a story that matches how good it was would be hard.(for that small timeframe I mean)
New Halo lore!?1!!? I can't wait! Hype!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2